marriage extension questions

Hello, I want to change from a retirement extension to a marriage extension. This year my retirement extension expires on August 6. If I apply for a marriage extension on July 8, does the "under consideration" period start at the application date, July 8, or 30 days from my expiration date, August 6? Also, does immigration keep my passport during the "under consideration" period? 

It doesn't matter, under consideration continues until you get the stamp, no matter how long they take.

You keep your passport, they write a date when they'll be in a position for you to bring it back for them to stamp. Sometimes they tell you to go away for a second month.

Edited by BritManToo

20 minutes ago, SoonOh said:

#1, Why not go and ask your local immigration office?

#2, Retirement extension gives your freedom

#3, Marriage extension guarantees future headaches  

In what way?

Edited by fishtank

I've gone back and forth between using Retirement and Marriage criteria to get a one-year extension of stay several times.

The "under consideration" period starts the date you apply. It can be just a day or two before your previous extension expires.

They give you a 30-day extension while your one-year extension is being approved. You keep your passport and go back after the 30-days (or a few days before) to get your one-year extension.

Easy-peasy...

Edited by billsmart
Typo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, billsmart said:

The "under consideration" period starts the date you apply. It can be just a day or two before your previous extension expires.

They give you a 30-day extension while your one-year extension is being approved.

As I wrote before when the 30 days start depends upon the office you apply at. All 11 of mine have started from the day my current extension ended.

It is not a 30 day extension. It is a under consideration period with a report back date on on it. The under consideration stamp allows you to stay until your extension is approved or disapproved. The report back date is not the last day of the under under consider period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoonOh said:

#1, Why not go and ask your local immigration office?

#2, Retirement extension gives your freedom

#3, Marriage extension guarantees future headaches  

The idea of a forum like this is to enable people to ask questions from members for advice etc. it would be pointless if all the answers were as helpful as yours. Please explain the retirement freedom and the marriage headaches so we can all understand.

• Like 2

The current position with a new Marriage extension is because there have been so many "bogus " issuing of marriage visas to people who have never even met their so called "spouse" they do on occasion make it difficult & even do home checks.

I could be on marriage but was warned that because of Immigration's interference (I don't blame them) easier to go the retirement route obviously unless the money in the bank presents a problem