Labour's Corbyn, 70, calls for independent probe into report he is "too frail" to be UK PM

snoop1130

Labour's Corbyn, 70, calls for independent probe into report he is "too frail" to be UK PM

ddfgdf.JPG

FILE PHOTO - Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of Britain's opposition Labour Party, campaigns in Southall, London, Britain May 18, 2017. REUTERS/Neil Hall

LONDON (Reuters) - British opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn, 70, called for an independent investigation into a Times newspaper report which cited unidentified senior officials as saying they were concerned he was too frail to be prime minister.

“This matter has inevitably undermined confidence in the principle of civil service neutrality, which is integral to the healthy functioning of our democracy,” Corbyn wrote to Cabinet Secretary Mark Sedwill, head of the civil service.

“I would urge you to ensure that there is a speedy and thorough independent investigation, rather than one carried out by the Cabinet Office,” Corbyn wrote.

Prime Minister Theresa May’s spokesman said it was the Cabinet Office’s role to investigate.

“The Cabinet Office is investigating ... if we are able to identify an individual responsible we will take disciplinary action,” he told reporters.

“We are taking the matter extremely seriously. The civil service is responsible for looking into any potential breaches of the civil service code and this is no different.”

The Times reported last month that senior civil servants have become increasingly concerned about Corbyn’s health and warned that he might be forced to stand down as Labour leader because he was not up to the job “physically or mentally”.

“The idea that civil servants should be briefing newspapers against an elected politician, against a prospective government is something that should be very concerning to a lot of people,” Corbyn said on July 1 of the story.

Corbyn has said he is “a very fit, a very healthy and very active person.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-02

• Haha 1

Now some civil servants are likely to get the sack for being less than honest with the facts, frail? should have gone the whole hog and pointed out he has lost his marbles, though why risk your job to state the blindingly obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Let's face reality, at 70 Corbyn is too old to be anything except retired.

It's an obvious truth for all to see, but I guess we can't have civil servants mentioning the truth.

Of course they can't leak a conclusion like that to newspapers, that is not their job.  And was there an enquiry or was it the opinion of a civil servant?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Stalking? Seriously? Do you really think that me pointing out your lack of consistency is akin to stalking?

If you feel strongly about it, I suggest you make a complaint directly to the moderators. Personally I would respond that I had noticed you said polar opposite things on two different threads and thought it worthy of comment, but maybe you can offer a suggestion as to how I might have highlighted your hypocrisy without having caused you fear and alarm?

Trawling back through a members past postings in a desperate attempt to paint (false)equivalence and justify an ad hominem attack. Yes, absolutely textbook stalking behavior. 

For the record, I see no similarities between Merkel's shaking fits and Corbyn's general geriatric-ness. Never even tried to compare them. 

Edited by TopDeadSenter
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Nothing to do with stalking, just someone pointing out your opinions are not very consistent (well, attacking Corbyn no matter what is consistent).

" The idea that civil servants should be briefing newspapers against an elected politician, against a prospective government is something that should be very concerning to a lot of people,” Corbyn said on July 1 of the story. "

He is right, things like this should not happen.

"" The idea that civil servants should be briefing newspapers against an elected politician, against a prospective government is something that should be very concerning to a lot of people,” Corbyn said on July 1 of the story. "

He is right, things like this should not happen."

I agree.  It's appalling that senior civil servants would behave this way.  They need to be identified and sacked, as unfit for their position.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

If I were him I'd shut up, he protesteth too much. Find the leak and sack them.

If he hadn't made an issue of these un-named, senior civil servants spreading propaganda against him - nothing would have been done.

But I do agree that they need to be found, and sacked.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MartiniMan said:

Isnt this the anti semite one? Come on he's a joke high taxes and open borders wont work

What does work, because after almost 10 years of Tory ideology, the country seems to be more unequal than probably most can remember?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, khunken said:

Nobody seems to consider that this could well be a made-up story by the Murdoch gang.

They have form here and one of their past efforts was by none other than Boris, who is far more unstable than Corbyn.

On the face of it, quite likely, but  I've never understood why Murdoch and the Tory papers attack Corbyn, instead of the Labour party. Why run the danger of helping to remove one of their main assets?

6 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

What does work, because after almost 10 years of Tory ideology, the country seems to be more unequal than probably most can remember?

This is undoubtedly true, and a fairly radical remedy is required. However IMHO Corbyn is not the man for the job, because he is very unpopular with ordinary voters in poll after poll, and incapable of being a real leader. He has to ask Len the Gross and Seamus the Trot before he is allowed to make decisions. His fence sitting on Brexit has given him such a bad case of piles that it has infected his brain. However his physical fitness is beyond question, it would do MPs a world of good to run 7k on a regular basis, as most are overweight if not obese, and potentially a burden on the NHS. They should join him as should the civil servants involved in this breach of the rules. 

The Labour Party should copy the Tories and lie to the public. Promise the voters a nice cuddly moderate Labour alternative, with a nice cuddly moderate Labour leader. Then when they get into power shaft the rich till they begged for mercy, and close all the tax loopholes used by the Tory grandees, and Google, Amazon, Starbucks etc. Then we could afford money for the NHS.

Sad to see "Oh Jeremy" not appearing at Glastonbury this year. I was looking forward to his glorious barbershop quartet rendition (With MacLusky, Milne and Landsman) of Carol King's "You've got a friend" dedicated to Nigel Farage. 

• Like 2

On 7/2/2019 at 7:23 PM, TopDeadSenter said:

His cohorts will be furious reading this. He implies that if a person is not fit, active and healthy they are unsuitable for high government. Essentially it is fat shaming. What will poor Ms Abbot be thinking? 

And "frail" is probably the most polite thing I ever head someone say about Corbyn.

And Donald is fit at 72 get lost

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

His wife at the time probably thought so!

Corbyn cant even raise a unofficial  complaint @ conference in Blackpool .

How he ever became leader of the once proud, working class party, so sad. 

Tory Blair,come back soon, we need a leader, all is forgiven, better than nought.

Edited by elliss
spelling

On 7/3/2019 at 6:23 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

still wed to megaphone politics like red ken back in the 70s and doomed to fail their dwindling  voters .too old to be PM

7 hours ago, elliss said:

Tory Blair,come back soon, we need a leader, all is forgiven, better than nought.

Which is totally unrelated to the topic.

10 hours ago, elliss said:

"Tory Blair,come back soon we need a leader, all is forgiven"

My initial reaction was to think about reporting this post for being extremely offensive!

Hopefully it was a joke.

• Like 1