Italian police arrest migrant-rescue ship captain after docking

rooster59

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Is that what you call pulling people out of the sea?

Would you go to a shop to buy water if you already knew there wasn't any left?

Ofc they will continue as long as they are allowed to.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

She was entirely within her rights to pick up as many passengers from the sea as she wished. However, Italy is not, far as I know, obliged to let her off load them on Italian soil.

If the Italian authorities deny her entry, then she did break Italian law by entering. They still, far as I know, have sovereign right to deny anyone entry.

Arguable... Italy lost the last time it tried denying entry and seizing the sea watch... they will probably lose this time, using the same argument.

http://irep.iium.edu.my/28408/1/AJBAS_2012.pdf

486B6CE2-2E26-4188-8E78-ED07849E8C6F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

She was entirely within her rights to pick up as many passengers from the sea as she wished. However, Italy is not, far as I know, obliged to let her off load them on Italian soil.

If the Italian authorities deny her entry, then she did break Italian law by entering. They still, far as I know, have sovereign right to deny anyone entry.

As long there face an emergency situation aboard, they have to let the ship enter the port. Finally Madame captain entered the port. Why?

Read it yourself:

The duty to save life at sea is spelled out in Article 98 of the 1982 United Nations
Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS),6 which provides as follows:
1. Every State shall require the master of a ship flying its flag, in so far as he can do so without serious danger to the ship, the crew or the passengers:
(a) to render assistance to any person found at sea in danger of being lost;
(b) to proceed with all possible speed to the rescue of persons in distress,  if informed of their need of assistance, in so far as such action may reasonably be expected of him;
(c) after a collision, to render assistance to the other ship, its crew and its passengers and, where possible, to inform the other ship of the name of his own ship, its port of registry and the nearest port at which it will call.
2. Every coastal State shall promote the establishment, operation and maintenance of an adequate and effective search and rescue service regarding safety on and over the sea and, where circumstances so require, by way of mutual regional arrangements cooperate with neighbouring States for this purpose. This provision contains two separate obligations, addressed to two groups of States:
the duty of flag States to oblige masters of vessels flying their flag to rescue people at risk of being lost at sea, and the duty of coastal States to establish and maintain search and rescue services. The duty to rescue is further clarified in a number of international maritime law treaties, including the Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS)

• Confused 1

These poor people have been through a terrible experience , having paid their money ,

to what they hoped was a ticket to freedom.  Sleep well tonight ?.

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

Wiki disagrees with you: " Human trafficking is the trade of humans for the purpose of forced labour, sexual slavery, or commercial sexual exploitation for the trafficker or others. "

As does DHS, Interpol, etc.

Exactly.  The captain aided and supported all the above.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

According to Al Jazeera she rammed an Italian vessel when docking. If for nothing else, that deserves jail time.

Wonder how many will be willing to contribute to that charity in future?

‘Rammed’? 

I suspect the people who donate to this particular charity have a different outlook than yourself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alan Michael said:

Thank you Salvini, Orban, Farage, Geert Wilders, Poland, Czechoslovakia and the Austrian's etc for bringing a little sanity into Europe.

All these economic migrant people have their own countries. It's not our fault if they can't look after what they have.

The same goes for the hordes of migrants trying to get to the US. Fight back against your oppressors like we Europeans had to in our past civil wars.

Do or die.

For clarity, can you list the oppressors you personally fought back against?

4 hours ago, Thainesss said:

So, to recap, you won’t lead by example (like most libs - all virtue signal, no action) and take any refugees in yourself but you’ll mock & guilt trip others for not wanting to foot the bill for billions of poor people. 

Nah, that’s hogwash. But typical liberalism. 

Good point.

I was once horrified when my ex husband invited someone we'd met at a fish and chip shop (after a night drinking...) to stay at our house, when the 'address' she'd been given turned out to be a 'doss house'.  The stranger left before we woke up, leaving a lovely note saying how much she appreciated our generosity along with a 5 pound note.  (A lot of money at that time.)

And I'd always been the liberal, whereas my hubby was the conservative ☹️.