Locals Guide to Bangkok

Jingthing

From the Washington Post.

Bangkok is a city of contrasts. It can be brutal and easy, rich and poor, cutthroat and philanthropic all at the same time. It’s the center of industry, finance, government, retail and education for all of Thailand, so everything comes together in fascinating, and often creative, ways.

To the locals reading this, do you like these tips?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/thailand/bangkok-local-guide/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I thought it was an excellent article. I would like to try a few of the restaurants, namely Barcelona Gaudi on Sukhumvit Soi 23. I looked up the author Jinda Wedel, since I recognized the name. Her dad Paul Wedel was a reporter for UPI. So thanks, this was very interesting! As to your question if I like the tips in the article, yes I do. 

• Like 1

Hit and (mostly) miss. She's tried to avoid the obvious clichés and present an original and cutting edge guide, but the results are uneven and impractical. Given this was published in the Washington Post it's quite likely some visitors might tear it out and use it as a tourist itinerary - they'd do a lot better checking out the more obvious places that are commonly recommended (for good reason) than trekking out to Latprao and eating in Foodland or After You. If the article is aimed at long stay expats, sure a trip to Bang Krachao is worth trying after you've been here awhile and fancy a break from the city... Scala cinema is also an institution that anyone who lives here should visit. But otherwise it would have been much better if she'd clarified in her article who she was aiming to appeal to. 

• Thanks 1

Looked more like a list of places to avoid.  For once the Compost did a piece on LOS without paying proper respect to us older guys providing tuition assistance to young ladies, what a surprise.  It is a dark day for Bangkok dining, when the - - - media starts tracking it.