UK PM candidate Johnson increases support in third round of leadership contest

webfact

UK PM candidate Johnson increases support in third round of leadership contest

By Elizabeth Piper and Andrew MacAskill

2019-06-19T173826Z_1_LYNXNPEF5I1WQ_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-LEADER-JOHNSON.JPG

PM hopeful Boris Johnson leaves his home in London, Britain, June 19, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

LONDON (Reuters) - Brexit campaigner Boris Johnson cemented his position as the favourite to be Britain’s next prime minister on Wednesday after he increased his support in the third round of the Conservative Party leadership contest.

Johnson got 143 out of 313 votes, with Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt in second place with 54 votes and environment minister Michael Gove third with 51. Interior minister Sajid Javid was fourth with 38 votes.

International development minister Rory Stewart managed only 27 votes and was eliminated from the contest. For a graphic of the result click 2Insb9A

The remaining candidates will face two further votes on Thursday to whittle down the contest to the final two. Then Conservative Party grassroots members will decide who will become leader, and Britain's next prime minister, by the end of July.

"We're gaining momentum," said a source in the team running Johnson's campaign.

His lead makes Johnson, whose career has been marked by gaffes and scandals, the all but inevitable choice to replace Prime Minister Theresa May and take on Britain's so far ill-fated negotiations to leave the European Union.

The former foreign minister and London mayor has vowed to take Britain out of the EU by Oct. 31 no matter what, raising the prospect of a disorderly, or so-called no-deal Brexit, which businesses say could harm the economy and investment.

Almost three years since Britain voted to leave the EU, the country, parliament and both main parties are deeply divided over how, when and even whether Brexit should happen.

With a simple message similar to the soundbites he used in the 2016 referendum campaign, Johnson, who unlike other politicians is better known by his first name, has managed to persuade much of his party that only he can rescue it from electoral disaster by delivering Brexit.

He won the support of one of earlier candidates, pro-Brexit lawmaker and former Brexit minister Dominic Raab, who said Johnson would take Britain out of the EU by the end of October.

"The only candidate who will now do this is Boris Johnson and so I'll be supporting him to become our next Prime Minister," he told the Evening Standard newspaper.

(Reporting By Elizabeth Piper and Andrew MacAskill; editing by Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-20

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The remaining candidates must be happy that the only guy who told the truth is eliminated.

Not they can talk again about all those unicorns which will be released soon and nobody will bring them back down to earth.

Rory-Stewart-MP_2846471k.jpg

"The remaining candidates must be happy that the only guy who told the truth is eliminated."

Are you joking? I didn't see the smiley. This guy is an ex foreign service diplomat, he wouldn't know the truth if he tripped over it. It's part of the foreign office training to speak with forked tongue so that they don't offend anyone. The Tories dodged a bullet there.

9 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

With that lying clown the probable new PM of the UK I guess it should come as no surprise seeing 36 bht to the Pound at Suvarnabhumi this week.

Which lying clown do you prefer? I don't care which idiot is in charge as long as he takes us out of the EU. Blow the pound, democracy is at stake here. The exchange rate's turning me into a pauper, but I stand by my principles.

Which lying clown do you prefer? I don't care which idiot is in charge as long as he takes us out of the EU. Blow the pound, democracy is at stake here. The exchange rate's turning me into a pauper, but I stand by my principles.

Well said! I voted against Brexit, but believe in the democratic process. The people voted, and that vote should be honoured, the sooner the better. We have burned our bridges with the EU so stop dithering and get on with it!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I wonder how many on this thread saw the BBC shambolic presentation.  I did, and was appalled at the presenter, one of the worst hags I have ever seen on tv, who demonstrated the total anti-Brexit bias of the BBC.  She never allowed Johnson to speak more than ten seconds (5?) before literally shouting him down.

Ironically, her arrogant ignorant shouting down of Johnson actually helped him through the hour, since he did not get to finish any of his answers and thus could not be judged as to whether he was talking ba££ocks or not!!!

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

A brexiteer as PM leading the way out of the EU. Finally. I suppose the remainers will be quibbling about how bad he is, how unfit he is. Just remember you had a remainer PM for 3 years and look what she did.

Boris Johnson backs down on tax cuts for the rich and no-deal Brexit during Tory leadership debate

He stuck to his position that the UK must leave the European Union by 31 October, warning of “catastrophic” consequences for voter trust in politics if the Conservative government “kicked the can down the road” again.

But he repeatedly stressed that he did not want a “disorderly” no-deal Brexit, and told one member of the public who voiced fears for her family’s jobs: “We are going to make sure that we come out on terms that protect the UK and protect the EU as well.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-leadership-debate-boris-johnson-no-deal-brexit-rory-stewart-tax-cut-bbc-a8964566.html

9 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Boris Johnson backs down on tax cuts for the rich and no-deal Brexit during Tory leadership debate

He stuck to his position that the UK must leave the European Union by 31 October, warning of “catastrophic” consequences for voter trust in politics if the Conservative government “kicked the can down the road” again.

