start date of the work permit

Hello everybody,

I am new on the Forum and I am going to move to Thailand.

I am going to arrive in Thailand around 20 June with a non-B visa, then the process for the work permit will start (that-s what I was told).

I have a question about the date of start and end of my work permit: will they be 20 June 2019 and 19 June 2020? (i.e. the date I arrive in Thailand and 1 year later)

Or they will be the date of issue of the work permit (I do not know how long it will take) and 1 year after such date?

Thanks,

Ben

The work permit will start on the day it is issued, which depends on how quickly your company will process the papers and go to the Employment office. The office will usually issue the WP within 3 working days, at least this was my experience.

Note that also your salary will start from the date of the WP.

22 minutes ago, BenLa said:

Thank you for the clear information!

Keep in mind that no matter what the company tells you you legally cannot start work until the work permit has been issued, and it belongs to you not the company. You can if you want let the company hold it for you but that is your choice.

Can't remember exactly but it costs only 1800 to 2000 baht for a one year work permit.

Someone can correct me on price, no problem.

23 minutes ago, BenLa said:

So I shoukd not work even if I have a Non-B Visa?

A B visa or any visa does not allow to you work unless you are just visiting to attend meetings etc on behalf of your EU, USA whatever company or say a seminar for a couple of days and sign papers etc.

For full time eg 9 till 5 monday to friday or even part time 2 or 3 days a week etc you must have a work permit

If you don't mind saying, what is the job?  No need for company name etc just the proposed work.

Edited by overherebc

2 hours ago, BenLa said:

So I shoukd not work even if I have a Non-B Visa?

You should not officially work (=sit in your office or whatever) until you have a work permit. Not only you would be working illegally if you start before, but as I said your company will start computing your salary only from the WP start date.

It should be a delay of 1-2 weeks, so not a big deal.

The visa (and the subsequent extensions that you will need) are only a permit to stay in the country, separated from a permit to work. Visa (and extensions) dates will differ slightly from the dates of WP. When you do your first visa extension, don't forget to apply for a (single or multiple) re-entry permit as well in case you plan to leave Thailand temporarily in the subsequent year, otherwise your permit to stay will be voided even if you travel e.g. for work and even if your WP is still valid.

At least for me, all costs associated with the WP, extensions, re-entry, were paid/refunded by the company so make sure to obtain receipts.

As overhebec said, do not surrender your WP to the company even if they ask. A photocopy for them should suffice (they will also need to show something  in case of inspections). Your WP will be a useful document for you to show when opening a bank account, obtaining a driver's license, etc. 

Have a good start.

Edited by arithai12

No problem. I won't work before I have the WP.

I was very good in "doing nothing" and I think I still have this talent.

Arithai, in your first reply you wrote that the WP is usually issued within 3 working days; in your last message you referred to 1-2 weeks.

...how long it takes?