American/Thai Married Legally in Country of Georgia - Husband asks, “What’s Next?”

My friend is seeking help from me and I have no idea how to advise him as he has complicated things beyond my level of knowledge.  He says that he reads this forum occasionally so I am hoping that the board members can help.  I do not agree with what he is doing but it is his life and I hope to help.  He has been my friend for over 25 years.

My Friend did a village ceremony in Roi Et and did not record anything.  He has applied for, at least, two fiancé visas and she has applied for, at least, six tourist visas to the United States. All have been denied.  

They are traveling and are in Turkey with the next stop being the Philippines.  While in the country of Georgia, they married legally with a civil ceremony and filing of the document with the government.

He wants to know, “What’s next?” in regards to visa for him in Thailand and visa for her to the United States?  

He is bipolar and was caught lying in the original fiancé visa application.  He lied about an old domestic violence conviction.  She was denied six times for tourist visa.  Do not know about drug or prostitution in her background but they met in a beer bar in Pattaya where she worked.  He caused problems at both Thai and U.S. embassies in Thailand and was told he was being blacklisted.

Before leaving Georgia they should have gotten several copies of their marriage certificate that they can use for official purposes in Thailand and the U.S.

For the US this means a certified copy with an apostille from the Georgian authorities and an acceptable translation into English.

For Thailand, since Thailand does not recognise apostilles, this means a certified copy which has been legalised at the Thai Embassy in Georgia, together with an acceptable translation into Thai.

There may be service companies in Tbilisi which will for a fee run around and get this done in proper order.

Probably not wise to let one partner keep all the copies.

1 hour ago, George36 said:

He is bipolar and was caught lying in the original fiancé visa application.  He lied about an old domestic violence conviction.  She was denied six times for tourist visa.  Do not know about drug or prostitution in her background but they met in a beer bar in Pattaya where she worked.

what could go wrong?

i have seen this movie before.

• 1 year later...

18 months later and crazy as ever.  The marriage was never recorded in Thailand.  He came back to the United States for medical treatment in January and is now stuck here due to Covid.  

On the typical side, 5555, he is now building her family a home in the province with a business up front, a pool and living spaces in the back.  He owns two condos in Pattaya with one in her name and one in his.    

Father-in-law died last year and Mother-in-law is terminal.  Not sure who is going to be living in this 6.5 million Baht build.   He may never return to Thailand.  His mental illness makes it unlikely he can go through the hoops needed until no quarantine.  By then, his bad health may win out keeping him in the United States.

On the bright side, he seems happier here and that is probably due to the legal marijuana usage in California.  He can afford the loss of all assets in Thailand and wife would inherit roughy 700k usd if he passed away.

Warped situation continues.  5555

Archived