Active dengue watch in provinces

rooster59

Active dengue watch in provinces

Tanakorn Sangiam

62adfa39d1f4c4e8b868302cf4969376_small.jpg

BANGKOK, 14 June 2019(NNT) - The spread of dengue fever outside Bangkok is still of concern, as 140 dengue patients have so far been found within Nakhon Si Thammarat City Municipality; meanwhile Nan City Municipality has conducted preventive operations at local schools destroying mosquito breeding spots after a recent fatality from the disease.

Nan City Municipality Mayor Surapon Thiensut has led officials to visit schools within the city limits to spray anti-mosquito vapor in classrooms, closets, toilets, and areas prone to mosquitoes inside schools to eliminate all mosquitoes. The municipality has deployed its vehicles announcing preventive methods against dengue fever at local communities raising public awareness and seeking cooperation.

One fatality from dengue fever has been reported in Nan province, while the province has the second highest number of dengue patients in the eight upper northeastern provinces at 95 patients, a number which is expected to increase. Local authorities have been urging villagers to guard against being bitten by mosquitoes, and to be especially protective of young children. They have also implemented stricter disease prevention measures.

In Nakhon Si Thammrat, 140 dengue patients have so far been reported without any fatalities. Nakhon Si Thammrat City Municipality has sprayed mosquito repellent in area within 100-meter radius of each patient’s house, and distributed zeolite powder to be put in water containers to eliminate mosquito larvae. The municipality has approved n 800,000 baht urgent budget from health security funds in 10 communities for the purchase of disease control equipment. Additional budget will be approved for 53 more communities next week.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-06-15

Thailand’s dengue fever cases “double the five year average” – epidemic declared

By The Thaiger

Screen-Shot-2019-06-15-at-09.51.23.jpg

“The situation is also the same in Thailand’s neighbour countries.”

The Department of Disease Control on Friday has declared a dengue fever epidemic this year. From Jan 1 to June 11 this year there has already been 28,785 reported cases and 43 deaths from the mosquito-borne virus.

The deputy director-general of the department says the number of patients was double the five year average of Dengue cases. He says the situation is also the same in Thailand’s neighbour countries and attributes the current epidemic to “a failure to control mosquito larvae”.

Yesterday the Public Health Ministry signed an agreement with seven state agencies to control mosquito larvae during the annual wet-season – when cases peak each year. The Defence Ministry, Tourism and Sports Ministry, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Interior Ministry, Culture Ministry, Education Ministry and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration are going to co-ordinate improvements in the control of mosquito larvae.

Meanwhile the Public Health department says they will focus on communities, temples, schools and hospitals which they claim are a major source of mosquito larvae.

YOU play an important role in avoiding Dengue Fever, or Chikungunya. A report about the latest outbreak of Chikungunya cases in southern Thailand HERE.

And some important tips for you to avoid Dengue HERE.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/environment/thailands-dengue-fever-cases-double-the-five-year-average-epidemic-declared

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-06-15

Meanwhile the Public Health department says they will focus on communities, temples, schools and hospitals which they claim are a major source of mosquito larvae.

Hospitals are a major source of mosquito larvae? 

Yet the Huai Wangnong reservoir is now a mosquito breeding ground because those in control have not cleared the weed....????......

They have had a couple of years to clear it but all that happens is a bit of a party to look at it then a couple of hours with a machine to put a dent in it...If they were serious about "health matters" it would now be cleaned out..

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Libai said:

I live in Pattaya and was infected by Dengue Fever at the end of March and am still feeling the effects.

For sure you know that there are at least 4 different dengue strains. If we get a different one next time then there might be a bigger problem. I should not live in in a Dengue country anymore...somehow not very clever. I know. 

22 minutes ago, oobar said:

The second time I got dengue, it was hemorrhagic.  I was so ill I would have gladly accepted death to escape it.

what happened ?  were you in bed ?  did you take some medicine and were you feeling sick ? what town were you in .. ?  thanks.   just curious about the dengue fever.

Annual monsoon season now well under way, at least here in south Surin.

So, um, what do we need to think about announcing this year? Um, maybe we could say something about dengue fever and measures against mosquitoes? Do you think? Howsabout a committee? 

8 hours ago, Libai said:

I live in Pattaya and was infected by Dengue Fever at the end of March and am still feeling the effects.

i got hit in February....am pretty much recovered but still cannot work out to my 100% potential as a few months ago.

• Like 1

there is a vaccine, it's expensive and available for 9-45 years old. Also for those, who lived in tropical countries for over 9 years and for those, who already had confirmed case. I got this vaccination in september 2017, after catching illness in july. After 2 doses I got sick again in november 2018, but it was very mild. The last dose I had in february this year. I hope I am protected after those 2 illnesses and from vaccinations. 

As a first ever vaccination it's not perfect, there would other ones coming within years. 

I cost me 9.3k in a private hospital. At mahidol tropical medicine department it's 6k, but might be difficult to qualify (they would need confirmed medical history, check ups).

I did not test for dengue, as laboratory costs some 2k, almost as much as a vaccination. But my 2 neighbours were hospitalised at that time.

I am happy with my decision to vaccinate, even it failed to fully protect me. 

As to Philippines, mentioned in a link above, there was free vaccination program for 750k kids and for some 15k policeman. The new, authoritarian government, went after the opposition, who introduced this program. The only prosecution was against the producer for wrong size letters on the packaging, they were fined $1000. But the program was stopped. The new authorities don't want spend money on health, would rather buy armaments.

PS This vaccine is available now in 20 countries, including EU from the last year, and the USA from this year

Edited by londonthai
  • Like 2