Problems With Educational Visa - Kuala Lumpur

My wife (farang) is a full-time student at Payap International University in Chiang Mai. We have both been in CM for over two years on Non-Immigrant Educational Visas--she as the student and me on the Ed-Dependent visa.

We got our original 1 year visa in the U.S. and the university took care of the extension up until my wife had to leave for a time to get medical care. As such, she and I went to Kuala Lumpur, with all correct paperwork in hand, to get new ED visas.

We were told, quite firmly, that my dependent Ed visa would not be granted as "...we don't do that anymore". Despite politely showing the letter from the university and examples of past visas, they wouldn't budge.

Has anyone else had this problem? Have the educational visa rules changed?

I do not know of a "dependent ED visa" but you can extend your stay in Thailand one year at a time on the basis of being the spouse of a student. For that you should obtain a non immigrant O visa but if they will not provide that a tourist visa can be obtained and then changed by Immigration as part of the extension of stay process. This is an Immigration function - not a Consulate issued visa.

• 4 weeks later...
I do not know of a "dependent ED visa" but you can extend your stay in Thailand one year at a time on the basis of being the spouse of a student. For that you should obtain a non immigrant O visa but if they will not provide that a tourist visa can be obtained and then changed by Immigration as part of the extension of stay process. This is an Immigration function - not a Consulate issued visa.

Hmmm, well, not to be disagreeing with a more experienced individual, but Immigration officials tell me they will not convert a tourist visa to any non-immigrant visa, student or otherwise, and that the visa MUST be obtained out of country...or so they say at the Chiangmai office (last visit Wed. 29 March).

I am hoping, however, that you are correct and I was misinformed. If I could convert it, it would be a load off my mind. Thanks for your reply.

Below is the procedure as outlined on the official Immigration web site five minutes ago. But does not help much if they say no.

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR A FAMILY MEMBER OF AN ALIEN STUDYING IN THAILAND. (APPLICABLE ONLY FATHER OR MOTHER, SPOUSE,CHILD)

In case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Application for visa. (TM.87)

Copy to passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

5.1 Documents proving that the applicant is the spouse, father or mother or child of foreigner ; a marriage certificate or birth certificate, as the case may be. (Certifying by Embassy or Consulate and Ministry of Foreign Affairs.) Or

5.2 Letter from a government office, embassy or consulate, Certifying that the applicant is of the referred family, Or 5.3 a guarantor-letter from The Department of Protocol, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

In case of parents(father or mother) wishing to take care of child/children studying at school in Thailand must show a bank statement from a bank in Thailand showing that the applicant has an account (Saving or fixed deposit) of not less than 500,000 baht, and a document proving foreign remittance.

A letter from the authorized principal or the manager requesting visa or visa status alteration for a parent of the child/ children studying in the school.

Passport of the child/ children.

Remarks

The Applicant must sign every page of application.

The visa applicant must arrange the documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.

Call 02-2873101-10 ext.2237, 02-287-4948 for details.

I have just read another post of yours on a closed thread and it appears your wife is not on an education extension of stay at this time so that is probably why your request for conversion can not be made. Believe such a conversion would require the student to be on the one year extension as that is what the conversion process is all about.

Hi, my wife is on a student visa (the original one she received last July at the Thai consulate in China).

I am on a non-imm O type visa that will expire in May and I would like to extend it at least until July when her visa expires.

I asked at the immigration office in Hua Hin and they said no go -- i.e., that my visa is a only valid 3 months and can only be extended 7 days.

I understand from this forum and elsewhere that I should be allowed to extend for as long as my wife's visa is valid.

I will make the trip to Bangkok if they will do it but I don't want the hassle if it is sure to be a no.

Any suggestions or info will be much appreciated.