Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

14 minutes ago, moe666 said:

No it want but I am willing to bet a well dressed person who takes the time to look good will also have taken the time to make his application correct. It is just like the military they check you rack to see if it is made properly if it isn't on what else do you cut cornors

So wearing shorts and sandals means your too stupid to do the paperwork correctly ?

Good one 

Maybe they should make immigration wear them then, cos they seem unable to know or complete paperwork correctly

The army is different, they need to check for all the idiots in it

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Fifteen years ago I went to the Bangkok Immigration at the old location to apply for my first retirement extension. In the queue ahead of me were two men, a matched pair. bald shaven heads, tattoos on upper limbs each wearing a grubby string vest, striped Speedo swimming shorts and flip flops. They were turned away.

Why, wrong paperwork ?

Poor immigration too lazy or inept to do the paperwork ?

Why should the clothes prevent them from working, why should we show respect to some pen pushing paper shuffler  who is usually too stupid and makes up the rules as they go along

22 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

No shorts on men. ?? Is this Thailand?? "long shorts" are worn by men all over Thailand

TIT, idiots make alltime new law and rules this is idiotland thailand today, goverment idiots have own big idiotfactory who plan alltime new stupid law.

4 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

So you think an aresole in long strides is better than a mild respectful person in shorts ?

So you get dressed up to show power, ?

Yes we require the immigration to obey the rules and follow them, we provide the correct fees, paperwork, they provide the visas/stamps, that is their job, irrespective of whether they like or dislike the person requesting the visa/stamp

They sit on their arse, shuffling mountains of unwanted paperwork, in a basic office area, so dress casual dress code should have no bearing on them doing their job

But yes, No budgie smugglers, sweaty T shirts, and smelly armpits, but that applies to anywhere not just immigration

You obviously don't get it!

I agree that clothes don't maketh the man, but that is totally irrelevant in this case.

It is about respecting the rules, which are not by any means unreasonable.

Not sure what you mean about dressing up to show power........... again, respecting the rules, nothing else.

You are in thailand now have respect for thai traditions it is not so much male shorts that offend but females braless and almost showing what thay have that offends the thai people the only place you will find thai girls dressing like that is pattaya and you know why if you cannot dress in a way that does not offend the natives i suggest you f### off home as you have already made outsiders here unwelcome  and will ultimately destroy the industry on which this beautiful country exists

This thread makes me smile, at least some of the posts.

When I go to important business meetings I wear a suit, a shirt with a tie, cufflinks and Oxford shoes... or black tie suit in the evening.

Personally, I won't wear any formal business clothes when I go to immigration.

I think that a chino, a shirt and some leather shoes will do... maybe I'm wrong???

I wore shorts n tank top......or some call it singlet for over 10 yrs........I didn’t know and no one including my wife ever told me not to.

Then one day an I O went ballistic........who was I........who did I think I was.......where did I think I was going?

NO ONE TOLD ME~!!

But once they did........no one had to tell me again

Cuz I’m a fassssst learner......lolol

13 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Why, wrong paperwork ?

Poor immigration too lazy or inept to do the paperwork ?

Why should the clothes prevent them from working, why should we show respect to some pen pushing paper shuffler  who is usually too stupid and makes up the rules as they go along

This comment neatly summarises the comtempt many foreigners have for Thai people in general and the diligent work they do at immigration.

Just now, Captain 776 said:

I wore shorts n tank top......or some call it singlet for over 10 yrs........I didn’t know and no one including my wife ever told me not to.

Then one day an I O went ballistic........who was I........who did I think I was.......where did I think I was going?

NO ONE TOLD ME~!!

But once they did........no one had to tell me again

Cuz I’m a fassssst learner......lolol

i was refused service in a pub in the lake district for wearing a vest in 1970. Showing sweaty armpit hair and ugly thick yellow toe nails is disrespectful. 

Totally agree. When going to immigration I wear short sleeve conservative shirt with collar plus long trousers.

I am annoyed and sometimes appalled to see so many Farang dressed like tramps and acting like slobs. I can hear them complaining and getting the cold shoulder treatment which they deserve.

12 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

i was refused service in a pub in the lake district for wearing a vest in 1970. Showing sweaty armpit hair and ugly thick yellow toe nails is disrespectful. 

You forgot the beer gut hanging over the band of the elastic band on the shorts, bum crack showing and probably poor quality underwear to boot and open footware

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Everyone laughs at me but I have been saying this for years.

I ALWAYS dress like I am going to a very important business meeting when I go to immigration or the bank or any Thai government location.

And it does make a very big difference. Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Incredible that I still see farangs wearing shorts and tee shirts to immigration and especially to the bank to open accounts.   

Don't be ridiculous the immigration officers couldn't care less as long as u are clean and polite. This edict is just from bored idiot who's higher up 

Incredible that I still see farangs

What is incredible, is that you disrespect Westerners by calling us Farangs.  

I ALWAYS dress like I am going to a very important business meeting when I go to immigration or the bank or any Thai government location.

