Employer cancelled my work permit

I just found out in a Line message that my employer of more than 5 years cancelled my work permit. Let's say there were some differences in opinion between us and work is quite slow in the off season. My visa is not an issue as I'm on an extension of stay based on marriage. I had about 6 months to go on my year contract. 

Can they just cancel a work permit like that? And what should I do? I believe I'm entitled to severance pay.

Thanks

16 minutes ago, ivowatson said:

Can they just cancel a work permit like that?

Yes.

16 minutes ago, ivowatson said:

And what should I do? I believe I'm entitled to severance pay.

You will have employment rights. If your employer won’t give you what you think you’re entitled to you can complain/appeal to the local labour office.

They need your consent to cancel your work permit unless they used a old power of attorney you gave them.

They have to give you termination letter the reason for your being fired. If not you can make a complaint to the Department of Employment.

• Like 2

A few years ago after finishing a contract in Thailand my work permit was cancelled - I was given 7 days to leave the Country which was a pain in the ass - I went to Vietnam I think and came back and sorted out a retirement extension. I do not know if you will need to leave but I did.

24 minutes ago, scotinsiam said:

A few years ago after finishing a contract in Thailand my work permit was cancelled - I was given 7 days to leave the Country which was a pain in the ass - I went to Vietnam I think and came back and sorted out a retirement extension. I do not know if you will need to leave but I did.

Probably because you started on a 3 month B visa that was converted to an extension of stay based on working. The extension ends at the same time as the WP, and you get 7 days to leave.

The OP has an extension based on being married so that stays valid ( O - extension )

1 hour ago, scotinsiam said:

When i canceled my WP they told me had to leave could not change the Non B to a retirement extension in country. Not wanting to leave if i could help it i went to one of the hundreds of visa agents here in Pattaya and in 48 hours they were able to do it had a new 1 year retirement extension for 8K baht and well worth it to me

As you were working on a work permit it is pretty much a given that there was a contract, or there should have been one.

It sounds like you are due Severance and the labor court will look at it fairly even if you are not Thai.

The above on the basis of experience as I have an action running for Severance not being paid at the moment, and as there are successful precedent cases of similar circumstances against the same company, expect to be successful.

This website lays it out fairly well, but I have never dealt with this company:  

https://www.interactivethailand.com/labour/severance-pay-in-thailand/

Cheers

In short, you‘re entitled to severance payments as stipulated in the Labour Protection Act, paragraph 118. 

Once that is sorted (and paid) then you can put another one on top by filing for compensation due to „unfair dismissal“. Latter implicates, that you got fired without any fault your end - your call - good luck!

• Like 1