Exporting Furniture to the UK

Hello

Does anybody know anything about exporting furniture to the UK?  I've found a couple of really good manufacturers in Thailand that make some really interesting pieces at very good prices.  

Both upholstered and wooden furniture.

I know there are regulations in the UK, such as the 1988 Furniture and Furnishing (fire) (safety) regs etc.  But there is a lot to digest.  I'm wondering if anyone has undertaken this kind of export before and has a quick run down / tips / pointers they can give me.

Thanks in advance

13 minutes ago, SamuiAddict said:

I'm wondering if anyone has undertaken this kind of export before and has a quick run down / tips / pointers they can give me.

One pointer is to negotiate the lowest price with the supplier and then get them to write down an even lower price on the receipt for UK customs.

Best to use an agents in Bkk, we sent a boat container of wood items.

The agent takes care of regs, does all the paper work of certification for treatment of wood for UK customs.

Nothing really to do with your post but I had a good friend who was doing very fancy house doors, windows and kitchen cabinets to Canada 20 years ago. He moved production to the Philippines as sourcing the really good wood he required became too difficult in Thailand. Kitchen cabinet doors were the best seller.

Hi

I used to export with my wife to the UK about 10 years ago,” Bantawai “ in Chiang Mai is where 90% of Thai furniture is made for export. Dozens of Shipping agents who will have an export licence up there, a lot of what you see in Jatuchak Bangkok and all tourists areas in Thailand comes from there also.

How it works,

1. You buy from your suppliers, keep all invoices.

2. Find a shipping agent, give them all your invoices from your suppliers.

3. Your shipping agent collects all of your furniture from your suppliers.

4. Your shipping agent arranges Shipping to the UK port of your choice, 20ft or 40ft containers or LCL which is shared container loads. You pay the shipping agent for his services, Which is collection, packing, loading container and freight costs to the UK.

5. Your Shipping agent will issue you a BILL OF LADING prior to the container leaving.

They will Give you 1 invoice from them containing all of your items and a packing list.

6. Once in the UK you need to contact HMRC to apply for an EORI number.

7. Find a Shipping agent in the UK upon return. give them your packing list and Invoice from the Thai Shipping agent, they will clear it through customs for you and arrange a delivery for a cost.

You need to spend a good few weeks up there it is a Pandora’s box as once you start you will uncover lots more factory’s who can produce the same cheaper than the last one.

You will only have to pay VAT at 20% on your Invoice once in the UK. There is no duty on furniture.

Good Luck, though bare in mind I couldn’t make it work at 65 baht to the £1 

Do your homework first !

jasonr3255 has given sound advice...

Couple of additional things..

1. Avoid the urge to underreport value - this can come back to bite you (e.g. insurance claim).

2. Don't underestimate your UK costs (marketing, delivery, card payment charges, customer returns and chargebacks etc).

3. There may be some losses due to damages (e.g. refinishing because of marking during shipping, inc. in UK).

4. I'd be inclined to avoid upholstered items because of the fire regs....  more hassle than its worth unless you are importing in large volumes.

I think it could work at the premium end of the market, but with GBP now just under ฿39 I think you would struggle at the low-to-mid market.

Edited by HauptmannUK

Thanks guys, good info.

Im in the very fortunate position that I already know and have worked with a couple of retailers in the UK before - both of which are interested in purchasing a quantity provided we can agree on pricing etc.  So I wouldn't be retailing, more wholesaling.  I know there is still the possibility of returns to deal with etc so this will be thought about.

I think we're going to start with some nice wooden only stuff, as you say its easier, and take it from there.

Thanks again

Edited by SamuiAddict

Thanks guys, good info.

Im in the very fortunate position that I already know and have worked with a couple of retailers in the UK before - both of which are interested in purchasing a quantity provided we can agree on pricing etc.  So I wouldn't be retailing, more wholesaling.  I know there is still the possibility of returns to deal with etc so this will be thought about.