Marriage Extension: Possible to Reduce The Approval Waiting Period?

Have just realised that I have made overseas travel arrangements that didn't allow for the full approval period.  Very stupid, I know.

Is there any way I can either apply earlier than 45 days before the current visa expires on Sept 12th or get the approval period reduced?  I could change my bookings, but the best I can do is arrive back in Thailand on the 10th or 11th but I hear that demand in Chiang Mai is making them limit the number of spouse extensions that can be processed per day so there is a worry there.

I considered changing (back) to a retirement extension but currently only keep 400k in the bank and it's too late to top it up to meet the seasoning requirement before I leave although I could bring in the funds now and return on Sept 10th or 11th assuming:

• The seasoning is two months -  I have several retirement extensions based on savings in my passport up to 2015 but marriage ones since then.  Is it likely they will want to see it in the bank for 3 months?
  • Would the immigration at the airport give me a hard time entering from the UK with only a day or two left on my current extension?

I'm going to have to deal with this without delay so please keep this thread on track.  Thank you.

Edited by Greenside

16 minutes ago, Greenside said:

The seasoning is two months -  I have several retirement extensions based on savings in my passport up to 2015 but marriage ones since then.  Is it likely they will want to see it in the bank for 3 months?

Following recent changes, the seasoning period for a retirement extension is now two months. However, you now also need to keep the money in the account after your extension.

18 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Would the immigration at the airport give me a hard time entering from the UK with only a day or two left on my current extension?

Others have successfully explained to immigration why they just want to be stamped in for a short period. As long as it is not the actual day your permission to stay/reentry permit expires, you will likely be OK.

Immigration would not make the report back date less than 30 days from the date your apply for the extension. 

What day do you plan on leaving the country. You can travel during the under consideration period by getting a re-entry permit for it.

You could delay applying for the extension by applying of a 60 day extension to visit your wife and getting a re-entry permit to keep the permit to stay you get from it valid.

No problem entering with only a couple of days left on the validity of your re-entry permit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for the replies.

I am booked to leave on Aug 20th but the return flight doesn't land until September 14th, two days after my current extension expires.  My original plan was to renew before leaving but I gathered from a wrongly informed post on here a while back, that you couldn't leave the country during the waiting period.

If, as you say, they will issue a re-entry permit so I can travel during the under consideration period and allow me back in despite my current visa expiry date, then If I apply on August 16th and get the re-entry permit on the same day, the problem is solved.

I have to visit immigration shortly and will confirm your advice so I can sleep soundly in the meantime!  Chiang Mai can be a bit choosy about the way they apply the rules so it's best to be sure.

As ever, thank you for your valuable help.

• Like 1

CM Immigration were very helpful.

They confirmed that regardless of when I apply for the marriage extension within the 45 window before expiry of my current visa, the consideration period would not begin until the old visa expired - in my case therefore it will run from September 12th to October 12th and that a re-entry permit will be good for that period as well.

The upshot is that I spent several hours panicking unnecessarily, but all's well that ends well and by way of a bonus I discovered a new date calculator that is far better than the old one I used to use.  Here's a link.

• Like 2