Golden David Beckham statue draws tourists to Buddhist temple in Bangkok

webfact

Golden David Beckham statue draws tourists to Buddhist temple

db.jpg

BANGKOK (Reuters): Manchester United legend David Beckham has such a strong global appeal and ardent fanbase that a temple in Thailand has installed a gold-painted statue of the footballer in the altar, turning it into a surprising tourist attraction.

Pariwat temple, in Bangkok, engraved the Beckham statue two decades ago, when Manchester United made history by being the first English football club to win the treble of trophies.

The statue, built in a traditional garuda style holding up the altar, features Beckham's trademark floppy hairstyle of that era and his team jersey, and continues to attract visitors to this day.

Meanwhile, for Liverpool fans, the temple also features a host of other characters in pop culture, the likes of Wolverine, Superman and Pikachu adorn the exterior of the building. The temple said the superheroes were installed because they are considered good symbols who can help to protect Buddhism.

Rough cut (no reporter narration).

Sources: The Start Online | Reuters

A 'gold painted statue of David Beckham' .......

"You shall have no other gods before me"

He plays or played football, he wasn't a great philospher, leader of men(women) scientist or doctor.

Unbelievable.

Cue Victor Meldrew.

It only comes to re enforce that religion has becomes all about money making and enterprising in drawing the crowded in in any means available even using tacky images of bygone footballers for more revenues.. Sad really...

57 minutes ago, champers said:

I wonder if they have paid him for the right to use his image for commercial purposes. I see a lawsuit ahead.

On good Buddhist principles he would not expect recompense, and would gladly give his consent I am sure.

1 hour ago, Phuketshrew said:

I think they used to call him "golden balls" but those are the only thing that seems to be missing from the statue.

I think Victoria removed those long ago.

Po faced harridan that she is.

:laugh:

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

It only comes to re enforce that religion has becomes all about money making and enterprising in drawing the crowded in in any means available even using tacky images of bygone footballers for more revenues.. Sad really...

It has been about money making for a long time, look at the Middle Ages, and how rich the church was then

2 hours ago, faraday said:

A 'gold painted statue of David Beckham' .......

"You shall have no other gods before me"

He plays or played football, he wasn't a great philospher, leader of men(women) scientist or doctor.

Unbelievable.

Cue Victor Meldrew.

I bet David cant even spell the word Buddhist?

1 minute ago, vogie said:

I don't like it when people say that David Beckham is thick, nobody ever says that Stephen Hawking is rubbish at football.

Probably would have been very difficult for him though.

I agree about Beckham though and the smarts, he has made and kept a lot on money, yes he has advisors and managers, but overall he needs to be able to make decisions, and appears to have made some smart ones. 

Wasn't Beckham that guy who was so unintelligent his manager had to keep him away from the press most of his career.

He used to appear semi naked in black and white posters with the Spice girls or whoever.

The only reason Buddhists would have his image on a temple is to make money.

The curse of all religions.

4 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

I love it,myself.

The Thai religion is pretty eclectic and have only adopted Pope Constantine's epistle to Saint David of Beckham..the man who scored the miraculous goal against the Goths in 408 AD.

Later studies showed VAR would have disallowed the goal.

images (40).jpeg

That <deleted> was never up to his title as footballer, nothing special about him apart being an underdog <deleted>, surely I could play way better than him had they given me a chance but what do the thai know ?! Always following the flock of sheep without researching  and finding out the truth about things or <deleted> like the above mentioned ????????‍♂️

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Beckham Wolverine, Superman and Pikachu adorn the exterior of the building. The temple said the superheroes were installed because they are considered good symbols who can help to protect Buddhism.

I agree, that particular brand of Buddhism needs protecting

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

Beckham Wolverine, Superman and Pikachu adorn the exterior of the building. The temple said the superheroes were installed because they are considered good symbols who can help to protect Buddhism.

Buddhist-flavored Animism at its best!!!  That's The New-true-Buddhism for about 95+% of the Thai population.  The same folk who worship trees, ancient walls, dolls, dead ancestors, and who will pay 'Buddhist monks' to come to their home to chase the Nagas out of the back yard and back into the well (ask my wife) and give large sums of money to monks and temples in order to "Make Lucky" so that they can win the Lotto or come into even huger sums of money themselves.  Greed worship at its best in which all parties are willing participants!!!  In the name of Buddha...

Kammathana - meditation-based, Forest tradition Theravada Buddhism is the Buddhism of a shrinking minority, myself included.  It's sans animism, idol worship, and over-dependence on rites, rituals, and superstition.  Not many practice it as the Dhamma is in decline. 

Archived