Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

11 minutes ago, poohy said:

Surely you wear your medals when you visit?

You would not be dressed properly without

Do not wish to embarrass them with earned not purchased ones :()

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from my experience in cm immigration I saw most people wearing was is right for the weather.shorts t shirt scandals flip flops.or the same for the ladies too.that is not  losing face with the thais I think.somehow if ask them to dress up for the visa,just one more thing you have to do to get your visa along with the money side.that may be alittle over the top and one thing that is not needed.

Eastern Europe in frigin bikinis n nylon briefs walking all over the place ; banks supermarkets post offices ... gross Europe’s trash !

respect is due.

wear reasonably demure clothing when out n about including IO’s.

for goodness sakes !

My friend just send me a notice from a german government office to dress in shorts and open shoes and to stay hydrated because the heatwave is so dangerous especially for older people ????

The true difference between West and Asia i guess.

7 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Eastern Europe in frigin bikinis n nylon briefs walking all over the place ; banks supermarkets post offices ... gross Europe’s trash !

respect is due.

wear reasonably demure clothing when out n about including IO’s.

for goodness sakes !

Why? They are just public servants paid with my taxes here, maybe they should show some respect and demure and understand "Live and let live". 

Clothing has nothing todo with respecting others, how you greet someone and interact with him does.

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Oh the love bling

Nong Khai Immigration appear to be bucking this military look trend. Last week all staff were wearing very natty yellow tee-shirts and black trousers. Only the young girl student assistants were in their school uniforms.

Thais should be smart enough to understand that some foreigners suffer a lot in this humid hot climate. I always change my t-shirt outside the imigration to a nice shirt and walk inside. When I come out again I change back to my t-shirt immediately. Otherwise it is too hot for me. In the future I will come with a suitcase with long trousers and nice shoes. The easiest might be to dress like an Arab. Can put it even over your existing dress for the minutes you need it. 

I guess you have to start packing your things Kitten Kong ...or rethink your position and buy some damn pants before your next visa is needed!!!
When they had similar dress code at Philippines BI offices ( until about 4 yrs ago ) .there used to be a guy renting out skanky track pants , outside the Mandaue Cebu office ..to pull on over your your beautifully tailored , expensive dress shorts ..:) ..
Guys used to say .. " I'm not wearing long trousers in the Philippines " ..
But they soon came to heel when they couldn't get a visa extension.

Jomtien ..it appears from the OP is not totally banning all shorts ..just beachwear and abbreviated styles.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

If anyone needs to smarten up, it is Thai Immigration.  They could start by getting rid of nonsensical 90 day reporting, TM forms, and allowing foreigners to keep their money in western banks and brokerage firms instead of demanding them to deposit their money in their third world banking system.

Maybe they could look at how western countries treat their citizens when they are living in countries that value freedom.  Come on Thailand, step out of the dark ages.  

16 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

So when you state " Most expats look like tramps" what percentage would that be?, just concerned that you lump anyone you don't know into this bracket or is it just another empty reply with no substance ? Do you have proof of your statement ? No, I thought not, you need to be careful walking around with your nose in the air (snobbish) you tend to bump into lampposts and tread in dogsh!te ????

Many do, at my IO I've even seen men dressed in just a sweaty vest and shorts with a pot belly jutting out, it's disgusting.

17 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

My friend just send me a notice from a german government office to dress in shorts and open shoes and to stay hydrated because the heatwave is so dangerous especially for older people ????

The true difference between West and Asia i guess.

Why? They are just public servants paid with my taxes here, maybe they should show some respect and demure and understand "Live and let live". 

Clothing has nothing todo with respecting others, how you greet someone and interact with him does.

going to the trouble to dress nicely does show respect, it also shows self respect. I get dressed nicely even if I'm just going shopping for food.

It is very warm in Pattaya and many people wear shorts. 

It is very warm in Bangkok and only a few people wear shorts, never the people working, for government, banks, in offices. 

I lived 15+ years in Pattaya, mostly wearing shorts and short sleeves shirts. 

Except when needed to go to Immigration, and all other official instances. 

A matter of respect. 

Thai people will rarely say one is impolite, but sure they will think one is. 

Here in Thonglor where I live now, no shorts for me, whenever,

well except home. 