I hope that works for you.  In your own words, no matter how you dress you will always be looked upon as lower than Thais because they feel superior to "farangs."  Westerners are different.  

I'm laughing now.  I won't tell you if it is at you or with you.  What do I know?  I'm just a "farang."  Right?

33 minutes ago, travelling wilbury said:

You are in thailand now have respect for thai traditions it is not so much male shorts that offend but females braless and almost showing what thay have that offends the thai people the only place you will find thai girls dressing like that is pattaya and you know why if you cannot dress in a way that does not offend the natives i suggest you f### off home as you have already made outsiders here unwelcome  and will ultimately destroy the industry on which this beautiful country exists

Well said! Its about self respect which will reflect in outward appearance.

A little story about how you should dress in public. I had a friend in the sixties who was the lead guitarist of a then chart topping rock group. He went to purchase a hi end hi fi system from an upmarket store. His appearance and dress was typical of a rock star at that time. The shop assistants constantly ignored him, presumably thinking he was poor because of his appearance and instead served other people in front of him. In the end he finally lost patience and went elsewhere for his purchase. That store that day lost a sale of several thousand pounds. I am not suggestion that you should turn up at immigration in anything less that a a pair of decent clean shorts. shoes and smart shirt however there is a very old saying "Never judge a book by it's cover" something that TI should do well to remember.

And it does make a very big difference. Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Incredible that I still see farangs wearing shorts and tee shirts to immigration and especially to the bank to open accounts.   

Excellent. I entirely agree. If you look like trash you'll be treated like trash. Pretty much the same anywhere, not only in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, khastan said:

A little story about how you should dress in public. I had a friend in the sixties who was the lead guitarist of a then chart topping rock group. He went to purchase a hi end hi fi system from an upmarket store. His appearance and dress was typical of a rock star at that time. The shop assistants constantly ignored him, presumably thinking he was poor because of his appearance and instead served other people in front of him. In the end he finally lost patience and went elsewhere for his purchase. That store that day lost a sale of several thousand pounds. I am not suggestion that you should turn up at immigration in anything less that a a pair of decent clean shorts. shoes and smart shirt however there is a very old saying "Never judge a book by it's cover" something that TI should do well to remember.

In the 50's, my Grandfather sent my Aunt, his daughter, to buy 3 Oldsmobiles.  She had cash.  They ignored her because she was a young woman.  She showed them the cash and then went across town to another Oldsmobile Dealership.

And you’re  telling us Thais don’t dress like slobs, especially the geezers a bar of carbolic wouldn’t go a miss with most of them. 

Instead of Thai Immigration leaders being concerned about what a foreigner wears when they report to immigration, perhaps they should ask themselves why they are ordering foreigners to report every year for visa extensions, show up for 90 day reports, and now TM forms for various idiotic reasons.  

It looks like these people are trying to emulate communist regimes where their citizens are closely monitored.  Maybe they should consider emulating countries that cherish freedom, and free speech.  Most Thais who figure out how to live in these western countries have no interest in returning to Thailand to live.

If you haven't noticed, travel articles touting Thailand as a retirement destination have dried up.  YouTube has countless videos talking about the western exodus from Thailand.

At one time, Thailand was a dream location for westerners.  Those days are over folks.

Maybe it is a sign or age or maybe a sign of my upbringing but I would never go to a government (or non-government) office dressed like a disrespectful bum. My blessed grandmother would have slapped the snot out of me if I had. I have been to this office many times and think that the sign should be amended to include: "Patrons Must Shower and (men) Should Shave. Clothes Should be Clean and Deodorant is Suggested" That last requirement might limit the number of European clients.   

40 minutes ago, JackDenz said:

Totally agree. When going to immigration I wear short sleeve conservative shirt with collar plus long trousers.

I am annoyed and sometimes appalled to see so many Farang dressed like tramps and acting like slobs. I can hear them complaining and getting the cold shoulder treatment which they deserve.

but what are they complaining about. The bad service , the staff who change the rules to suit themselves, and yet you say we should respect them ? I was taught respect was earned, and while i treat them with politeness, i think they have a long way to go before they earn my respect, especially when the cannot answer my questions on the rules, and when i ask why, they say they don't understand them themselves

29 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

In the 50's, my Grandfather sent my Aunt, his daughter, to buy 3 Oldsmobiles.  She had cash.  They ignored her because she was a young woman.  She showed them the cash and then went across town to another Oldsmobile Dealership.

Thank God for that! For a moment I thought you were going to tell us that they went across the street and bought Pontiacs!

4 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

Maybe it is a sign or age or maybe a sign of my upbringing but I would never go to a government (or non-government) office dressed like a disrespectful bum. My blessed grandmother would have slapped the snot out of me if I had. I have been to this office many times and think that the sign should be amended to include: "Patrons Must Shower and (men) Should Shave. Clothes Should be Clean and Deodorant is Suggested" That last requirement might limit the number of European clients.   

exactly !! a clean pair of speedos, a clean singlet and clean sandals, after a nice shower, and some smellies. What more do they need to shuffle ruddy papers around

Archived