Teachers at daughters school wanting to visit our home.

sherwood

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Depending on where they are posted/ kept and who has access to them.

I would be drawing a "media use" document and having them sign it, before allowing any photographs to be taken.

https://www.sampleforms.com/media-consent-form-sample.html

Yeah ...sure you would. Who do you think you are kidding?

You really think Thai school teachers wold know and understand what you shoved in their faces?

I'll give you a tip mate....you aren't that important.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I'm surprised how many pensioners have kids at school. What's wrong with you blokes??

Younger wife happy to have family around to support her as she grows older when I am gone in 20+ years time, what's wrong with that?

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

Common practice in Thai elementary schools, kindergarten, and nursery schools. The nursery school we put our son in for was run by Dara Academy. So we had three Nuns visiting. Good to see they took interest in our son and his home life. In the EP our son went to for 7,8, and 9th grade,I was the only parent that took an interest in what what they were teaching and what my son was learning. They said they wished Thai parents wou;d visit the program instead of just complain.

Edited by Danthai
Wattannothai Payap teachers would visit there students at home for very short talks to give a report of progress on my son and Thai Niece.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Younger wife happy to have family around to support her as she grows older when I am gone in 20+ years time, what's wrong with that?

I stopped thinking about what I'll do in 20 + years, we never know when we have to go. 

Just now, Isaanbiker said:

I stopped thinking about what I'll do in 20 + years, we never know when we have to go. 

Guesstimate for Tvisa posting purposes only ???? might turn out to be conservative

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I'm surprised how many pensioners have kids at school. What's wrong with you blokes??

Obviously not to much wrong with us pensioners, still looking after kids, By the way dcikhead, you do not need to be a pensioner to be retired.

Emptypockets, empty skull more apt. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

or perhaps because the Law says you must.

Now you must be one of those prize <deleted> that I hear are out and about on this forum.

Dcikhead personified. 

Grow up arse clown

6 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I prohibit all teachers from visiting. I have worked at these schools for years; they gossip about what is inside, what drinks offered and they are mandated to have photos taken.

When teachers complain to my wife, she tells them that it is against MY culture. Problem solved.

That’s what I did when my daughter went to bilingual school.  I had never heard of such a thing, had nobody to ask, I thought they were just doing it to me because I adopted my daughter and am a single parent.  They explained nothing, had not much to say in response to my questions ...so I said NO Thank You.   The whole idea of it totally freaks me out to be honest.  And now that I hear about photos ...OMG!!!  Who do they think they are???   How about if I come check the teacher’s house, they are spending time with our kids, they are getting our money ....I will show up with a camera and invade their home looking for violations of something that bothers me?? It is just weird.  I feel like I’m living in some communist state I used to read books about.  Later I changed to International school and what do you know ...they don’t ask to invade your house there???  Wonder why, they have a bigger budget.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, amykat said:

That’s what I did when my daughter went to bilingual school.  I had never heard of such a thing, had nobody to ask, I thought they were just doing it to me because I adopted my daughter and am a single parent.  They explained nothing, had not much to say in response to my questions ...so I said NO Thank You.   The whole idea of it totally freaks me out to be honest.  And now that I hear about photos ...OMG!!!  Who do they think they are???   How about if I come check the teacher’s house, they are spending time with our kids, they are getting our money ....I will show up with a camera and invade their home looking for violations of something that bothers me?? It is just weird.  I feel like I’m living in some communist state I used to read books about.  Later I changed to International school and what do you know ...they don’t ask to invade your house there???  Wonder why, they have a bigger budget.

Perhaps international schools see you a cheque signatory not a parent?

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

The children may not have food and unable to learn because of malnutrition.  

Well in Thai government schools this might serve a purpose.  But in the school my daughter was attending, I was paying 90,000 baht a year for her at 5 years old, the parents at this school mostly drove cars that cost over a million baht and up, including me, they can see your address and that you own a house, etc.  I highly doubt they think she is a poor starving kid.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Perhaps international schools see you a cheque signatory not a parent?

I am a parent, legally adopted child.  They don’t do it because it is stupid.  At least my school didn’t do it.  We have moved back to the US a year ago so I could not do that if not a real adopted child.  