3 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

western banks and brokerage firms instead of demanding them to deposit their money in their third world banking system.

Because western banks have done amazing things with your currency? The smart ones put there money in these "3rd world" banks years ago and are killing it on exchange rate. Immigration by default is doing everyone a favour as the baht continues to soar 

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

going to the trouble to dress nicely does show respect, it also shows self respect. I get dressed nicely even if I'm just going shopping for food.

Sure. We also should swim with the clothes like Thais do. Every thing else would be not consequent. 

20 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Sure. We also should swim with the clothes like Thais do. Every thing else would be not consequent. 

Well, some white whales would look better swimming with their clothes on.

Every time I go to immigration or any government office, I always dress smartly; you don't need a 3-piece-suit, just a bit of common sense and respect for Thai Culture is enough.

Some of the foreigners I see at Jomtien immigration dress like a sack of shit; some of those probable don't even have a clean shirt, and they are rude to the immigration officers as though they are doing them a favour by coming in.

Being as we're all tarred with ths same brush, I'm embarrassed to be included in the same category as these morons.

Yes, I'm British.  But I'll be the first to agree that some Brits in Spain are not exactly model citizens, no doubt other places as well.  I'm a firm believer of, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".  It's not rocket science, just common courtesy.

I always make sure that I am dressed correctly when visiting any government office and not just immigration it is alarming when you see foreigners turning up at the local IM office looking like they have just crawled out of bed in the same clothes they wore the day before it does not present a good image ☹️

Like you do.  I have lived in the tropics all my life Asia and South Florida.  Bankers also wear dark suits in South Florida and the snowbirds from NYC sweat.   
Maybe you do no exercise? exercise makes you sweat more even when doing light exercise. We know Thais mostly move slowly so they never get to sweat levels, maybe you are the same?

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If it doesn't help a flawed application, there is no point!

Focus on getting the application right, and forget the ironing board.

If? And if you break one recommendation, that they expect to be followed as a rule, then you are saying that will not damage their opinion of you? 

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Everyone laughs at me but I have been saying this for years.

I ALWAYS dress like I am going to a very important business meeting when I go to immigration or the bank or any Thai government location.

And it does make a very big difference. Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Incredible that I still see farangs wearing shorts and tee shirts to immigration and especially to the bank to open accounts. 

Very sensible post, most countries ask for respectable dress code for certain areas, its just common sense and being courteous, actual a retired friend who has resided in thailand for around 6 years now makes me dress in good casual when we go bar hopping, nice shorts, short sleeve shirt or casual top and decent sandels, not flip flops, and it does work as the girls love it when a guy dresses decent, ive even scored without paying a bar fine and hourly rate, she was happy to go for a meal and back for sex no cost. now we are good friends and she stays when i visit, 

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Everyone laughs at me but I have been saying this for years.

I ALWAYS dress like I am going to a very important business meeting when I go to immigration or the bank or any Thai government location.

And it does make a very big difference. Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Incredible that I still see farangs wearing shorts and tee shirts to immigration and especially to the bank to open accounts.   

Me too,not a suit but black trousers (jeans but can’t really be discerned as such) and a conservative  short sleeved shirt and proper shoes. My wife dresses to the same standard . You are only doing yourself a favour and the number of times when sitting in the queue we have been beckoned over ahead of those before us I have lost count.

Why the complaints?  Very little to ask of us to dress properly when doing business, visiting temples etc.  As we would in our own countries.  Sadly, the inappropriate actions or appearance of many foreigners cause them to take these actions.  And, you can take some satisfaction as you will probably be cleaner and more appropriately attired than many local persons and others doing business there as well.  I for one, and I am certain all of you have all seen someone improperly attired any where here and hoped that person was not a representative of your own country. 

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Dressing well does NOT fix a flawed application. SORRY!

dressing well , does not proove anything,  only do very naive people think that one is a better person if they 'dress well'.

why should i need to ,dress well' to impress a bank---how ridiculous...i can show plenty of money , surely that is more impressive..

sure, wearing a singlet or no shirt, would be inappropriate, but jomtien is a hot beach area catering to tourists and expats...

most of these people wear flip flops{jandals}, shorts and a tee shirt..

there is nothing wrong with that...

do the people at immigration think they are some type of royalty..

nobody else, has the right to tell me how to dress....

Archived