Phuket reveals safety measures to boost tourist confidence after Phoenix tragedy

snoop1130

Phuket reveals safety measures to boost tourist confidence after Phoenix tragedy

By Somchai Samart, The Nation.

800_a3f6e2e896e5a11.jpg

A day ahead of the first anniversary of the July 5, 2018 sinking of the double-decker Phoenix tour boat that left 47 Chinese tourists dead, the Marine Department on Thursday revealed safety measures implemented since the tragedy in a bid to prevent a recurrence.

Wiwat Chidcherdwong, chief of the Marine Office based in Phuket, said the measures covered three aspects:

The port/pier safety measure has designated 24 piers on Phuket Island to launch tourist boats. The department also allocated a budget to raise the number of personnel manning the piers from 15 to 35.

The boat safety measure involved thorough checks on all Phuket tour boats for safety and other equipment, physical condition and fitness to sail. 

The "people safety” measure provided training for boat operators and boat drivers to ensure they were skilled enough to handle any emergency.

Wiwat said the measures had been implemented continuously after the tragedy and during key festivals such as New Year and Songkran, when the number of tourists on the water increased. 

"We also presented the measures to embassies and consulates and received positive feedback. We believe they will help boost tourists' confidence in visiting Phuket," he added.

Wiwat said he would present information on the safety measures to General Prayut Chan-o-cha during the prime minister’s visit to Phuket on July 8.

Source: http://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372273

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-04
  • Haha 2

Well, if you want to inspire confidence, then maybe don't try to cynically auction off the death boat for cash in such a high profile way ... blimey. This boat should be as far away from the news as possible and really should have been quietly cut up and recycled by now.

Edited by Brigand
  • Like 1

Honestly you gotta lap this complete (deleted) up, we look every day at the carnage on the roads and here we have a news item declaring how safe Thailand is.....seriously

Oh it was only one boat ?, and how did the people that were on that boat get to be there ? on a (deleted) bus

about two years ago I started to record all the reported accidents - land, sea and air in a list on my computer - I gave up after one month

Thailand, what are you doing with the BT trillions you have earned from tourism over the last 30 years - that is what seriously annoys me, I know were the money goes - into deep pockets - the very people that want the Thai baht to be as high as possible, the people that don't give a **** about exports - tourism or the Thai economy

will we have another bus accident tomorrow ? - yes, because the greedy and corrupt are filling their pockets and don't want to spend money on things that matter

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 300sd said:

Great story. But what kind of training do these boat operators actually have? Most normal countries have licensing regulations! What are yours?

Boat safety checks....who does this and what qualification do they have? Marine surveyors or police? 

Tired of this bs.

I agree. I avoid "most" forms of public transport here in the Land of (No) Safety. Corruption is involved in the most unlikely of places, including licensing, certification and inspection. How do I know? Headlines.

• Like 1