Pattaya: 80% of motorcycle taxis are illegal - yet huge raid busts no one!

webfact

50 minutes ago, webfact said:

They also warned the riders about ripping off the public and tourists by not following set charges.

all the ranks are supposed to display the prices - they don't

I give my regular guys 40 baht for a short journey but refuse to give them 80baht for 2 up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snuller21 said:

That mean that 80% of the MC-taxis had a day off? Wauuwww. How on earth did people get around in Pattaya? There must have been huge fights about the few MC-taxis.

You're kidding right. There is an over supply and usually all they do is lounge around drinking, blocking pavements in a harassing way and bothering tourists. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

If hundreds of cops here can't find ANY prostitutes, or any illegal motor bike taxis, you have to say they aren't worthy to call themselves cops. I could find dozens of both without even trying.

But could you find a real cop ?

• Haha 1

would you rather have police stopping, ticketing and fining every mc taxi they see? and have far fewer available to the point that it would be difficult getting a ride? same can be said for the obvious but not obvious oldest profession.

maybe the charade with the 'authorities' declaring innocence among ranks and the citizen affords better personal freedom or rather have to pay 2-4X the current rate for a ride, (mechanical or human ???? while always worried about big brother?

25 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

bike taxis in pattaya is still 10 x cheaper then the taxi mafia in laos, at most they try for another 20. annoying, but tolareabe

I use the Baht bus,

Just to spite the Motor cycle taxi guys,  Rip off, Lazy, drunk, Violent, Thug,  Git's.

2 hours ago, SidJames said:

Each bike rank is 'owned' by a police officer & they each pay him in order to be allowed to work.

That officer will in turn kick up to his boss & so on.

That is the main reason that you rarely see a motobike taxi being pulled over.

The same happens with the street food sellers unless they have a private pitch.

Not disbelieving but you state this so categorically I am curious how you came to know this?

5 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

If hundreds of cops here can't find ANY prostitutes, or any illegal motor bike taxis, you have to say they aren't worthy to call themselves cops. I could find dozens of both without even trying.

Did you consider a job at Pattaya's finest already?