.co.th domain registration for shop with different name from company

Can anyone offer help with the following:

Company ABC is opening an online shop, using the shop name XYZ. The company desires to register the URL www.XYZ.co.th.

The rules for registering a .co.th domain seem to require either the domain name matches the company name, or matches a trademark owned by the company.

Obviously in this case the domain name does not match the company name. We contacted the trademark office, and getting a trademark for our shop name / logo takes 1 to 1-1/2 years. It doesn't make sense to me that we'd have to wait a year or more before we can register the domain name.

Does anyone know of a different path we can take to register the domain name XYZ.co.th when our company is ABC?

Thanks.

Go for the .com version and bypass the issue.

If the.co.th is vital, proceed with.com whilst you sort out the paperwork.

It may be quicker to open/start  another company that matches the domain as a subsidiary to the main.

On 7/3/2019 at 12:31 PM, CharlieH said:

Go for the .com version and bypass the issue.

If the.co.th is vital, proceed with.com whilst you sort out the paperwork.

It may be quicker to open/start  another company that matches the domain as a subsidiary to the main.

Thanks. I already have the .com. That will be the primary URL. I want the .co.th to protect the brand. I will file trademark paperwork and proceed in that direction. Thanks for the input. 

The .co.th does not have to exactly match the registered company name, but there has to be at least one similar word in the registered company name.

For example, The Fruit and Vegetable Co., Ltd. could potentially have fruit.co.th or vegetable.co.th

You couldn't have durian.co.th or rice.co.th though.

If you really want the domain name consider changing the registered name of your company.

Archived