Donating body to a medical institute.

Lungstib

Being a Brit I am aware that normally when a person dies the British Embassy has to give permission to release a body. I recently discussed with my Thai son the desire for my body to be left to medical science here in Thailand and its something he has already done simply by a visit to the government hospital in Chiang Mai. Is it that simple for a foreigner or does the embassy need to get involved. Surely someone on here has done this already. Grateful for any advice.

The Embassy's role is simply to ensure that Next of Kin have been notified. Once they have identified next of kin -- an easy matter in your case since you have a Thai son- they will OK the release of the body and what is done with it is strictly up to the Next of Kin

I went to the big hospital in Khonkaen last year to fill in the required paperwork and was told that sadly now no non Thai can donate their body to medical research.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That is a policy specific to that one hospital, not a law . Most teaching hospitals will let foreigners donate. But they sometimes will accept only within a certain georaphical radius.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sheryl..the hospital official told my wife and myself it was the rtp who put a stop to it.
Couple of years ago..an american expat passed away and he had organised that his body went to medical research.
Unfortunately his family in america kicked up merry hell....the american embassy got involved etc etc.
After that the rtp made a ruling that no expats body can be donated to medical research.
That is what we were told by the official at the hospital.
My wife also asked a consultant that her family know and got the same answer.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There is no such rule or law and many hospitals still accept foreign donations.

The RTP like police forces everywhere does not make laws, just enforce them.

But you are right that it was an incident such as you describe at that specific hospital which led them to change their policy

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived