Denied tourist visa at Vientiane - new rule 1x per year

15 minutes ago, Caine said:

They don’t want Falangs there, they’re the biggest racist little shits on the planet. And the hoteliers, restaurant and bar owners wonder why they have been deserted. Sooner the country collapses the better reap what you sow.

Best post I have ever read on these forums. Thank you for that.

33 minutes ago, Caine said:

They don’t want Falangs there, they’re the biggest racist little shits on the planet. And the hoteliers, restaurant and bar owners wonder why they have been deserted. Sooner the country collapses the better reap what you sow.

Considering the comments seen on this forum every time any other nationality is mentioned, I find it hard to believe that the Thais are more racist than many of the people here.

There is hatred for every single new group invited by the TAT, that isn't of western European origin.

In between the hateful comments, they are complaining about immigrants in their home country.

It seems like many want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to be racist, but want to live freely as an immigrant in another country, but on the other hand they hate the immigrants in their own country. 

So no, I don't believe they're the worst. They are just constantly outsmarting you.

7 hours ago, allen303 said:

There is an old saying in the military.

Be careful what you ask for, you may get it.

There's an old saying, that's just a saying.

If it makes sense, it just makes sense.  ????

You have to take "discretion" away from Immigration Officers.  Firstly, because they abuse it.  Secondly, because they don't know how to use it. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You do have a point, but on the other hand, nothing that Thai immigration do should surprise anybody.

And by logical extension, based on factual reports and changes we have seen this past year especially, "nothing that Thai immigration do to make it harder for long term residents to stay should surprise anybody."

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BestB said:

And yet people doing all possible to stay in Thailand ????

That's because they have commitments here, or have forged relationships here.

Put this deal on the table to a potential new retiree expat, and they will probably retire elsewhere. 

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

yeah yeah so does every other expat here including myself and in a multitude of other ways - the difference is the ones working legally also pay these little things called TAXES and err last i check governments worldwide kind of find them important.

We are talking about digital nomads.  They tap on their keyboard, making trades, moving money, designing websites etc.

What is the benefit of arresting and deporting them, when they contribute to the Thai economy, and don't take anything out? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

We are talking about digital nomads.  They tap on their keyboard, making trades, moving money, designing websites etc.

What is the benefit of arresting and deporting them, when they contribute to the Thai economy, and don't take anything out? 

If a digital nomad, you have no ties. So just move on to the next place. What's the problem?

It's different for those who have invested here and have ties, including family and friends.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You are thinking as the Thai's do.  Just want every satang out of a farang. 

And they TRULY believe they will get it. That's how good of an impression they have about themselves.

As if, by magic, digital nomads would open Thai shell companies and pay tax just to breathe Thai air, which, if I may add, has been polluted for quite a while recently.

Edited by lkv

1 hour ago, Lashay said:

Well if Vientiane really is limiting people to one TV a year can see a few things happening.

Most immediate will be huge drop of visitors to Vientiane,, so large income loss there (both at embassy and town), would not want to be Thai consul/ambassador there as lot of people are going to be very pissed at them. Can see many hotels and bars going up for sale soon.

A non obvious side effect  will be drop in Thai arrivals/tourist numbers as they have been counting visa runners in those stats.

The language schools in Thailand will see a boost in enrollments (and prices going up)...until they start cracking down on them again (which they will).

Visa run companys will start shutting down and a lot of Filipino hotel staff will have to leave thailand (if been to VT over last few years easy to see they  account for about 40% of people getting TVs)

Over next 6 to 12 months will be sharp  drop in under 50s staying in Thailand, even if they can afford the schools many don't want the hassle unless its a pure visa mill.

A plus side effect is they really will get rid of all the young people really working low end jobs (there are a lot in places like Phuket and the smaller Islands) or the just surviving DN's up north as they will not be able to afford the ED route.

Will be small increase of elite sign ups  but only a small one. Most people who are willing to pay 500000 already did,

Many others  can afford it but  feel need to be sure they are staying for 5 years to know getting value for money and people that are that sure are few and far between.

If they really want to boost revenue from elite only way now would be a no frills 1 year version at aprox 100k. (And if you cannot afford 100k a year you really are not bringing much benefit to Thailand anyway).

