EXCLUSIVE: Farang checkout thief who stole 2,000 baht from Thai shopper returns the money - He's British

Jonathan Fairfield

Meanwhile, back in London, police hold a press conference to praise a London taxi driver who found 2,000 quid in the back seat of his vehicle and returned it to his Thai passenger, Jeab Wongamat. Ms Jeab, a gems dealer, thanked the driver, Majid Khan, for his very British act. Photos were taken of Ms Jeab and Mr Khan surrounded by the London police commissioner and 25 officers.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, meand said:

I am being dead, 100% serious when I say making a mistake and fully facing up to it may be more admirable than never making the mistake (which we all make). 

This was a very deliberate act, and he is old enough to know what he was doing. So I don't buy the mistake excuse. It is possible, however that he has other issues, dementia for example, and that is excusable. 

(But there is no excuse for being British. ????????)

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am glad he had the decency to return the money, but feel he only did so from the shame produced by social media. Had it not been so well publicised, I suspect he would not have done so. We all make mistakes. The woman is satisfied, the cops seem to be letting it go. All that remains is for the TV punters to shred him a little more I guess.

I have nothing but praise for the Thai lady who has been very fair minded about the whole thing and more than gracious. I wish there were more like her. Her boyfriend seems to have picked a good one.

9 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Poor old Brit, went to Soi 6 the night before, couldn't get it up, and thought he'd get his money back at 7/11. Sooo typical, remember Maggie?

And now we have Brexit.

It was not a mistake!! He was purposefully acting in a way to avoid detection to take advantage of a situation for personal gain with no regard for his victim.

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am glad he had the decency to return the money, but feel he only did so from the shame produced by social media. Had it not been so well publicised, I suspect he would not have done so. We all make mistakes. The woman is satisfied, the cops seem to be letting it go. All that remains is for the TV punters to shred him a little more I guess.

I have nothing but praise for the Thai lady who has been very fair minded about the whole thing and more than gracious. I wish there were more like her. Her boyfriend seems to have picked a good one.

I agree, he'd've gotten away scot free if he hadn't been caught red handed by the cctv. I'd be happy to see him sentenced to a free kick up his fat arse by that lovely lady.

He probably took a lot of shit from the guys whe seen him at the bar. And was shamed into giving it back, nothing a bout his sorrow and shame.

the police should have give him a good fine 5000 teach him a lesson.

8 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Actually I want to ask a serious question, how do we know he is British ? We only have the lady,s word to go on, he may have spoken English but could be from a multitude of different countries, the police were not involved so no sighting of his passport or drivers licence, I mean he could easily come from the USA, NZ, SA, AUS or God forbid even the Isle of Wight......................

Just to be sure Thaivisa asked the FBI to do a cutting edge video enhancement of the shopping in his bag at the checkout. Marmite, Lea and Perrins, wet wipes........and out of date full cream milk on special. 

We rest our case. 

Rooster

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I apologize here to Khun Jeab and perhaps TV for being overly cynical when the 20 baht became 1000 baht, then 2000 baht, which seemed to flutter down to the ground in an unlikely way. 

Not the first time I have been overly or wrongly cynical. 

I need to apologize, too!

However, look what kind of comments I found in Facebook:

He returned 2000 baht? But picked up only one bill!!! 

Now it's her turn to give him back 1000 baht ! 

Or better, give him back 1980 Baht

10 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I predict 30 plus pages of Brit bashing now, par for the course on here, but you cannot tar everyone with the same brush. (From a proud Brit !).

Just to give you guys a bit of bashing at least, there generally is an issue with theft in the UK! I'm not only talking about crime rates in general, but the kind of attitude for opportunity theft as in "finder's keepers!". I had wheels nicked off my bicycle when I lived in Canterbury and a sweaty Diesel t-shirt stolen after I left it hanging off my locker door at an upper scale gym. Also had someone try and nick my iPod that I left charging off the wall at the gym (while keeping eyes on it). Never experienced anything like this in other 1st world countries I've lived in.. 

Before anyone gets offended, I'm not saying that all Brits are thieves but just that theft is very common in the UK. I actually like British people a lot (on average) - so polite compared to my home country folk and always a pleasure to chat with. 

46 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Just to be sure Thaivisa asked the FBI to do a cutting edge video enhancement of the shopping in his bag at the checkout. Marmite, Lea and Perrins, wet wipes........and out of date full cream milk on special. 

We rest our case. 

Rooster

mustn't have had enough for the 500g box of yorkshire tea. all starting to make sense now

To avoid police involvement, the woman should have insisted on being paid B2,000 in addition to the B2,000 that he took, so that the same pain was inflicted on him that he attempted to inflict on her -- seems only just and fair. 

