Savannakhet Tourist Visa Run via Ubon (June 2019)

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
That depends upon a person's nationality. It is from $20 to $42.
image.png.8ff19fd50a095f9edd65427fdd279013.png
Source: https://www.laos-guide-999.com/laos-visa-on-arrival.html

Dang, it WAS $35 for American!!
I did actually clip $35 (1-$20 + 3-$5’s) to the application and after 3 minutes of swapping bills back/forth I could’ve sworn he gave me back $5 more than I gave him.
I remember watching him go back to my stack fumbling with the $ again even after he took everybody’s paperwork/$$ and closed the window.
Did I just ‘till tap’ this guy?! No way!! LOL

No questions asked or red mark about your visa history at savanakhet? 

No questions/prolonged PP inspection at departure, consulate or re-entry.

No red marks thus far.

I do, however, have 2- Brazilian Vitem V work visas (f/ 2016 & 2018) and 2 Colombian VOA entry/exits.

Perhaps that is an indication that I do not have any previous violation(s) of work restrictions in another country.

I doubt it but this possibility did cross my mind.

• Thanks 1

You didnt need a copy of the laos visa at all? I thought i read somewhere u need it but other places dont show it.

They didn’t ask for one at Savannakhet. Maybe they verified I had it when turning in my application/PP.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, craftyone said:

Tourist Visa Border run details to Savannakhet, Laos

Passport details:

USA

Expires 2025

6 - TV’s used since 2016 (incl one expired but validated May 2019)

1 - TV unused/expired

6 - 30 day transit stamps

5 - 30 day extensions - all from BKK

3 years of "Tourism" in one small country?

????

3 years of "Tourism" in one small country?

[emoji23]

Actually 5.
First trip here was the week before the coup.
Admittedly, I’ve never fallen under any valid category other than “tourist” until most recently.
Not too worried about red stamps or lengthy discussions with immigration in the near future.

1 hour ago, Damaz6052 said:

Monday mornings que.

IMG-20190624-WA0000.jpg

I got there around 6.45am today, expecting the worst. Doors opened at 9am, all done by 9.30. So arriving early is definitely worthwhile, but as more catch on, maybe "early" will come to mean earlier and earlier...

This is certainly the busiest I've ever seen it, and locals are saying the same. There's very little shade, and it's an incredibly uncomfortable setup in the heat - even once you get into the Consulate, you're still standing outside!

Very glad I didn't press that snooze button. But I think I will try my luck at HCMC next year if things remain the same.

1 minute ago, pizzachang said:

So I must have US dollars to do the Savannakhet visa run? How about for hotels & eats?

Please quote from the original poster next time. This was not a text from my post. However, you do not need US dollars, and can pay with Thai baht. If you choose to use Thai baht they will charge you 1500 baht, so it´s more favorable for you to use US dollars

• Like 1

I got there around 6.45am today, expecting the worst. Doors opened at 9am, all done by 9.30. So arriving early is definitely worthwhile, but as more catch on, maybe "early" will come to mean earlier and earlier...

This is certainly the busiest I've ever seen it, and locals are saying the same. There's very little shade, and it's an incredibly uncomfortable setup in the heat - even once you get into the Consulate, you're still standing outside!

Very glad I didn't press that snooze button. But I think I will try my luck at HCMC next year if things remain the same.

Wow!!

I was there on a Wed and our line barely made it to the sidewalk near the road before the gate opened at 9.

And I don’t see many Thai GF/wifeys in the pic either!!

I had an umbrella but wussed out using it. lol!
If I was in this line It would be a no brainer!!
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, pizzachang said:

So I must have US dollars to do the Savannakhet visa run? How about for hotels & eats?

You can pay for the Lao VOA in Thai baht, but it will be more expensive than paying in US dollars. As for hotels and eats, prices are usually quoted in Lao kip. You can pay in Thai baht or US dollars, with varying mark-ups.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thatmanagain said:

You must of seen me i was one of the first 10 people there or so. I wonder if you were the half Irish/Brit(i think British) guy i was talking to in line. Hopefully we beat the visa run companys tomorrow on the pick up and getting to border! 

Though i didnt find it THAT bad. Its still a PIA sitting in the heat for 3 hours and then another few hours tomorrow. Much better to go on a Tuesday or Wed if u must go here.

Edited by lovesthespicy
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 7:28 PM, lovesthespicy said:

You must of seen me i was one of the first 10 people there or so. I wonder if you were the half Irish/Brit(i think British) guy i was talking to in line. Hopefully we beat the visa run companys tomorrow on the pick up and getting to border! 

Though i didnt find it THAT bad. Its still a PIA sitting in the heat for 3 hours and then another few hours tomorrow. Much better to go on a Tuesday or Wed if u must go here.

My driver was telling me Mondays and Wednesdays are the busy days for applications. Others are saying Mondays and Thursdays.

Showed up around 2pm Tuesday to collect my passport, only to find the same kind of line again.

So just sat in the car with the air con running until after 3pm when the line had gone down. Glad I wasn't stood around outside for an hour.

So if you're not in a rush and you've applied on a busy day, it's probably worth aiming to pick up the passport later in the day rather than right at 2pm. I believe collections are 2-4pm.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thatmanagain said:

Others are saying Mondays and Thursdays.

Those are certainly the busy days. That is the days that visa run vans are arriving.

That is due to all the people that applied on Monday were picking theirs up.

Go on Tuesday to apply and the pickup time on Wednesday will not be busy.

Apply Wednesday and there may be crowd left over from the morning on Thursday afternoon that disrupts the pickup side of things.

So if you're not in a rush and you've applied on a busy day, it's probably worth aiming to pick up the passport later in the day rather than right at 2pm. I believe collections are 2-4pm.

This ^

And considering the Thurs morning overflow into the afternoon and the fact that you’re not waiting for your number to be called, I’d now plan to just show up around/after 3pm on Thursday for pickup.
Even if I didn’t make it to Mukdahan bus terminal until 6pm, chances are there are still seats available considering these more populated runs on Monday/Thursday are leaving out on Tuesday/Friday afternoons.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Those are certainly the busy days. That is the days that visa run vans are arriving.

That is due to all the people that applied on Monday were picking theirs up.

Go on Tuesday to apply and the pickup time on Wednesday will not be busy.

Apply Wednesday and there may be crowd left over from the morning on Thursday afternoon that disrupts the pickup side of things.

Am back in Thailand from Savannakhet today (Fri. June 28). Submitted my paperwork (non-O multi, [Thai wife]) Wednesday morning at 09:00. Got to Consulate about 08:00 and was no. 7 in queue. There were only 30 people in total so Wednesday seemed OK. But, as ubonjoe says, the Thursday mob (mostly teachers it seemed) were still inside submitting their paperwork up to 14:30 !  We 30-odd weren't allowed in to collect our passports until about 14:45. That made it tight timing for some who were catching buses from Mukdahan bus station that afternoon. So it would seem that submit on Tuesday and collect on Wednesday is best - but I was told that Tuesdays are also getting busier now ! 

Have a feeling they'll also adopt the online reservation system eventually (as per Vientiane) - the limited Consulate staff are finding it hard to cope.    

• Like 1