Update bank book on the same day

28 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Has anyone gotten Kasikorn Bank to update their 12 month fixed deposit bank book without making a deposit or withdrawal?... 

I'm still confused with this thread. My next extension will be with FD ac. 

In the past using savings ac, I have been required to show bank letter AND the bankbook showing activity on day of application. This is easy if done with banks at CW imm. The op question and mine is can I show activity on the day for a FD ac.

My first ever extension at cw I had bank letter however the io required to see activity in my bankbook ON THE DAY. My tgf was with me to run off and make a 100baht deposit. So back to the question...how is this done with FD account. Or is it simple as imm not requiring activity for FD ac?

Edited by DrJack54

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The op question and mine is can I show activity on the day for a FD ac.

With an FD account, theoretically your deposit will not be touched.

Imm want the balance on the day of application and to ensure you haven't fallen below the amount required for any seasoning period.

With Bangkok bank you can update on the day without any transactions.

Other banks still use 3rd world technology and you have to make a deposit on the day to update the account.

The fact their are no transactions between the date of your deposit and the date of updating the book should present all the information the IO needs.

You could also request a 6/12 month bank statement for the account.

Edited by Tanoshi

Years ago I used to go to Bangkok Bank and request a verification letter to show Immigration. I used to have to wait a few days for the letter and then take it along with the passbook to Immigration on the same day.

Then I started using the income affidavit letter from the Embassy up until 2018.

This year I will revert back to the 800,000 passbook again but will not have it in the bank in time for the 90 day prior requirement. I just returned from the U.S, so will be about 27 days shy of 90 days. Don’t know if Immigration allows any wiggle room on that time requirement?

Actually I wasn’t going to renew my retirement visa this year because I have been living in the U.S., but I own a nice condo here that my wife wants to keep and I figure the 800,000 will be for her and my son when I pass away. 

I know that ‘Visa Services’ can do renewals, but have never used one, always did it myself. Be just my luck they would mess it up.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

how is this done with FD account. Or is it simple as imm not requiring activity for FD ac?

You could deposit a million baht into it the day you do the extension, on top of the 800k, or withdraw a permissible amount providing 800k remains. As said, with Kasikorn, if there are no transactions, the update prints nothing. With Bangkok Bank, a new line is printed so no problem. I recall someone saying one office accepted that their bank did not do an update line and got the extension. The bank letter should cover it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You could deposit a million baht into it the day you do the extension, on top of the 800k, or withdraw a permissible amount providing 800k remains. As said, with Kasikorn, if there are no transactions, the update prints nothing. With Bangkok Bank, a new line is printed so no problem. I recall someone saying one office accepted that their bank did not do an update line and got the extension. The bank letter should cover it. 

One of the issues is a lack of intelligence and training with how to understand the various evidence supplied by foreigners, in the form of Savings accounts, Fixed term and Foreign currency accounts.

Thais have different types of accounts.

Most IO's will presumably have a Thai chequing account, and use their debit card to withdraw and check balances, most probably never receive statements or update passbooks.

Last year whilst presenting an updated passbook from a fixed term account (opened 9 months previously) the IO couldn't understand why their were no transactions recorded and couldn't understand the significance of the dates. 12 month term opened xxxxxxxx, balance brought forward date xxxxxxxx.

Unbelievable! 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

... The bank letter should cover it. 

It would be nice if immigration would see it the same way!

The bank letter shows the balance from the current day. That should do it.

Edited by thpitsch

Just now, thpitsch said:

The bank book shows the balance from the current day. That should do it.

Well actually no, apparently a Kasikorn FD book will not. The bank letter should confirm the balance that day though.

While much of the advice and thoughts are appreciated, I still and far from convinced that "all is good". I have FD Kasikorn bank. I hoping someone will be along to say something like.... "I did my extension last week. I have a FD with K bank and obtained letter from bank at CW on the day. I did not show any activity on the day. The io accepted the bank letter"

There a 2 things that worry me. First is making sure that the bank will provide letter on the day at CW (don't want to be told that I need to do at branch where ac opened or some such). Second is that the io will accept the letter, without activity on the day, as I have always done in past using savings ac. And yes it was required by the io.

The first worry I hopefully clear up at my bank with a visit gf in tow. 

Edited by DrJack54

35 minutes ago, thpitsch said:

It would be nice if immigration would see it the same way!

The bank letter shows the balance from the current day. That should do it.

The bank letter from Bangkok bank confirms my ID as the account holder, the account number, the date the term started and the balance as of that day.

