UK PM candidate Johnson increases support in third round of leadership contest

webfact

14 minutes ago, vogie said:

It is not what he wants, it is what our country voted for. Democracy seems to confuse remainers.

The problem is what the people voted for is something that doesn't exist. 

The people that are promising to deliver it are therefore either fools, charlatans or liers - or in boris's case  possibly all three.

Everybody the brexter's put their trust in will betray them - either through incompetence or deceit.  

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jesimps said:

"The remaining candidates must be happy that the only guy who told the truth is eliminated."

Are you joking? I didn't see the smiley. This guy is an ex foreign service diplomat, he wouldn't know the truth if he tripped over it. It's part of the foreign office training to speak with forked tongue so that they don't offend anyone. The Tories dodged a bullet there.

Did you by any change listed to anything all those candidates said?

Like they will somehow force the EU to give them a better deal - probably because they shout louder.

Or they have this wonderful solution for the Irish border - but they keep it secret.

Rory Steward accepts reality. That's a very good start. And it's amazing that the only guy who accepts reality is not in the race anymore.

Let's wait a couple of months what Boris will do for the UK and how he will somehow make everything better. ???? 

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If you think people voted to be poorer you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

People voted to leave the EU, nothing more, nothing less. Remainers are tagging it with their 'yeah but, no but, he said, she said, it wasn't written on the ballot paper,' stop making things up chomper, we just voted to leave!

1 minute ago, vogie said:

People voted to leave the EU, nothing more, nothing less. Remainers are tagging with their 'yeah but, no but, he said, she said, it wasn't written on the ballot paper,' stop making things up chomper, we just voted to leave!

Because your understanding of Brexit was the universal one? If that's the case, why did its proponents insist that there would be a deal made favorable to the UK?

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

It is not what he wants, it is what our country voted for. Democracy seems to confuse remainers.

As a point of correction, it's not 'our country' but the UK, which is composed of 4 countries of whom 2 voted unanimously to remain in the UK. 

Political Democracy is the belief that everyone in a country/union has the right to express their opinions, and that power should be held by people who are elected, or a system of government based on this belief.

In simple terms, the UK government is charged with enacting what's best for the whole populus, not just a minority. And in total numbers, leaver voters are in a minority. But Democracy seems to confuse leavers.

we just voted to leave

And after 3 years, did you learn anything from all the presented facts?

Or do you prefer to dream about how wonderful everything could be - if the world would finally do what the UK demands?

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Because your understanding of Brexit was the universal one? If that's the case, why did its proponents insist that there would be a deal made favorable to the UK?

Deflection as usual from you. I'd sooner go down the route of normal debating than your version, bye.

Just now, vogie said:

Deflection as usual from you. I'd sooner go down the route of normal debating than your version, bye.

When someone claims "deflection" on the part of another, but doesn't explain why it's deflection, then is usually just an excuse for a retreat.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And after 3 years, did you learn anything from all the presented facts?

Or do you prefer to dream about how wonderful everything could be - if the world would finally do what the UK demands?

The things we did learn is never let a remainer do a leavers job. If Boris wins I believe there will be more conviction if nothing else.

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

People voted to leave the EU, nothing more, nothing less. Remainers are tagging it with their 'yeah but, no but, he said, she said, it wasn't written on the ballot paper,' stop making things up chomper, we just voted to leave!

People, if given the chance, would probably vote to stop paying taxes.

This doesn't mean it's a good idea and could or should be implemented.

The things we did learn is never let a remainer do a leavers job. If Boris wins I believe there will be more conviction if nothing else.

Right from the start, the EU made it very clear what terms they would and wouldn't accept. For the obvious reason that to give Brexiters the terms they wanted would mean the dissolution of the EU. So I guess when you're up against that inconvenient fact, your only course is to claim betrayal.

1 minute ago, tebee said:

The only reason you keep going on about how bad it is to leave the EU is because it is not in your interest, embrace Boris and say goodbye to Corbyn, you know it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, tebee said:

But not paying taxes hasn't come to a vote. So irrelevant.

We were lied to to get in the EEC.

We have been lied to to keep us in the EU.

What you or other politicians think is irrelevant. The country had a democratic referendum. We know the result. Accept it.

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Boris? conviction? we are talking here about the man who wrote two speeches,  one supporting remain, one leave, then only later decided which one to use.

Boris will do whatever keeps Boris in the job longer

34 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I'm almost at a loss to understand why any Tory MP would vote to choose Boris as the new PM except for the obvious self-interest rationale that he could be the only 'populist' person who would save their jobs.

Maybe because he has a hairstyle like his orange friend ????

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

I'd vote for 'nothing less'. Boris faces an almost impossible task of pacifying a split Tory party and DUP, let alone enacting Brexit. IMO, as he has already done, is to be all things to all men, and persuade them to pass the WAG through parliament, so he can claim a success.

His persuasion line could be to Tories - would you rather be out of a job if a GE is called, because that's what we're heading for? And for the DUP, the EU have agreed to amend/clarify the political statement (which they have already agreed to do so) so that we can sort out the Irish backstop during the transistion stage. 

12 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

But not paying taxes hasn't come to a vote. So irrelevant.

We were lied to to get in the EEC.

We have been lied to to keep us in the EU.

What you or other politicians think is irrelevant. The country had a democratic referendum. We know the result. Accept it.

As a point of correction, it's the UK, not 'the country', in which two countries voted to remain in the EU.  And as democratic principle everyone has a right to be heard, and the government is charged with enacting what would benefit the whole populous.

In reality, the Tory government is intent of being politically motivated in being undemocratic by pandering to the leavers vote, instead of ditching Brexit forthwith in the best interests of the total populace.

But don't worry, a GE will sort them out.    

Which lying clown do you prefer? I don't care which idiot is in charge as long as he takes us out of the EU. Blow the pound, democracy is at stake here. The exchange rate's turning me into a pauper, but I stand by my principles.

Excellent comment. We are all suffering but nothing will stop us wanting to leave the appalling EU asap.

Which lying clown do you prefer? I don't care which idiot is in charge as long as he takes us out of the EU. Blow the pound, democracy is at stake here. The exchange rate's turning me into a pauper, but I stand by my principles.

And I stand by my democratic principles of being opposed to crashing out, plus seeing my family financially suffer from brexit, because they will be paying for it long after I'm dead.   

18 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Who multi millionaire Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson - also known as bojo the clown ? The man who doesn't know how many kids he's got ?

The man who said <deleted> business' ?

Called black people 'piccaninnies ? (though I doubt too many brexiteers will have a problem with that)

The man who claimed female genital mutilation isn't worthy of intervention ?

Or the man who directly contributed to Nazanine Zaghari-Ratcliffe lanquishing in an Iraqi jail, whom on realising his latest gaffe, then stated 'we will move heaven and earth to get her out' and ending in 'nothing to do with me' in the latest interviews ?

and I'm sure Mr Trump will shortly be reminded that Bojo tends to favour Iran's side over the US - that will be good for trade given he will already have pissed off the worlds largest economic area

That's your ambition for a UK prime minister ? 

I'm struggling to understand where the brexiteers get their 'not too bright' tag ????

The ONLY thing that is more important than delivering Brexit to the more fervent disciples of the cult of Brexit is to prevent Corbyn from entering No. 10. Everything else can burn. 

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

With that lying clown the probable new PM of the UK I guess it should come as no surprise seeing 36 bht to the Pound at Suvarnabhumi this week.

Change your changer.

2 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Well said! I voted against Brexit, but believe in the democratic process. The people voted, and that vote should be honoured, the sooner the better. We have burned our bridges with the EU so stop dithering and get on with it!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

IMO, the vote should be considered by a UK government who is charged with democratically overseeing the rights of everyone, not just a minority. 

Why do you consider that the government has not passed the WAG? Because they know they'll out of a job when brexit goes belly-up - which is what's going to happen anyway, at the next GE.

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

The ONLY thing that is more important than delivering Brexit to the more fervent disciples of the cult of Brexit is to prevent Corbyn from entering No. 10. Everything else can burn. 

Unfortunately, true. but there will be a backlash come the next GE, which could well decimate the Tory party. 

8 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

And I stand by my democratic principles of being opposed to crashing out, plus seeing my family financially suffer from brexit, because they will be paying for it long after I'm dead.   

Building democratic principles around suppositions is what you are doing, and not following what the country voted for.

24 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

As a point of correction, it's the UK, not 'the country', in which two countries voted to remain in the EU.  And as democratic principle everyone has a right to be heard, and the government is charged with enacting what would benefit the whole populous.

Semantics but if it makes you feel better.

26 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

In reality, the Tory government is intent of being politically motivated in being undemocratic by pandering to the leavers vote, instead of ditching Brexit forthwith in the best interests of the total populace.

There you go again with you know the best interests of the populace. You are sounding arrogant. That is what happens in a binary vote. Winners and losers.

28 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

But don't worry, a GE will sort them out.

Yes if there is a GE before we get out the EU the Brexit party will smash it.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes still a brexiteer taking us out of Europe. It must hurt the remainers knowing that the UK will finally leave and enact upon the will of the democratic referendum result.

BTW the Independent is possibly the most bias piece of trash on the newspaper stands.

To be honest, I trust Boris about as far as I can throw him and think there is a distinct possibility that he will 'do a May' once in power ☹️.

But at the moment he is the only contender 'promising' a genuine brexit once the latest extension ends.  If he gains power and fails to deliver on this promise (e.g. tries to pass a May surrender treaty) then, like May previously, his head will be on the 'block'.

Building democratic principles around suppositions is what you are doing, and not following what the country voted for.

Quite correct, that's my democratic right to oppose having a 'lemming' mentality. And by the way it's the UK not 'the country', two of whom voted to remain. 

2 hours ago, blazes said:

I wonder how many on this thread saw the BBC shambolic presentation.  I did, and was appalled at the presenter, one of the worst hags I have ever seen on tv, who demonstrated the total anti-Brexit bias of the BBC.  She never allowed Johnson to speak more than ten seconds (5?) before literally shouting him down.

Ironically, her arrogant ignorant shouting down of Johnson actually helped him through the hour, since he did not get to finish any of his answers and thus could not be judged as to whether he was talking ba££ocks or not!!!

To be honest, I think Boris was happy that he didn't get pressed to say more. Rory kept jumping in, wouldn't stop and that didn't do him much good now, did it? Another shambles posing as a debate, with the usual gamut of non-answers from the candidates to mainly fair questions. And yes, Maitlis is a biased hag!

Archived