How to get tourist visa to USA for a Thai national?

Anyone have personal experience with getting a US visa for the Thai mother of a US citizen.  I have lived here 3 years and want to take our baby back to the US to visit my relatives so they can meet her for the first time.  My girlfriend is young and has limited work experience having had our baby only a couple years after finishing Uni.  She doesn’t have assets but does have her family here.  I have been struggling to find what visa options she has To accompany our child.  Thanks all for any helpful replies

1 minute ago, Ajvat37 said:

Anyone have personal experience with getting a US visa for the Thai mother of a US citizen.  I have lived here 3 years and want to take our baby back to the US to visit my relatives so they can meet her for the first time.  My girlfriend is young and has limited work experience having had our baby only a couple years after finishing Uni.  She doesn’t have assets but does have her family here.  I have been struggling to find what visa options she has To accompany our child.  Thanks all for any helpful replies

Do you have firm ties to Thailand?  Being married that I suspect will be key.  Going to visit relatives with baby should be a good reason for travel if there is intent to return (not change status).

I am a UK citizen married (properly) to a Thai national.  We have a son with dual nationality. I have a nephew who is an attorney living in SF. I would love to visit them as a family but I really doubt that this would be possible. We have travelled to many countries together as a couple and latterly as a family,  The UK (twice), Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Laos. My wife has a house, car and shop. Of course I would get a written invitation from my nephew but even then I really can't forsee us being able to visit.  The US does seem to be the hardest place to visit for a Thai, my wife dislikes the interview process for the UK as it is, I'm sure she wouldn't make it through one to visit the US. A shame but there it is.    

6 minutes ago, sniggie said:

I am a UK citizen married (properly) to a Thai national. 

I doubt she would have any difficulty getting a US visa with her record of travel and ties to Thailand.  It is those married to Americans that are more likely to have questions (due or change of status option once in USA).  This would not apply in her case

7 minutes ago, sniggie said:

The US does seem to be the hardest place to visit for a Thai, my wife dislikes the interview process for the UK as it is, I'm sure she wouldn't make it through one to visit the US. A shame but there it is.    

As a Brit married to a Thai and living here in Thailand I suspect your wife would have a better chance of being granted a US Visa than if she was married to a US Citizen, the Consular Officer wouldn't automatically assume that she was going to apply for a change of status once on US soil.
I understand that the decision is all but made on the strength of the application, so with a properly prepared application she should be almost there.

Not sure what you mean about the interview process for a UK Visa, there isn't one.

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

As a Brit married to a Thai and living here in Thailand I suspect your wife would have a better chance of being granted a US Visa than if she was married to a US Citizen, the Consular Officer wouldn't automatically assume that she was going to apply for a change of status once on US soil.
I understand that the decision is all but made on the strength of the application, so with a properly prepared application she should be almost there.

Not sure what you mean about the interview process for a UK Visa, there isn't one.

On both occasions that we have applied for a UK tourist visa my wife has had to attend VFS in person and have a face to face alone with someone.  I assume that this involves some sort of interview even if it is only recapping what is in the application. Not being in the room I don't obviously know what is said but, although she has adequate English to communicate well with this old falang, it still unnerves her.   

26 minutes ago, sniggie said:

On both occasions that we have applied for a UK tourist visa my wife has had to attend VFS in person and have a face to face alone with someone.  I assume that this involves some sort of interview even if it is only recapping what is in the application. Not being in the room I don't obviously know what is said but, although she has adequate English to communicate well with this old falang, it still unnerves her.   

VFS just capture the biometric details and go through the supporting documents, at least they used to before the applicant had the opportunity to upload them themselves.
There is no interview by VFS staff whatsoever as they take no part in the decision making process, they are all Thai, though there may be some perception of authority by the local Thai staff themselves or the applicant maybe convinced there is an element of authority, if the UKVI want to interview the applicant, they call them in English or a member of locally employed UKVI staff will call them in Thai.
The Consular Staff at the US Embassy do however interview all applicants.

On 6/30/2019 at 11:26 AM, theoldgit said:

the Consular Officer wouldn't automatically assume that she was going to apply for a change of status once on US soil.

It seems highly discouraged as in I'm not sure they even allow this to happen.  I have no personal knowledge to support this comment ???? only what I've read and interpreted on the immigrations website.

On 6/30/2019 at 11:26 AM, theoldgit said:

I agree and they rarely ask for much more supporting documentation other than what is asked for in the application.  

Fill out the online application, do not skip any sections, provide all info requested.  
Be truthful and detailed in your written answers.

Job history at one location, especially a govt job is highly regarded.

A letter from employer granting a short vacation and required date of return is helpful.

Don't believe that a single person can't get a visa. 

Don't believe mentioning an American boyfriend is an immediate denial.

Applicant should be prepared and capable to answer many different questions.  The more detailed the better.  The applicant has this one shot to sell themselves and put up a valid reason why they want the visa and show the interviewer they plan to come back.  Not the time or place to be passive.  

Edited by Nowisee

If they think she's a bar girl, massage girl, or any girl you met while visiting Thailand as a tourist, you will be denied flat. She has to prove she is not a flight risk. If she is single, has no money, no assets, and no reason to return to Thailand, she will not get a Visa.
How is it for all those girls who met their future husband in a bar many moons ago, but are now domestically settled and have been happily married to and had children with their now husband?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk