Denied tourist visa at Vientiane - new rule 1x per year

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

90 day reports, 2 minutes at the laptop. Never did a TM30 for myself in my life.... over a decade here now. 

I guess you're gonna enjoy the 1,600 baht fine Jomtien Immigration gives you when you go in for an extension of stay.

30 minutes ago, JamJar said:

About sixteen out of twenty four.

So you 16/24, me 18/20 so far, looks like it's possible ????

32 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Not everyone here is from Germany, are they?

So posting it as something everyone should be able to do easily is just ridiculous.

A digital nomad writing himself an employment letter takes how much time? 5 minutes? 10? Is this what you call difficult?

33 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Along with the statement of "entry points that follow the law" being equally nonsensical. If you cannot see that, I cannot help you.

I don't see how this is nonsensical. At a few entry points you might encounter IOs who abuse their power instead of following the written laws, against people who arrive on a tourist visa. So it makes sense to avoid these entry points. Makes sense, doesn't it?

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Cite me one case of a person being fined multiple times, 5000 baht. Most I hear is 800 baht fines, some times an Expat and wife (owner) get fined 2000 each. I have been told NOT required and will go along with that until it changes.

UbonJoe and others have all mentioned about the number of people at Jomtien Immigration getting 1,600 baht fines. I saw with my own eyes people getting fined too who didn't do it.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

A digital nomad writing himself an employment letter takes how much time? 5 minutes? 10? Is this what you call difficult?

I don't see how this is nonsensical. At a few entry points you might encounter IOs who abuse their power instead of following the written laws, against people who arrive on a tourist visa. So it makes sense to avoid these entry points. Makes sense, doesn't it?

You need to learn to read and comprehend, as opposed to just writing child-like nonsense.

I already showed you that some Embassies want to see a company registration and Self Assessment documentation if you are self employed. It's not just a matter of writing your own letter.

Do you even know what they are?

Apart from that, you expect people to run around the country looking for entry points that may or may not let then in.

So please, you can see that not a single person here agrees with your assessment, so leave it alone. You've shown us your theory. If anyone wants to follow it, they can.

Do you imagine that you are more experienced than most of the members here?

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Sixteen out of twenty four because I was actually on holidays. Not trying to live there. It's not a measuring contest of who can stay the longest.

Once again confirming that your thinking is far from adult.

8 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

UbonJoe and others have all mentioned about the number of people at Jomtien Immigration getting 1,600 baht fines. I saw with my own eyes people getting fined too who didn't do it.

Clarify. Are you referring to tm30 or 90 day report not being done?

There are many many reports of tm30 not required at Jomtien. Those reports are regarding 12 month extensions where tm30 was not required. Same as CW prior to recent change of heart. Where CW are now requiring tm30.

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Clarify. Are you referring to tm30 or 90 day report not being done?

There are many many reports of tm30 not required at Jomtien. Those reports are regarding 12 month extensions where tm30 was not required. Same as CW prior to recent change of heart. Where CW are now requiring tm30.

TM30. The 1st time I did it when I arrived I asked the lady at the desk do I need to do it and she said "yes, every time you come back into Thailand you need to keep doing it". There are reports that if a TM30 isn't done, then they don't issue extensions. They ask you to do TM30 (then you have to pay a 1,600 baht fine too), they send you over to the TM30 room to do it.

Edited by bbi1

7 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Sixteen out of twenty four because I was actually on holidays. Not trying to live there. It's not a measuring contest of who can stay the longest.

Once again confirming that your thinking is far from adult. 

I just mentioned two numbers, why do you think it's a measuring contest? You should try to understand what you read before you reply.

10 minutes ago, JamJar said:

I already showed you that some Embassies want to see a company registration and Self Assessment documentation if you are self employed. It's not just a matter of writing your own letter. 

To me it looks like you don't know much about digital nomads. Do you even know one? It sounds like you assume everybody works illegally and does not have a registered business.

But most digital nomads do actually have a registered business, because it's necessary for various things (staying legal is one reason). So for most it's no problem to show their business registration when applying for an METV.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 4:27 PM, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Find a new country my friend

Join the club , enough is  enough .

I want to be free , not alien anymore .

Edited by elliss

Just now, jackdd said:

I just mentioned two numbers, why do you think it's a measuring contest? You should try to understand what you read before you reply.

