Property: Rent or Buy?

Rent or buy?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I bought property when the price and time were right,many years ago,

coming here now i would rent,as the cost of property is now too high

especially if you want a good location,while the rents have not risen

as much as property.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

This is what has puzzled me... shouldn't there be market factors working to bring the prices down? I see nice properties that seem quite expensive...

land around mae jo/doi saket can run to an equivalent of $175,000 an acre... 

Thais make their own rules and are rather stubborn.

Never underestimate loss of face here.

A local landlord would rather see his place empty for a year than reduce the rent.

12 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Thais make their own rules and are rather stubborn.

Never underestimate loss of face here.

A local landlord would rather see his place empty for a year than reduce the rent.

Depends on his construction loan.  

• Like 1

Rent!

Rent because you have no idea what sort of neighbours you will get over time , and what they will build , and how uncaring they will be , and how no authority seems capable of getting them to change their obnoxious ways and how 'insulted' they will act when you ask them to curtail their noise , or burning off or Soi blocking habit.

I can think of nothing worse than being stuck living in a place that has , through no fault of my own , gone downhill , simply because Im committed to paying it off for another 12 years .

Ive lived in places that have deteriorated so quickly that  I would have topped myself rather than spend even ONE more year living there.

If nobody has to follow city by-laws , then no neighbourhood is immune from rapid degradation.... even apparently well organised moo bahns !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, madmen said:

"Very Hard to Sell"

Doesn't make sense. If it was easy to buy then for the seller it was easy to sell

Makes lots of sense when we all know that  the supply is rapidly increasing and  the demand is not...

Plus many of us lived in extremely well built houses that were 80 plus years old in the West. Try to find a Thai build meant to last even 30 years here.

• Like 1

Buy or rent is really up to how long term you see your stay in Thailand.

When renting you might pay up to 10 % a year of the buying price, depending of location and quality. If you are up in the 10 % level, and rent for little more than 10-years – little more to cover for interest – you have actually paid for the property, but own nothing.

If you see your stay in Thailand for 20+ years – or just 15+ years – it's in most cases cheaper to buy than rent.

This is said based on the "ownership" is secured, or arranged, in such a way that you at least get the full planned period of use; i.e. after 20 years you are status quo between renting and buying, and anything you might gain from owning the property is profit.

If I should rent similar property to the house I build, and the land I paid for, I would have paid for it by 10 years rent – just one more year in my house and I stay for free – but I might not have been able to afford renting, what I bought and build; meaning that I would run out of money too fast when renting. The renting price might even be higher, if I compare with actual renting prices, so even less than 10 years, and I would have paid for it in rent, and own nothing.

If you are not sure about the length of your stay, rent, as it might be difficult to sell after a few years without a some loss. Especially if you are not into a prime location, you can often find very favorable rental prices.

????

• Like 1

Buy foreign quota condos if you wish to buy property, rent if you want to live in a house. Stay 100% legal, don't use loopholes or work arounds. Just my opinion.

22 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

My wife got a loan and bought the house and I pay rent to her.  When the loan is paid off she has a house.  I'd pay the same in rent somewhere else.  

yeah and without the other advantages 555 well done