The passbook also states the term, the date opened and the balance of that day.

In other words an identical mirror image.

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The bank letter from Bangkok bank confirms my ID as the account holder, the account number, the date the term started and the balance as of that day.

The passbook also states the term, the date opened and the balance of that day.

In other words an identical mirror image.

My guess is that Immigration is aware that agents can more easily “produce” a bank letter than a bank book printout... ????

22 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Deposit 100 baht at KK to update the book.

I doubt FD type accounts accept anytime deposits of such a small amount. I found info suggesting 1000 minimum deposit.

I fail to understand that a letter from your bank dated the same day as your application should be any different to making a deposit.  After all, you can make the deposit, update your passbook then draw it out again (without updating your passbook) all before going to immigration.

It makes zero sense.  Try getting an immigration officer to explain the logic behind it.  They won't be able to.

44 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I fail to understand that a letter from your bank dated the same day as your application should be any different to making a deposit.  After all, you can make the deposit, update your passbook then draw it out again (without updating your passbook) all before going to immigration.

It makes zero sense.  Try getting an immigration officer to explain the logic behind it.  They won't be able to.

It's not about logic, it's about following the rules only.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

While much of the advice and thoughts are appreciated, I still and far from convinced that "all is good". I have FD Kasikorn bank. I hoping someone will be along to say something like.... "I did my extension last week. I have a FD with K bank and obtained letter from bank at CW on the day. I did not show any activity on the day. The io accepted the bank letter"

There a 2 things that worry me. First is making sure that the bank will provide letter on the day at CW (don't want to be told that I need to do at branch where ac opened or some such). Second is that the io will accept the letter, without activity on the day, as I have always done in past using savings ac. And yes it was required by the io.

The first worry I hopefully clear up at my bank with a visit gf in tow. 

I did use FD with K bank some years ago. It was always possible to update the bank book, but not at the machine. You have to go to the counter and ask/tell them to update manually (insist if necessary). If they only update it at the machine you'll get the date of the last movement what is not accepted by most IO's.

1 minute ago, swissbie said:

I did use FD with K bank some years ago. It was always possible to update the bank book, but not at the machine. You have to go to the counter and ask/tell them to update manually (insist if necessary). If they only update it at the machine you'll get the date of the last movement what is not accepted by most IO's.

Yes but as I stated...for all my previous extensions I have used savings ac. Obtained bank letter at CW on day of application AND made 100baht deposit to show activity on day of application because this is what CW require.

I don't know if I can make a deposit into FD ac. 

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

You've heard of fake passports, fake ID, etc.   Well, passbooks can be easily faked also. 

The bank letter is an added safeguard to help ensure the passbook is not fake.  A fresh bank letter with bank signatures helps to minimize the faking of bank accounts/balances.   Sure a bank letter could be fake also, but the letter lessens the chances of faking bank accounts/passbooks/balances.

10 hours ago, sirocco said:

The sum of the booklet and the bank letter will be identical.
I did it last year, for Hua Hin.

In a six month fixed rate account? How can you add money to an account that's supposed to be on deposit for 6 months?

10 hours ago, sirocco said:

10,000 b ?????
When you open an account, 1000 b are enough.
Now everything depends on the banks.
I am at the SCB, and 100 b were enough (one hundred b).

Again, a six month fixed deposit account? I doubt any bank would offer you that sort of account with a Baht 100 deposit.

You're talking about a common savings account.

Edited by Suradit69

18 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I can't see what the problem is, other than you need to change your bank.

What the....

Here is a question for you. Actually 2.

1. Can you make a deposit into a fixed term deposit account on day of your application for extension.

2. If not will CW accept the bank letter on the day without  any activity as is required with savings accounts.

Please dont start reply with....."I think....

Edited by DrJack54

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Can you make a deposit into a fixed term deposit account on day of your application for extension.

How about trying to make a deposit well before necessary, just to try it out? That way you will have a definite answer. 

39 minutes ago, fotog said:

How about trying to make a deposit well before necessary, just to try it out? That way you will have a definite answer. 

Yes true. 

In fact going to back today to ask about bank letter and what is required re deposit on day of application. Its just that lot of members on TVF state they use fixed term account. Thought I could obtain definitive advice from the forum. The problem with local branches is it can be very hit and miss with language barrier. I don't blame the bank staff. At bank located at CW imm there would not be a problem asking for info as they do the letters every day. I recall the first one I ever did (savings a/c) and I didn't say a word. The clerk knew exactly what to do even asked for 100baht to deposit into my ac to show activity.