To me it looks like you don't know much about digital nomads. Do you even know one? It sounds like you assume everybody works illegally and does not have a registered business.

But most digital nomads do actually have a registered business, because it's necessary for various things. So for most it's no problem to show their business registration when applying for an METV.

So then the digital nomads will have no problem then will they?

They can follow your plan and live happily ever after.

Just now, bbi1 said:

TM30. The 1st time I did it when I arrived I asked the lady at the desk do I need to do it and she said "yes, every time you come back into Thailand you need to keep doing it".

Yes that is the law. Also not only every time you come back into Thailand. Law also applies to travel within Thailand. Fact is it is enforced differently at imm offices. Personally been here 7 yr and never done one. I report CW. Now they want it. My understanding is Jomtien does not. Again that can depend on your basis of permission of stay. Going to extend a tourist visa may be treated differently to 12 month extension based on say retirement. 

2 minutes ago, JamJar said:

So then the digital nomads will have no problem then will they?

They can follow your plan and live happily ever after.

If Thailand does not change the rules, then yes, this is one way how they can stay in Thailand for an extended time.

Good to see that you finally agree with me

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If Thailand does not change the rules, then yes, this is one way how they can stay in Thailand for an extended time.

Good to see that you finally agree with me

No. Actually I think that you are a bit of an id...

But there is no point in wasting my time attempting to get through to you.

47 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I guess you're gonna enjoy the 1,600 baht fine Jomtien Immigration gives you when you go in for an extension of stay.

I’ve also never filled one out. No fine. A good agent handles everything.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

9 months from the METV and then get two visa exempts from a land border, 30+30 days each

Let's say somebody got a METV in January 2019 and flew to Thailand back then.

The METV allows him to stay until October. Then he can get a visa exempt at a land border and extension, allowing him to stay until December.

Then get another visa exempt at a land border, allowing a stay until February. Then it's a new calender year, so he can again get two visa exempts at a land border, allowing him to stay in Thailand until June 2020.

This would be close to 17 months in Thailand, with only one METV. Then make a trip back home to get a new METV.

Showing something like 5000 Euro in a bank account is not really a difficult requirement to meet. (maybe for some of the retirees here this seems impossible 555)

Embassies in some countries might also require a statement that the person is employed, but a digital nomad can write this for himself.

I rest my case. 

Some people would use other words to describe you.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

probably just switch to METV if they intend to spend most of their time in Thailand.

If you had been following reports would know even some METV holders have been getting denied entry lately and some embassies are only issuing one.

In some provinces they are also limiting how many ED visas you can get

Only reasonably secure long stay methods for under 50s now are, elite, marriage or working for thai registered company. And can see crackdown/changes for last two down the road

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

Then they aren't nomads.

A member of a people that travels from place to place to find fresh pasture for its animals and has no permanent home.

A person who does not stay long in the same place; a wanderer.

You are arguing semantics.

Yes they are not technically nomads as not moving around enough but there is no popular term for online/remote workers who can work anywhere but decide to mainly stay in one foreign country so people just lump them under the digital nomad title because, job wise, they can move tomorrow with no impact to their job/career

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

9 months from the METV and then get two visa exempts from a land border, 30+30 days each

Let's say somebody got a METV in January 2019 and flew to Thailand back then.

The METV allows him to stay until October. Then he can get a visa exempt at a land border and extension, allowing him to stay until December.

Then get another visa exempt at a land border, allowing a stay until February. Then it's a new calender year, so he can again get two visa exempts at a land border, allowing him to stay in Thailand until June 2020.

This would be close to 17 months in Thailand, with only one METV. Then make a trip back home to get a new METV.

"9 months from the METV" is the only accurate part of this statement - to imply someone would be getting 17 months from the METV is quite a twist of logic. As soon as the final extension of stay on the final entry on the visa finishes, you're no longer using it in any way, shape or form - it's no more relevant than a long expired visa you might have had ten years before. 

Edited by lamyai3

8 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Rich or not (and rich folk didn't get that way by squandering their money). the Elite Visa was a rip off from the day it was introduced. It's little more than a repackaging of what had always been available at cheap cost and without any objections from immigration into a massively expensive tourist visa. The longer term guarantees of the Elite used to be a given on other classes of visa anyway - no one used to live in fear of how they were going to obtain their next tourist visa or extension. Given the current hostility and suspicion towards foreigners here with the 24 hour reporting rules and fines etc, being an Elite visa holder in 2019 is actually a less privileged position than being a back to back tourist visa holder was a few short years ago. 

