Depositing 800k in bank for visa

I plan to deposit 800k baht into an SCB account for my retirement visa. I will leave this money in the account permanently and live off other savings in a different account. If I bring $40kAUD in cash from Australia and change it at Super Rich in BKK I save almost $1,000AUD in bank fees compared to wiring the money. The question is, will immigration accept 800k baht I brought from Australia without proof it is foreign money for renewal of my retirement visa?

Will you be applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at a immigration office? For that application you have to prove the 800k baht came from abroad by showing proof it was transferred into a Thai bank from abroad.

If applying for an extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement there is no requirement to prove the 800k baht came from abroad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's exactly what I do. When you say retirement visa do you O-A? If so the money can remain in au bank. If non O visa based on retirement..that is a 90 day visa and you apply for you 12 month extension based on retirement. If non o is applied for outside of Thailand no need to show where money came from. If a conversion from say a tourist visa to non o is done inside los you will need to show money came from abroad.

3 minutes ago, fishtank said:

I would not bank on it.

Exactly! The RBA want aud to be closer to 65 USD than 70. All predictors pointing to that for aud and that's bad news for rate to baht. It hurts but I'm bringing in aud sooner rather than later. The OP is correct in bringing cash in and go superrich. OP you might think of keeping print out of withdrawal from your au bank and receipt from superrich. You mention putting the 800k in bank and just leaving it there. That's what I have done to avoid a slip up. Perhaps consider fixed term a/c. They call them FD ac here. My bank gave 1.55% not brilliant but something.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP is correct in bringing cash in and go superrich. OP you might think of keeping print out of withdrawal from your au bank and receipt from superrich.

If applying for a non immigrant visa at immigration they will only accept proof the funds were transferred into a Thai bank account.

Others have to tried to bring in the cash and showing the receipt for changing it to baht but it was refused by immigration. They had to go to a nearby embassy or consulate to apply for a non-o visa.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If applying for an extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement there is no requirement to prove the 800k baht came from abroad.

If I am already on my first one year extension of stay, then I would NOT need to prove money came from abroad - IE I could use transferwise to load up my bank account, for applying for my 2nd year extension of stay based on retirement - correct/incorrect ?

Just seeking clarity in a confusing world.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OzMan said:

I brought from Australia without proof it is foreign money for renewal of my retirement visa?

You will actually be extending your permission of stay (cannot renew a Visa) and there is no requirement to show where the 800k money came from to get the Extension. Just have it seasoned 2 months before application, retained 3 months after Extension issued, and 400,000 retained after that until next renewal.. back up to 800k, 2 months before.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

If I am already on my first one year extension of stay, then I would NOT need to prove money came from abroad - IE I could use transferwise to load up my bank account, for applying for my 2nd year extension of stay based on retirement - correct/incorrect ?

Yes you could.

• Like 1

I keep funds in Bangkok Bank in a foreign currency account and convert to Thai baht as I need it or when the exchange is high(er).

I have extended my retirement visa two times using the funds in the foreign currency account. I get the required letter from the bank. The Chonburi Immigration has not given me problems in accepting the foreign currency account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dorayme said:

I keep funds in Bangkok Bank in a foreign currency account and convert to Thai baht as I need it or when the exchange is high(er).

I have extended my retirement visa two times using the funds in the foreign currency account. I get the required letter from the bank. The Chonburi Immigration has not given me problems in accepting the foreign currency account.

The OP mentioned couple of things. His plan is to lock it away in Thai account. He intends to bring the cash into Thai from AU. His best option is to exchange that to Thai baht at superrich and wack it in FD a/c. 

Main reason being due to ALL expert advice of the AUD over medium to longer term. 

• Like 1

I have an O-A visa issued November 2018 in Australia. I need to renew it this November and thus have to show 800k baht in the bank. If I bring $40k AUD to BKK and put it into a SCB FC account will immigration accept this as money obtained overseas? 

$1000 in fees to transfer $40,000? I transfer $10,000 regularly for living expenses, the ANZ charges me $27 for that, so four times as much shouldn't be more than $100 max. So where do you get $1000?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

$1000 in fees to transfer $40,000? I transfer $10,000 regularly for living expenses, the ANZ charges me $27 for that, so four times as much shouldn't be more than $100 max. So where do you get $1000?

I got an email from ANZ months ago telling me that amounts 10k and over were fee free transfers.

13 minutes ago, OzMan said:

I have an O-A visa issued November 2018 in Australia. I need to renew it this November and thus have to show 800k baht in the bank. If I bring $40k AUD to BKK and put it into a SCB FC account will immigration accept this as money obtained overseas? 

Since you will be applying for an extension of stay there is no requirement to prove the 800k baht came from abroad.

You need to check with a bank about depositing that amount in cash.

I am sure they will want proof you declared it on entry to the country. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OzMan said:

If you have an Non-Imm. O-A issued on November 2018 in Australia, then you can get another year just by exiting and re-entering Thailand just before that visa expires. You can still bring your $40K from Australia, but you don't need to renew anything this November and therefore do not need show any money in the bank until November 2020. 

Or is it that you just want to do an extension here this year, and be done with your O-A?

Would suggest that the seasoned amount is over Thb 800 k to cater for any ATM card fees and any misc bank charges. Not by a lot, maybe Thb 10 k. Just so balance doesn't drop below the Thb 800 k.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Since you will be applying for an extension of stay there is no requirement to prove the 800k baht came from abroad.

You need to check with a bank about depositing that amount in cash.

I am sure they will want proof you declared it on entry to the country. 

You can bring in 20usd without declaring. I realize 40k aud is more but I have done 800k baht deposits many times in cash and nothing asked. 

Edited by DrJack54

51 minutes ago, Mister T said:

I got an email from ANZ months ago telling me that amounts 10k and over were fee free transfers.

In similar way OFX transfers from au to Thai are free over 10k. Point is the exchange rate is perhaps 0.5 baht less than what you could get at superrich and banks are even worse.

7 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Is 200k baht still allowed for long term oldies ?

Yes if they have been on continuous extensions of stay since October of 1998 and were 55 to 60 years old then.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can bring in 20usd without declaring. I realize 40k aud is more but I have done 800k baht deposits many times in cash and nothing asked. 

Actually it is now 15,000 USD or more you have to declare. They have signs posted in the airports.

1 hour ago, OzMan said:

If you have an OA issued in Nov 2018, I suggest you leave and return to Thailand just before in expires (Nov 2019) and obtain a further 1 year permission of stay, No further action required. Remember to get a Re-Entry permit after if you wish to leave and return between Nov 2019 and Nov 2020.

• Thanks 1