Android Box Not Certified For Netflix

Greenside

It was a little deceptive insofar as the X96 Mini (running Android 7) I bought a while back loaded Netflix and played everything back without any obvious problems.  It wasn't until I had to move it to a different room to replace an ageing Minix that I found it wouldn't access subtitles. The netflix website shows it as incompatible which I think means that a licensing issue stops it working normally.

Now the question:  I did a bit of research, deleted the installed version of Netflix and loaded Netflix_v5.3.1_HD (an old version reputed to get around the problem) which acted normally except when I tried to sign in, it wouldn't recognise my password/email even though they were correct.  It even let me do a password change but rejected the new one too.  I cleared the cache and data attributed to the Netflix app.

Has anyone got Netflix_v5.3.1_HD to work on an uncertified box?  What am I missing?

Edited by Greenside

• 9 months later...

Netflix only plays HD/4K on approved hardware. As Android boxes allow recording out of HDMI, those boxes that don't have copy protection built in are having HD disabled even though they support it. Same goes to unapproved phones/tablets (including Huawei P40 Pro). If you want to use external box to play HD/4K content, get AppleTV or Xiaomi Box, which are certified, or else get a SmartTV from reputable brand, which would have full resolution client loaded. Even YouTube has the same issue but there you could be unofficial app that bypasses restrictions by providing fake hardware ID. Not aware of such an app for Netflix. Regardless, with normal Netflix app on your non-approved device you should still be able to play SD resolution video.

Not missing KODI!  I've got it on two boxes and although it works (mostly) the interface is too much for my family to cope with.  Still using the old Minix box for Netflix which works OK and VLC player on my TV to access the material on my NAS.  Plex remains unpredictable and fairly useless - very disappointing as I once had high hopes for it.  I'll likely press an old mini PC with win 10 into service before too long to see if it will run Plex and Netflix clients.