Why Can't I Open My Laptop Files?

khaepmu

When I started my laptop this morning and tried to open my files,  a popup appeared and said "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this task. Please install an app, if one is already installed. create an association in Default Apps Setting page." Video downloads seems to be OK.

Being a fairly computer illiterate baby boomer, I have no idea what this means or why I suddenly find my self unable to ope important files. Any suggestions/ advice. Thanks.

If you want to open i.e. a Word file then open Word in the start menu and then select: file, open and open the file you want.

That should work for most applications.

If it does not work than you have most likely a bigger problem like damaged or encrypted (virus) files.

After you tried above you can right click files and at the same time press the shift key. There should be a long list with options and one is "Open With". Try that.

For anything else I suggest you google: restore file associations 

or better contact a computer professional.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, khaepmu said:

WPS Office. 

windows 7, 8 xp, 10 what is it.... you should visit microsoft site they have easy solutions and helpers for something like that or you should check your files extensions to see which app is using what, depending on your windows version you need to access control panel and than default programs, than set your default programs click on it and you will see which programs are open with what WPS should be word program that can be in office (again depending on the version)  unless you provide more details can not help, good luck

What sort of file are you trying to open OP? What is the file extension of a typical file you can't open, ie, .pdf, .docx, .xls, .gif?

If the extension isn't visible, right click on the file and then properties.