Vehicle registration only Monday and Friday?

Since this seems so unlikely I’m guessing he was trying to communicate the concept of ‘Monday through Friday’ and didn’t understand my attemps to make sure of what he meant. Going Friday as my most convenient day anyway, so not worried!

On 6/18/2019 at 10:43 AM, islandguy said:

...the transport office only does yearly registration on Mondays and Fridays.

"yearly registration", does that mean paying the annual tax, and if vehicle is 6+ years old including the security-check-letter..?

14 hours ago, islandguy said:

Yes. But i haven’t been asked for the ‘security check letter’ recently. You mean the one where they check that the engine serial numbers match the frame serial numbers?

So it was before, heard that its a bit more extended now. My vehicle is too new to need such a letter, before later this year.

Normally I just hand it all over to the insurance agent, and collect the book and tax sticker about a week later, my agent do the tax-stuff free as service...????

My car is 15 years old. Today (Thursday) we stopped at one of the MOT testing stations just before the Car tax office, they checked the car over (rolling road, lighting check, exhaust emission etc.) and issued the certificate.

Not sure whether or not they checked the VIN against the log book or not.

We also bought the mandatory insurance (645 baht I think) there as well to save time queuing twice in the tax office.

Once there, handed over the blue car book, MOT certificate, insurance certificate and 1446 baht for the new licence.

Took less than 5 minutes.

2 hours ago, Tmoney said:

My car is 15 years old. Today (Thursday) we stopped at one of the MOT testing stations just before the Car tax office, they checked the car over (rolling road, lighting check, exhaust emission etc.) and issued the certificate.

Not sure whether or not they checked the VIN against the log book or not.

We also bought the mandatory insurance (645 baht I think) there as well to save time queuing twice in the tax office.

Once there, handed over the blue car book, MOT certificate, insurance certificate and 1446 baht for the new licence.

Took less than 5 minutes.

Yes, that what I heard they are doing now, not just copying the number on a strip of paint-tape...????

Thanks for update. You are right, the testing station did do the VIN check as part of their inspection. I was focused on the tracing of the number and that being included in documents. That is what changed, still checking visually.

5 hours ago, islandguy said:

Thanks for update. You are right, the testing station did do the VIN check as part of their inspection. I was focused on the tracing of the number and that being included in documents. That is what changed, still checking visually.

Interestingly they were more concerned the letters/numbers on my front reg. plate weren't black enough so filled them in with a 'permanent' black marker so the photo they take for their records read the number correctly.

Also, they found one of the full beam headlights wasn't working but they passed the car anyway, said no problem and asking me to get it fixed later.  ???? TIT.

Archived