If they don't change elite or remove age restriction on "retirement" visas or come up with some type foreign sourced income visa can foresee a 50 to 80% drop in long stay foriegners under 50 (excluding teachers) over next two years, with bulk of the remaining 20% concentrated around BKK working for multinationals.

Spot on I agree with all of this...

The Elite visa besides the cost places under 50s between a rock and hard place to have to commit to 5 years...

The under 50s already had it bad...This would be intolerable...But like you said their only hope would be to find a ED school where showing up was voluntary... Besides this under 50s would be finished in Thailand...Unless they married..

Edited by fforest1

7 minutes ago, JamJar said:

If a digital nomad, you have no ties. So just move on to the next place. What's the problem?

It's different for those who have invested here and have ties, including family and friends.

Are you saying digital nomads don't get into relationships, don't have friends or buy assets here?

Or are you suggesting they don't go out much?

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lkv said:

And they TRULY believe they will get it. That's how good of an impression they have about themselves.

As if, by magic, digital nomads would open Thai shell companies and pay tax just to breathe Thai air, which, if I may add, has been polluted for quite a while recently.

They would only need to to arrest and deport one, and put it on the media, and there would be a mass exodus, and what would be achieved, zero. 

1 hour ago, Lashay said:

The language schools in Thailand will see a boost in enrollments (and prices going up)...until they start cracking down on them again (which they will).

ED visa is too complicated. Most people will probably just switch to METV if they intend to spend most of their time in Thailand.

Get one METV and do the two allowed land border visa hops = 13 months in Thailand (Depending on how you time it even 17 months are possible), not even an overnight stay in another country required, then a trip back home and continue.

That's easier (if not wanting to attend any classes) and cheaper than going the ED visa route.

Edited by jackdd

3 minutes ago, lkv said:

Are you saying digital nomads don't get into relationships, don't have friends or buy assets here?

Or are u suggesting they don't go out much?

Then they aren't nomads.

A member of a people that travels from place to place to find fresh pasture for its animals and has no permanent home.

A person who does not stay long in the same place; a wanderer.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

ED visa is too complicated. Most people will probably just switch to METV if they intend to spend most of their time in Thailand.

Get one METV and do the two allowed land border visa hops = 13 months in Thailand (Depending on how you time it even 17 months are possible), not even an overnight stay in another country required, then a trip back home and continue.

That's easier (if not wanting to attend any classes) and cheaper than going the ED visa route.

How can you do thirteen months on a six month validity visa? Nine months is the max.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Getting the METV is a problem in it self...Loads of requirements that must be met....

The under 50s have it rough...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JamJar said:

How can you do thirteen months on a six month validity visa? Nine months is the max.

9 months from the METV and then get two visa exempts from a land border, 30+30 days each

Let's say somebody got a METV in January 2019 and flew to Thailand back then.

The METV allows him to stay until October. Then he can get a visa exempt at a land border and extension, allowing him to stay until December.

Then get another visa exempt at a land border, allowing a stay until February. Then it's a new calender year, so he can again get two visa exempts at a land border, allowing him to stay in Thailand until June 2020.

This would be close to 17 months in Thailand, with only one METV. Then make a trip back home to get a new METV.

3 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Getting the METV is a problem in it self...Loads of requirements that must be met....

The under 50s have it rough...

Showing something like 5000 Euro in a bank account is not really a difficult requirement to meet. (maybe for some of the retirees here this seems impossible 555)

Embassies in some countries might also require a statement that the person is employed, but a digital nomad can write this for himself.

Edited by jackdd

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

9 months from the METV and then get two visa exempts from a land border, 30+30 days each

The METV allows him to stay until October. Then he can get a visa exempt at a land border and extension, allowing him to stay until December.

Then get another one, allowing a stay until February. Then it's a new calender year, so he can again get two visa exempts at a land border, allowing him to stay in Thailand until June 2020.

This would be close to 17 months in Thailand, with only one METV. Then make a trip back home to get a new METV.

And he's got to avoid airports because "they are not safe".

And when he extends every 60 days they ask him for a TM30.

And....and...and...

You know....enough is enough for some.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Then get another visa exempt at a land border, allowing a stay until February. Then it's a new calender year, so he can again get two visa exempts at a land border, allowing him to stay in Thailand until June 2020.

Showing something like 5000 Euro in a bank account is not really a difficult requirement to meet. (maybe for some of the retirees here this seems impossible 555)

Embassies in some countries might also require a statement that the person is employed, but a digital nomad can write this for himself.

I certainly would not depend on such a method. Once you have spent nine months on an METV, you have already made some extensions and/or border runs.

Then you are assuming that they will happily allow them to keep doing border runs and extensions without any hassle.

We all know where those assumptions have taken some people.

1 hour ago, Lashay said:

can foresee a 50 to 80% drop in long stay foriegners under 50 (excluding teachers) over next two years,

Perhaps not just under 50s, though perhaps a bit more than two years to taper off...the so called,retirement visa,financials are already exceeding average pensions expectations in the UK. Types of pensions are changing for those retiring. Suppose people could have a burn out on the new flexible drawdown pensions, then when they get kicked out at the end of their "12month retirement" go home to a poorer existence....

2 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Then you are assuming that they will happily allow them to keep doing border runs and extensions without any hassle.

Yes, of course they do, at entry points which follow the law.

All you have to do is to stay away from entry points where IOs don't follow the law

18 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Maybe you should stop just making it up as you go along.

If you are self-employed, you(sic) self-assessment and a company registration document are required.

• Financial evidence e.g. original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of at least £5,000 (for 6 months) or a print out with official stamp of the bank
  • A letter from the applicant's employer (in the UK and addressed to the Royal Thai Embassy)
            If you are self-employed, you self-assessment and a company registration document are required.

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

All you have to do is to stay away from entry points where IOs don't follow the law

I am guessing that you are really young. Because everything you write seems to be in theory only.

Maybe you should stop just making it up as you go along.

This does say about the same what i wrote, so what did i make up?

By the way, in for example Germany such an employment letter is not required, just a recent printout from online banking which shows a balance of 5000 Euro (and a flight ticket to Thailand)

I am guessing that you are really young. Because everything you write seems to be in theory only.

I've spent about 18 months out of the last 20 months in Thailand on METVs and visa exempts, how much time did you? Sound like everything you say is just your theory ????

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

By the way, in for example Germany such an employment letter is not required, just a recent printout from online banking which shows a balance of 5000 Euro (and a flight ticket to Thailand)

I've spent about 18 months out of the last 20 months in Thailand on METVs and visa exempts, how much time did you? Sound like everything you say is just your theory ????

18 months is a good haul but the longer you keep the visa juggling up the higher your odds for problems....Hardly any one makes it past 3-4 years visa juggling these days from what I can tell.....

I did back to back double tourist visas for 7 years before but unfortunately those days are gone...

41 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Hehehe good one.

Until you get your first surprise at some land border that you were not expecting.

Not worth it.

Too much stress and for what?

That's what I was asking myself in my balcony in February, trying to distinguish the opposite buildings through the smog (that lasted for weeks).

Then, as I took down the elevator, I knew that the Thonglo police minions were patrolling the streets, checking people for passports. So was walking on the other side.

Was also avoiding taxis, as they stop them frequently, and taking the MRT.

And the first time I travel for leisure through an airport, I am stressed?

And before I left in March, I was reading about TM30's for tourist visa extensions.

W.t.f. sort of life is that? 

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

About sixteen out of twenty four. No border runs and no extensions.

Have I posted a theory? 

I have quoted directly from an RTE website.

Not everyone here is from Germany, are they?

So posting it as something everyone should be able to do easily is just ridiculous. .

Along with the statement of "entry points that follow the law" being equally nonsensical. If you cannot see that, I cannot help you.

There is what might work for you for a while and there is the reality for many others.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:48 PM, nickstav said:

I'm in the same boat my friend. I'd be happy to leave the LOS, but what about my Thai girlfriend? Where can I bring her? We've been together 5 years, can't get married (please don't ask why). I'm not worried about me, but what about her? Where can we go together?

Your home country with its relaxed immigration laws?

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

Then they aren't nomads.

A member of a people that travels from place to place to find fresh pasture for its animals and has no permanent home.

A person who does not stay long in the same place; a wanderer.

Digatal nomad is a new noun phrase and does not conform to literal dictionary definitions. 

• Like 1