If I was asked to guess the nationality of the thief, I would guess British, as would, I expect, 90% of the general expats living in Thailand, including the Brits. I seldom haggle over money with a Thai and would certainly never take money that a Thai had lost, because I always sense that they need it more than I do. Most Brits (at least those living in Thailand) seldom think that anyone needs/deserves anything more than They do. There are many truly wonderful Brits, but most are not interested in living in Thailand -- the other end certainly is. 

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I doubt it was decency. If he was in anyway decent he wouldn't have stolen the money. I suspect he only motive was to avoid Police action now he was identified.

10 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

My wife had a souvenir shop in Patong Phuket many years ago. If she caught a tea-leaf and she's no slouch then she and the adjoining shop keepers had an alert system. When and if caught they had to pay 10 times the price or the cops would be called. They always paid up. Said Italians were by far the worse. 

so the regular farang price then and no bartering?

Oh well, after my post on the other thread hoping he wasn't gonna be a Brit I suppose I'll have to suck up (buttercup) all the anti Brit posts for the next few months, but hey that's chuff all new on here, far too many people wanna knock us Brits, I think it's jealousy, but hey, I'm a proud Brit so have your fun people I really don't give a toss. [emoji41]

What is there to be jealous of?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He put a price on his reputation....2000 baht. Hang your head in shame. If I saw someone drop money I would immediately tell them and smile and no doubt they would smile back. A positive feel good situation and good karma

10 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Oh well, after my post on the other thread hoping he wasn't gonna be a Brit I suppose I'll have to suck up (buttercup) all the anti Brit posts for the next few months, but hey that's chuff all new on here, far too many people wanna knock us Brits, I think it's jealousy, but hey, I'm a proud Brit so have your fun people I really don't give a toss. ????

what's with all this pride or shame thing here, your country of birth is a coincidence, what anybody does from that country, good or bad, doesn't reflect on you, you stand by yourself for your own actions.

11 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I predict 30 plus pages of Brit bashing now, etc.

???? Heck, I thought he was from Vermont, California, Oregon or Washington State. Naaaa. You nailed it, I knew he was a Brit, not. But, my Mom always told me the guilty party is always the first to bark... ????????

Us fat boys gotta stick together. He dresses like a Yank (maybe New York)

24 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

To avoid police involvement, the woman should have insisted on being paid B2,000 in addition to the B2,000 that he took, so that the same pain was inflicted on him that he attempted to inflict on her -- seems only just and fair. 

If I was asked to guess the nationality of the thief, I would guess British, as would, I expect, 90% of the general expats living in Thailand, including the Brits. I seldom haggle over money with a Thai and would certainly never take money that a Thai had lost, because I always sense that they need it more than I do. Most Brits (at least those living in Thailand) seldom think that anyone needs/deserves anything more than They do. There are many truly wonderful Brits, but most are not interested in living in Thailand -- the other end certainly is. 

There are British and then there are others British....Kosher certified.

Is it safe to say that the video prompted him to return the money? Somehow, without the video my impression is that he would not have done so. He did so out of embarrassment and the scrutiny of the posted video. I find it hard to believe that suddenly, he had a change of heart without the exposure.

BTW- does anyone know of the nationality of the person in question? Just curious.

Sorry- so he he is British- yet another stain on the UK because of this obviously greedy person. He had the opportunity to alert the Thai woman ahead of him that she dropped her money. His excuse(s) are not only too late, but insincere to say the least. And to the person in question...if you are that "strapped" that you have to resort to obvious thieving, then go back to your home country.

4 minutes ago, TMNH said:

BTW- does anyone know of the nationality of the person in question? Just c

Uhhh no... I’ve heard reading is learning.... clue the topic. 

It’s barely 09:30 and I’m already busting balls...

enjoy the day

Always good and bad everywhere, but when video like this emerges, then the "good" should tell this person to go elsewhere. Videos have depicted all nationalities essentially stealing from another. No ethnicity in particular- simply how you were raised with morals or lack thereof. Those who return lost money are within the group who were raised correctly. As far as the old man in the video, please go back to the UK- your presence in a foreign country is not welcomed. And then "possibly"- before your last days, you can figure out right and wrong. Until then, I will pray that your obvious lack of decency is reconciled before your last breath.

9 minutes ago, TMNH said:

Always good and bad everywhere, but when video like this emerges, then the "good" should tell this person to go elsewhere. Videos have depicted all nationalities essentially stealing from another. No ethnicity in particular- simply how you were raised with morals or lack thereof. Those who return lost money are within the group who were raised correctly. As far as the old man in the video, please go back to the UK- your presence in a foreign country is not welcomed. And then "possibly"- before your last days, you can figure out right and wrong. Until then, I will pray that your obvious lack of decency is reconciled before your last breath.

Let the punishment fit the crime, yes, what he did was a despicable act, but I think that all this social media exposure it has attracted is more than enough punishment. I think if he ever sees someone drop any money again he will return it without any hesitation, whilst waving at the cctv.

Archived