Can I run up Doi Suthep in the evening?

revgreen

Visiting CM for a couple days & have been running at CMU, but wanna do something a bit different. I know I've seen bikers riding up and down in the past, but I've never seen anyone jog it. I usually do my running in the evening... is traffic particularly bad? Would it would better to do it at sunrise?

Safer and much better cardio if you run up the pilgrims trail.

proper cross country running and should be a real 1hr burnout for you.

I say safer in that theres no traffic to run you down but then theres snakes and tree roots that can leave you isolated without a leg to stand on...aint that right Britman2?

• Like 2

The Monk's trail is relatively popular with joggers in the late afternoon/early evening. That is better than the road. I wouldn't do either in the dark, though the monks do come down that trail in pitch darkness all the time. On Doi Suthep road be cautious of the packs of feral dogs that spend the night in the forest a few feet off the road. I've ridden down that road on a bicycle at night and the sounds coming from the woods make you think that a portal to hell may have been opened. 

9 hours ago, Bill97 said:

[quote post="14302369" timestamp="1561999940" name="neeray" userid="....
....In the dark, I'd say your chances of ending up dead are fairly high.

Any facts to support that or is it just your imagination?

Got a friend who runs up 3 times a week at 4:30 am, dark then. Been doing it for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What a silly comeback you have there Bill97. A simple read of my post would show that it is strictly "opinion based". Has nothing to do with imagination.

Try getting out of bed on the other side before you post such ridiculous comments.

9 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Safer and much better cardio if you run up the pilgrims trail.

proper cross country running and should be a real 1hr burnout for you.

I say safer in that theres no traffic to run you down but then theres snakes and tree roots that can leave you isolated without a leg to stand on...aint that right Britman2?

Went up in the evening a couple of weeks back, in the rain and getting dark.

Pit viper right in the middle of the trail just before Wat Palaat.

Edited by BritManToo

12 minutes ago, revgreen said:

I ran up pilgrim's trail yesterday evening, and the main road this morning. Good stuff!

Excellent, live report:  How many dead people did you see?  Injured?  Deadly animals? Emergency vehicles? 

Or was it just you and a bunch of hot ladies?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Excellent, live report:  How many dead people did you see?  Injured?  Deadly animals? Emergency vehicles? 

Or was it just you and a bunch of hot ladies? 

None of the above. Just a bunch of younger - middle aged Thai guys and a few shirtless farangs.

1 hour ago, banagan said:

There's a hiking trail I've seen people running on. 

That would be pilgrim's trail I believe. Was a great run. 4km round trip, I did 3 circuits and it kicked my ass. That plus my run on the main road this morning ensures that I'll be hobbling back home to Chiang Rai, happy I accomplished my goal!