Buying beef in Chiang Mai

connda

Are there any stores or butcher shops in the Chiang Mai area that sell beef and beef products that anyone can recommend?
Pork is easily found here.  Quality beef seems to be rare.  I'm looking for shops that sell good quality raw beef cuts.
Location, or even better GPS, would be appreciated.  :thumbsup:

Here you are.

N18.785939 E99.009055 is the entrance to San Pakhoi market. Go through the fruit and vegetable stalls to the raised part at the back, on the left is a halal butcher who can provide good beef but cannot do exotic cuts . She speaks good english.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

Most all high end grocery stores found in the large shopping malls Rimping, topps, villa, or gourmet market, as well as Makro stores sell vacuum sealed high quality steaks from NZ and AUS.

Frozen? 

What I see on display in many of the butcher sections tends to have been sitting in the display cases for a long time.  

3 hours ago, kilt said:

Pon Yang Kham -  Thai/French Butcher. Only beef products.

Canal Road just south of the Huay Khao intersection on the west side.

They supply many of the hotels and restaurants in the city. You can order anything from one steak to a side of beef.

Excellent quality IMO

Never went there but that entire block has been cleared out and the property is under renovation.

Edited by elektrified

9 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Maybe you spend triple on the cheese, but I may even spend less. Agree on the cost of wine.

Paid 300 THB per KG for Finlandia Swiss at Costco last year.  California White American for about half that... Tried that Thai stuff from Thapae gate area for 280 kg, and was the worst ever.  Used to drink Charles Krug Cabernet 6+ years old just to wash down my steak, at 5 usd per bottle, but that was an  end of supply thing, but it was easy to find super deals.. Chianti in the basket was 1.99 per 750 ml at the Canned Food Outlet.. was 10 years old. 

2 hours ago, moontang said:

Paid 300 THB per KG for Finlandia Swiss at Costco last year.  California White American for about half that... Tried that Thai stuff from Thapae gate area for 280 kg, and was the worst ever.  Used to drink Charles Krug Cabernet 6+ years old just to wash down my steak, at 5 usd per bottle, but that was an  end of supply thing, but it was easy to find super deals.. Chianti in the basket was 1.99 per 750 ml at the Canned Food Outlet.. was 10 years old. 

I never pay more than 300-350 per kg. for almost all cheeses (except Parmesan of course). You have to know where to look.???? 

The stuff at Thapae gate is terrible. I buy imported cheese from Europe or Australia. 

Edited by elektrified

Most of the sliced cheese products here are not even cheese, including the stuff makro sells, and a lot of it is from Oz.  I don't even think that oz butter is pure butter for very high price.  But I did notice gecko bar seems to be importing some cheeses, that didn't appear to be similar to paint or plastic.  200 Gram kraft is over 200 THB at Rimsting.. commonly 3 for 5 bucks in the States, at least it is actually cheese. 

We have bought beef from Northern Farm shop on the RHS heading from town to the Huay Khao intercestion

Not cheap, but cheaper and better than Big C and Rimping or Makrp

Edited by HullyGully
Typo

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

What about the local beef, if one tenderize it?

I buy sometimes from Rimping-local beef fillet steak. Tenderize and marinade in soy, lemon,worcester sauce etc for a few hours in the fridge. After that, its very good in my opinion.  For me, no need to over pay for imported steaks.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 9:20 AM, chingmai331 said:

Don't waste your time.  Simply find the nearest MCD and order the BigMac for superior beef, a delicious bun and gobs of spicy sauce.

SPICY Sauces take away taste of beef....well perhaps if one uses Mac D then this will/is a good way to eat it....as I have never found a big mac taste of beef.....

1 hour ago, beau thai said:

I buy sometimes from Rimping-local beef fillet steak. Tenderize and marinade in soy, lemon,worcester sauce etc for a few hours in the fridge. After that, its very good in my opinion.  For me, no need to over pay for imported steaks.

is it tenderloin or just a boneless piece of cheap cut named filet?  That is a common scam....can be great, but it isn't really a filet, although they may cut it to look like one.

On 6/23/2019 at 1:12 PM, moontang said:

is it tenderloin or just a boneless piece of cheap cut named filet?  That is a common scam....can be great, but it isn't really a filet, although they may cut it to look like one.

You will have to ask the butcher at Rimping if its a scam or use your own professional judgement.  I am just an amateur enjoying their steak, whatever its name is.