EXCLUSIVE: Farang checkout thief who stole 2,000 baht from Thai shopper returns the money - He's British

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ballpoint said:

I wonder how long it will be before all those who accused Jeab of lying about the amount come out to apologise?

Should be any time soon.  Just after Pattaya freezes over.

As I said in the other post, I dropped two folded banknotes of 1000 bahts to see what happens, and they fell in one block, not separate and I told that maybe the woman told the truth

thaivisa members, as usual, are prompt to speak too fast  without knowing 

3 hours ago, poohy said:

So its over, good for them both

Now then....

About 7 years ago i got on bus in Takua Pa along with Mrs P and found a roil of 5000 baht on our seat

Sorry to say we just pocketed it as no came to claim it on the journey

Not theft just good fortune i feel (although of course bad for them)

I remember Mrs P attitude was if we gave the driver he would just pocket it

Your suggestions to the  netiquette  for such an occurrence

If I was poor and hungry with few prospects or perhaps a teenager, I might consider it good fortune.

But in reality, I would have called the bus company and told them that if anyone had lost something on that route, that they could call me.

I, of course, would not tell them what was lost. Only the person who dropped it would know that.

3 hours ago, usviphotography said:

Was a wrong thing to do even if he didn't know it clearly belonged to the woman right next to him. I saw a dirty 200,000 dong bill on the side of the road yesterday and just kept walking. Very poor form to pick up money that is no yours and is dangerous and stupid thing to do in a foreign country. 

This is debatable. 

I found a note in Ha Noi and handed it over to someone rummaging through the bins.

On the one hand, leaving it there leaves open the possibility of the person who dropped it retracing his/her steps and finding it. On the other, since there is likely only a small possibility of that happening, the next best thing is that it is passed on to the needy.

So I don't agree with your "dangerous and stupid" and "poor form" hyperbole. I'd even go so far as to state that it is just nonsense.

But we can have differing opinions.

Actually I want to ask a serious question, how do we know he is British ? We only have the lady,s word to go on, he may have spoken English but could be from a multitude of different countries, the police were not involved so no sighting of his passport or drivers licence, I mean he could easily come from the USA, NZ, SA, AUS or God forbid even the Isle of Wight...

...or from Italy or France with a perfect British accent…… NOT ????

6 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The Thai girl came out of this very well I thought, very compassionate.

Not very, more like extra compassionate for not demanding a wai.  I nearly got it right on Tuesday:

"I suspect she will settle for the money being returned and a reasonably convincing wai, which the police may go along with.

An excellent opportunity for a publicised display of her "compassion and forgiveness" and, of course, some first class "merit" to be earned for it."

First class merit......with honours!

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Actually I want to ask a serious question, how do we know he is British ? We only have the lady,s word to go on, he may have spoken English but could be from a multitude of different countries, the police were not involved so no sighting of his passport or drivers licence, I mean he could easily come from the USA, NZ, SA, AUS or God forbid even the Isle of Wight......................

At least he is not Norwegian, as someone claimed in the other thread, we are richer than you guys and he doesn't look like a viking.

35eafbf3110e58c1de95a3d615a0e88ff7bcc7ff

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am glad he had the decency to return the money, but feel he only did so from the shame produced by social media. Had it not been so well publicised, I suspect he would not have done so. We all make mistakes. The woman is satisfied, the cops seem to be letting it go. All that remains is for the TV punters to shred him a little more I guess.

I have nothing but praise for the Thai lady who has been very fair minded about the whole thing and more than gracious. I wish there were more like her. Her boyfriend seems to have picked a good one.

Don't  worry someone  will be along with a  private prosecution shortly.????

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Actually I want to ask a serious question, how do we know he is British ? We only have the lady,s word to go on, he may have spoken English but could be from a multitude of different countries, the police were not involved so no sighting of his passport or drivers licence, I mean he could easily come from the USA, NZ, SA, AUS or God forbid even the Isle of Wight......................

the character is symptomatic for brits

I apologize here to Khun Jeab and perhaps TV for being overly cynical when the 20 baht became 1000 baht, then 2000 baht, which seemed to flutter down to the ground in an unlikely way. 

Not the first time I have been overly or wrongly cynical. 

We have the "Exclusive" story today...the  3rd. day in a row about a guy stealing 2,000 Bt. in a shop?

Will somebody please..  "get a grip"... for God's sake...and move on to something really news worthy?

Don't forget there's also 15 years in the Bangkok Hilton for treading on the King's face.  I was severely chastised once for trying to stop a coin I dropped from rolling, using my foot.  It might be a gut reaction for us farangs, but NOT in Thailand!

18 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

I had a strong feeling he was a brit as he didnt have socks on with his flip flops .

He wasn't wearing flip flops.

Everyone knows socks prevent you wearing them!

9 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Oh well, after my post on the other thread hoping he wasn't gonna be a Brit I suppose I'll have to suck up (buttercup) all the anti Brit posts for the next few months, but hey that's chuff all new on here, far too many people wanna knock us Brits, I think it's jealousy, but hey, I'm a proud Brit so have your fun people I really don't give a toss. ????

Thailand should impose a Brexit now ! All Brits out now...

9 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I predict 30 plus pages of Brit bashing now, par for the course on here, but you cannot tar everyone with the same brush. (From a proud Brit !).

But you guys can -- you tar every Thai with the same brush, and you do it gleefully, maliciously and every bloody day of the week on Thai Visa! So take your smug hypocrisy with you and go home

Archived