But he repeatedly stressed that he did not want a “disorderly” no-deal Brexit, and told one member of the public who voiced fears for her family’s jobs: “We are going to make sure that we come out on terms that protect the UK and protect the EU as well.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-leadership-debate-boris-johnson-no-deal-brexit-rory-stewart-tax-cut-bbc-a8964566.html

Yes still a brexiteer taking us out of Europe. It must hurt the remainers knowing that the UK will finally leave and enact upon the will of the democratic referendum result.

BTW the Independent is possibly the most bias piece of trash on the newspaper stands.

Just now, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes still a brexiteer taking us out of Europe. It must hurt the remainers knowing that the UK will finally leave and enact upon the will of the democratic referendum result.

BTW the Independent is possibly the most bias piece of trash on the newspaper stands.

and your The Sun or Daily Mail isn't?

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

and your The Sun or Daily Mail isn't?

Actually a Times man but I do say, they have become more bias lately to the EU. A new editor.

So read my posts and you will see I post quite a few links to the Times so what you are insinuating, seems to be what exactly.

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

But a Brexiteer who has just promised to get a deal before the exit. After he had been saying exactly that deal or no deal, Brexit would happen. 

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

A brexiteer as PM leading the way out of the EU. Finally. I suppose the remainers will be quibbling about how bad he is, how unfit he is. Just remember you had a remainer PM for 3 years and look what she did.

A man who saw opportunity for himself in backing Brexit gets to be accountable for Brexit.

But of course may decide being accountable for Brexit is not in his own best interests.

What’s not to like?!

Well done Corbyn more votes for the Brexit party of even a brexit Conservative PM at the next GE.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/labour-switches-to-backing-second-referendum-but-not-remain-jctsvbhn7

The shift in position came despite a letter written by 26 Labour MPs warning that a commitment to a second referendum “would be toxic to our bedrock Labour voters”.

“Brexit must happen. The UK must leave, and do so without further undue delay,” they warned.

The change in policy, revealed in The Times, came after a meeting of the shadow cabinet at which Mr Corbyn was put under pressure by his deputy Tom Watson to commit the party to backing Remain.

However, in the end Mr Corbyn backed away from the proposal, contained in a report written by his head of policy, Andrew Fisher. The leader said he would be consulting trade unions and party members next week and would then make an official announcement of the party’s position.

Rory Stewart was the only one who recognized the the Boris had no clothes on. HOW is he going to achieve the deal? by 31st Oct?  anyone care to answer as none of the candidates can.

If sleepy Corbyn gets his act together we might have a second ref yet.

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

You’ll back any liar to get what you want and yet claim to have principles.

Sorry to hear you are struggling, it can’t be easy.

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Rory Stewart was the only one who recognized the the Boris had no clothes on. HOW is he going to achieve the deal? by 31st Oct?  anyone care to answer as none of the candidates can.

If sleepy Corbyn gets his act together we might have a second ref yet.

So you want another referendum to overturn the first one.  Very democratic. Best of 5.

54 minutes ago, blazes said:

I wonder how many on this thread saw the BBC shambolic presentation.  I did, and was appalled at the presenter, one of the worst hags I have ever seen on tv, who demonstrated the total anti-Brexit bias of the BBC.  She never allowed Johnson to speak more than ten seconds (5?) before literally shouting him down.

Ironically, her arrogant ignorant shouting down of Johnson actually helped him through the hour, since he did not get to finish any of his answers and thus could not be judged as to whether he was talking ba££ocks or not!!!

I saw it.

Don’t agree with your summary.

No surprises there though.

11 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

But a Brexiteer who has just promised to get a deal before the exit. After he had been saying exactly that deal or no deal, Brexit would happen. 

Is that your best defense or attack which ever way you put it. just get use to it Johnson will be PM and we will be coming out of the EU. Embrace it and start supporting it. Or complain and whinge like so many remainers have done, for the last 3 years.

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You’ll back any liar to get what you want and yet claim to have principles.

Sorry to hear you are struggling, it can’t be easy.

It is not what he wants, it is what our country voted for. Democracy seems to confuse remainers.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

It is not what he wants, it is what our country voted for. Democracy seems to confuse remainers.

What is it that the country wants? Brexit with no deal or Brexit with a deal? Boris apparently won't settle for anything but the latter.

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

I'm almost at a loss to understand why any Tory MP would vote to choose Boris as the new PM except for the obvious self-interest rationale that he could be the only 'populist' person who would save their jobs.

And I think your "obvious" self-interest observation is the only life line  that the Tories can cling to.

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

What is it that the country wants? Brexit with no deal or Brexit with a deal? Boris apparently won't settle for anything but the latter.

I am guessing your post is rhetorical, even though you have put a question mark after it.

Boris garnered almost half of the votes. He's looking like the eventual winner barring any giant mishaps (which he is prone to) or nasty revelations about skeletons in the cupboard (an unknown-unknown). Boris will sell the country to the Yanks...the other half of his dual citizenship.

Hunt single handedly almost wrecked the NHS, and will finish the job if he becomes PM. 

Personally I would prefer Gove. He looks a bit queer but he is very intelligent and I think 'gets it'. All of the candidates except Gove are incompetent. I don't know that he is incompetent, but he hasn't made major screw-ups like Boris and Hunt.

Archived