Motorcyclist killed by train at Udon Thani rail crossing

rooster59

Motorcyclist killed by train at Udon Thani rail crossing

By The Nation

A motorcyclist who swerved around lowered traffic barriers at a rail crossing in Udon Thani’s Muang district was hit and killed by a train on Friday night.

Police said the accident happened at 10pm on Mittraparp Road at the Udon Thani-Nong Khai section in Tambon Moo Mon.

The victim was identified as Pirathat Dontao, 25, a resident of Tambon Ban Dong in Udon Thani’s Ban Dong district.

Thongdee Boonchote, an official in charge of manning the barriers at the rail crossing, said the barriers had been lowered to block each side of the road while the Nong Khai-Bangkok train was approaching. However, the motorcyclist swerved around the barriers and was hit by the train.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30371951

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-29

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Som Nom Na, and my thoughts are with the train driver who I hope is not too traumatized by the event.

I train driver is ok, no trauma suffered. He was asleep at the time.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A motorcyclist who swerved around lowered traffic barriers at a rail crossing in Udon Thani’s Muang district was hit and killed by a train on Friday night.

Police said the accident happened at 10pm on Mittraparp Road at the Udon Thani-Nong Khai section in Tambon Moo Mon.

Swerving around lowered traffic barriers is not an accident. The police should learn to use the terminology correctly used in The Nation report and also as commonly used by international police forces. The distinction is important as the death was caused not by events outside the riders control, but as a consequence of his own actions.

But i think this is interesting, 

imagine the scene Mrs and myself pulled up behind a car whilst barriers came down in KK about 3 weeks ago and sat and sat and sat others got impatient and zig zagged and wait and wait and up goes the barriers no train, so huffing and puffing into gear and start to move and down came the barriers just missing the car  who had waited in front of me, no sooner the barriers were down theres the train going over the crossing. So all those zig zagging were safer than we two sat waiting, yikes. 

I never go over a crossing without looking first even in England you do not get a second chance, ask the boy on the bike, no second chance.

5 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Is there anyway to stop Thais from driving into trains? 

Up to them. Thais have absolutely no discipline and will always do whatever they like. Any possible consequences simply wouldn't occur to them. You see it every day on the roads, over and over again.

1 hour ago, Sonhia said:

Another life lost because of impatience, stupidity plus a lack of critical thinking... 

RIP, but no sympathy ...

Impatience and stupidity yes.. no thinking took place!

5 hours ago, ejpool44 said:

I train driver is ok, no trauma suffered. He was asleep at the time.

Actually, I am surprised you didn't blame the train driver for not swerving to avoid the idiot on the motorbike.:coffee1:

The way thai motorcyclists zig zag around cars is mind boggling. They presumed the onus is on the motorists to look out for them. Unfortunately he forgot that this time it is a train and train stop for no one. 

5 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Is there anyway to stop Thais from driving into trains? 

Thai culture , life is a race here fast track , stop same same, loosing face . 

Archived