9 hours ago, sherwood said:

Struth mate! thats a bit harsh.

I think home is the best and safest place to get a little bit drunk.

Agree, but not in front of your kids, unless they are older than 16

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. Marcus Aurelius
And yes children need feeding. That is why my kid gets 20 baht in her pocket every day.

8 hours ago, Vacuum said:

What do you suggest, visiting a **ore house AKA bar beer, to have a few?

I don't visit neither of them, but getting drunk at home in front of your kids is a no no in my book. I guess you don't mind, but that is up to you.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, amykat said:

I am a parent, legally adopted child.  They don’t do it because it is stupid.  At least my school didn’t do it.  We have moved back to the US a year ago so I could not do that if not a real adopted child.  

i don't doubt you are, you missed the point. By the way are there any vetting procedures for an international school or are the public allowed to walk in sign a cheque and send their child providing they live in the area?

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Judgmental much ????? 

I got quite a few reactions on my post. Seems quite a lot of people are ok to get drunk in front of their kids. Of course I don't talk about just 2 or 3 beers, which is no issue, but getting drunk is another story. 

4 minutes ago, Cheops said:

I don't visit neither of them, but getting drunk at home in front of your kids is a no no in my book. I guess you don't mind, but that is up to you.

depends what type of drunk one is.

many people remain calm and say some funny things when drunk. while others... I agree shouldn't be in the presence of children.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

i don't doubt you are, you missed the point. By the way are there any vetting procedures for an international school or are the public allowed to walk in sign a cheque and send their child providing they live in the area?

Yes, there are procedures.  There are tests for the child, previous education documents, interview, all your personal documents showing legal everything, birth certs, visas, whatever.  (I thought you might be saying that I was a guardian for her not her parent, since foreigners can’t have checking accounts, I have not written one in 15 years ...it wasn’t immediately clear to me, sorry).

10 minutes ago, amykat said:

Yes, there are procedures.  There are tests for the child, previous education documents, interview, all your personal documents showing legal everything, birth certs, visas, whatever.  (I thought you might be saying that I was a guardian for her not her parent, since foreigners can’t have checking accounts, I have not written one in 15 years ...it wasn’t immediately clear to me, sorry).

No need to apologise, My son goes to a local school, a friendly visit by his teachers is welcome.

Being Luk krung when I am told he and his classmates interact well, that is really good to know. I look forward to hopefully more of the same on the next visit. If he steps out of line because he is quite tall and self confident already, I need to know that too. I see the visits as beneficial, and in my opinion a whole lot less invasive than the entry criteria to an international school!

Edited by 473geo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sherwood said:

Cheops, maybe you want to start your own thread on sobriety and child raising and see where that one goes. Good luck

I guess you can't read or understand what I actually wrote, but that's expected from a guy who likes to call other posters dickheads.

7 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

That being the case, will the teachers provide welfare?

Concerns of abuse should be reported to police or other appropriate services

what qualifications do the teachers hold to assess suitability of parenting skills

Are they even doing ant type of assessment, if so a copy of such should be offered to the parents

39 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:
8 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

That being the case, will the teachers provide welfare?

Concerns of abuse should be reported to police or other appropriate services

what qualifications do the teachers hold to assess suitability of parenting skills

Are they even doing ant type of assessment, if so a copy of such should be offered to the parents

You're coming at this from a Western perspective where everyone needs a qualification or certification.... the reality in Thailand is far different - its pretty easy for anyone to identify a broken-home or obvious child neglect.... The fact that they are the child's teacher or representative from the Childs School is sufficient enough for them to 'be involved'...  this is just a 'surface check' not an in depth inspection....  

To be honest, I can't see this as being anything other than a good thing - teachers and schools caring for their students and taking some responsibility to ensure they are safe and secure at home is to be commended. 

Some may consider this an invasion of privacy, but that just highlights their sensitive egos and outlines their self-centredness instead of considering society on a whole. If only handful of kids are protected and saved from damaging homes then this is already an extremely good policy. 

Where is the negative in this? (apart from some princess who feels his rights to privacy have been violated).

• Like 2