Nah its not, it's decent value for money. Prolly the cheapest long term visa thing you can buy in the world, tell me one other country where i can get a 20 year visa with certain bonuses for only 30k USD?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Nah its not, it's decent value for money. Prolly the cheapest long term visa thing you can buy in the world, tell me one other country where i can get a 20 year visa with certain bonuses for only 30k USD?

None afaik, but most countrys are not just outright selling visas but with majority if you actually invest (buy a house, start  a buisness so forth) in the country not only can you get a visa but also a path to citizenship and unless you make bad choices that is money you get back if/when you leave.

In upfront costs elite looks cheap, in long term it can be very expensive

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

No. Actually I think that you are a bit of an id...

But there is no point in wasting my time attempting to get through to you.

Don't argue with idiots mate, they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

See my sig for more info.

Edited by sotonowl

What makes it look expensive is the fact that you can get more or less the same thing for a lot less. Until recently you were just paying for peace of mind... but that is changing. If and when it really does come to 3 months a year or stump up for the elite, it will look cheap at today's prices... but will it be available at today's prices?

28 minutes ago, Lashay said:

None afaik, but most countrys are not just outright selling visas but with majority if you actually invest (buy a house, start  a buisness so forth) in the country not only can you get a visa but also a path to citizenship and unless you make bad choices that is money you get back if/when you leave.

In upfront costs elite looks cheap, in long term it can be very expensive

Which of those are territorial tax systems where i pay taxes only on the money i bring into the country in the same year?

sure, panama, costra rica have the same tax system... i am not aware of other asian countries that are on thailands level who have that.

• Like 1

I don't believe the Thai system really is a "territorial tax system" in that sense. I think it's just an expat myth. More than 6 months = tax resident = taxable on worldwide income subject to any double taxation treaty, AFAIC. Whether they actually come for you is another matter, obviously.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Percy Penguin said:

I don't believe the Thai system really is a "territorial tax system" in that sense. I think it's just an expat myth. More than 6 months = tax resident = taxable on worldwide income subject to any double taxation treaty, AFAIC. Whether they actually come for you is another matter, obviously.

You may want to correct the Thai Revenue Department who are helping to propagate this myth.

1.Taxable Person
            Taxpayers are classified into “resident” and “non-resident”. “Resident” means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand. 

Source: https://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You may want to correct the Thai Revenue Department who are helping to propagate this myth.

Source: https://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

I stand corrected, thanks. I have heard something along these lines any number of times but have never had chapter and verse to back it up... or possibly I was mixing this up with the idea that you don't have to pay tax on foreign (non-Thai) income provided that you earned it in a previous year. Now that is a myth, surely? If not, it's elite visa and 9 months a year for me.

4 minutes ago, Percy Penguin said:

I stand corrected, thanks. I have heard something along these lines any number of times but have never had chapter and verse to back it up... or possibly I was mixing this up with the idea that you don't have to pay tax on foreign (non-Thai) income provided that you earned it in a previous year. Now that is a myth, surely? If not, it's elite visa and 9 months a year for me.

its not a myth. you can transfer all money u earnd outside of thailand into thailand the following calender year tax free (starting 1. january obviously): https://www.pwc.com/th/en/publications/assets/thai-tax-2017-18-booklet-en.pdf

And that's why an elite visa and thai tax residency also makes a lot of sense if you are still actively earning money outside of thailand...The few k USD you pay per year you spend 10x in taxes elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Bit of a closed question. Until very recently there was no need to guarantee 20 years ahead as visa rules were mostly predictable and reliable here, such that it was very easy to make long term plans, while retaining the benefit of flexibility.

Consistency of rules regarding visas is also true in many neighbouring countries. Of course, many of them have unstable crackpot regimes in place, and Thailand is no exception. In this regard, the same argument about long term investment could be made with regards to buying vs renting property here... sinking a large sum of money into a place where your rights are far from guaranteed (and seem to be getting whittled away year on year) doesn't seem such a smart choice. 

• Like 2