Story of imported item

wreckingcountry

Some weeks ago I purchased some men’s Rogaine Hair ointment from the US! It was shipped by the seller using Fedex ! When the item arrived it was held by customs who spoke with fedex and told me it had to be destroyed because it contained ingredients not allowed to be imported by post unless I had a licence ! If it was brought by air or land by person then that’s no problem ! Furthermore I was informed that I had to pay 1000 baht to have this item destroyed! I have bought this item before and had it shipped by the USPS international with no problems! This has been another disturbing example of Thai hypocrisy and cost me 100$ US! Beware !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, I have run into them asking for import license before or it will be destroyed. So I just had a Thai friend with a factory do it under their license. Customs officials can be total p******. Standard post I hear is the best. All others are scrutinized. 

• Like 1

The destruction fee is a new one on me. I think it was DHL who requested import permits and a full description for a product that had zero change of getting a permit before.

I told them to destroy it and heard nothing more from them. This was a few years ago though.

These days I only use the express couriers for documents, anything else goes by regular post.

I've had all sorts of things sent over, shoes, etc, regular post signed for and tracked, no problems.

They do look inside the regular post packages occasionally though.

I bought a couple of items from Singapore and it was delivered by dhl, I paid the dhl shipping costs then when it arrived dhl refused to deliver it unless I paid their "office costs" on top of the shipping almost doubling the cost. They are simply ripping people off because they know they can get away with it, if you dont pay they keep it themselves

• Like 1

To the OP:

Why did you want to import Rogaine? Curious as it's easily available here both at pharmacies and on Lazada.

What was the banned ingredient customs said? Can't be minoxidil which is the active ingredient in all the local formulations.