Directing an External Fan on Fridges and Freezers

emanphoto

Given the amount of heat coming off fridges and freezers, I wondered if using a small external fan blowing on the outside of fridges and freezers would aid in the efficiency of said units?  This is assuming all the units' own fans and coils are clean. 

Seems to me that the heat is somewhat trapped behind the units unless they are freestanding and even if freestanding, would this aid in the units' efficiency?

If it is in an enclosure you might consider un-enclosing it.  My "old" fridge would get really warm and I found pulling it away from the wall a bit seemed to help although I doubt it did much for saving energy.  FYI:  my "new" (almost 4 years) "inverter" fridge never gets warm on the sides.  The box on the top gets a little bit warm but not much more than tepid water.

• Like 1

I run a small solar powered fan on the back of my freezer which has the exposed cooling tubes.

Have never been to the trouble of trying to measure effect but I like to believe it must help.

Not so easy to achieve with my refrigerator which has hot spots in the walls and the top and back.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

If it is in an enclosure you might consider un-enclosing it.  My "old" fridge would get really warm and I found pulling it away from the wall a bit seemed to help although I doubt it did much for saving energy.  FYI:  my "new" (almost 4 years) "inverter" fridge never gets warm on the sides.  The box on the top gets a little bit warm but not much more than tepid water.

Would you recommend an inverter fridge? What are the advantages / disadvantages you experience? 

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

Would you recommend an inverter fridge? What are the advantages / disadvantages you experience? 

For sure.  Advantages are much lower energy consumption, quiet, constant temps in both freezer and fridge.  I can't think of any disadvantage.  I have Samsung and hear the LG has a good unit also.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 11:15 AM, bankruatsteve said:

One of ours is somewhat built into the cabinetry so pulling it out from the wall isn't an option.  The top is open so nothing enclosing it there, just on the sides.

The rest, 2 fridges, a freezer, and a wine cooler are freestanding.  

Edited by emanphoto

On 6/29/2019 at 11:36 AM, Dumbastheycome said:

I run a small solar powered fan on the back of my freezer which has the exposed cooling tubes.

Have never been to the trouble of trying to measure effect but I like to believe it must help.

Not so easy to achieve with my refrigerator which has hot spots in the walls and the top and back.

That's a cool (no pun intended) idea.  Do those fans need light to run or do they store enough to run for hours?

1 hour ago, emanphoto said:

That's a cool (no pun intended) idea.  Do those fans need light to run or do they store enough to run for hours?

The one I have needs light to run but at night the average temp drop probably compensates. For sure a low voltage battery powered model with solar charge attached would be ideal at low cost.

• Like 1