Need Input from TV Brain Trust

Gonzo the Face

But surely the relaxation this week Gonzo enables you to do business as before?

And it maybe that Nancy (expat club, lanna care etc) will read your post and respond, regarding seniors. Seems a great idea to me and you are only a few minutes from McCormick Hospital I think, if your 'guests' had mediacl needs...

Just advertise your original guesthouse as air bnb.

Something tells me all the exisisting 1000 air bnbs dont have a hotel licence.

Anyway thats all been discussed before.

Another idea...in the space of three posts you have gone from seniors accomodation to care home.

I have seen a house recently refurbed, right until they finished I was convinced it was going to be the usual Japanese style all you can eat buffet, but only when it opened I see its a care home.

Ambulance turns up etc, maybe a fulltime nurse, care assistants and you are still cooking.

Perfect for you John, maybe?

Full time care and coining it in at the same time

1 hour ago, dexter62 said:

I would certainly be interested in such a service, if I knew where it was, what the terms were, etc. And presumably, you would make the whole TM30 circus a bit easier...?

I agree but is the accommodation "senior friendly?" - no stairs for example. But given all we've heard about persistent air pollution in CM, is that really the location you'd choose for seniors?

• Haha 1

Hi Gonzo,

Why not: I'd guess your best advertising site would be here, and staying in touch with the good folks at LannaCare (Khun Nancy, et. al.).

I'd guesstimate the following might be issues:

1. special facilities based on degrees of mobility/impairment: fall protection, bathroom safety, special meals, phone.internet service

2. liability (yours) in case of accident

3. danger of your having someone "parked there" whose needs require the equivalent of nursing ... where the parkers/parkee don;t provide, or don't have the financial resources to cover that

4, inevitable immigration issues

cheers, ~o:37;

p.s. "make the whole TM30 circus a bit easier...?" If you can do that, you could also heal the disabled, and blind, drive out demons, etc.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input gang.   Can anyone give me more input on this so relaxation?  Was it in the newspaper or where can I read more about it.  Just had someone come in specially to tell me about the relaxation for a year or two.  I do need and would like more information on that.   ..... and I wasn't thinking of setting up a full fledged nursing home, but rather a rental space for able bodied seniors.  A Nursing Home situation would most certainly open up a bigger can of worms, as some have itemized.  Thanks again gang for the info.

1.  From previous post by the OP he himself has stated that he has disabilities (which never seem to get him down) so I think he is well placed to understand and sympathise with the associated problems.
2.  My understanding is that TM30 registration on line is getting easier and may not be an issue especially as he already has a guest house.
3.  Many longer term residents would rather put up with the pollution than move.
4.  As suggested by others I think a quick PM to “Nancyl” could help.
5.  I think your idea has much to commend it and those of us who know you from either this site or from your Guest House hope it works out well.
6.  You are a well respected member of the CM community and I am sure there are many here who will help you out to the best of our ability.

• Like 2

Probably obvious but not mentioned yet.  Set up a Facebook page and perhaps a page on other similar sites.  Almost everytime I search a business I find their Facebook page listed.  Seems like the new yellow pages.  

Best of luck with it all Gonzo.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Thanks for all the input gang.   Can anyone give me more input on this so relaxation?  Was it in the newspaper or where can I read more about it.  Just had someone come in specially to tell me about the relaxation for a year or two.  I do need and would like more information on that.   ..... and I wasn't thinking of setting up a full fledged nursing home, but rather a rental space for able bodied seniors.  A Nursing Home situation would most certainly open up a bigger can of worms, as some have itemized.  Thanks again gang for the info.

I actually posted about this recently in another topic but can't find it just now.  It is only an amnesty for 2/3 years.  I will get beck by AM tomorrow if nobody else responds.  Don't hold your breath for all that much good info in your case!

40 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

1.  From previous post by the OP he himself has stated that he has disabilities (which never seem to get him down) so I think he is well placed to understand and sympathise with the associated problems.
2.  My understanding is that TM30 registration on line is getting easier and may not be an issue especially as he already has a guest house.
3.  Many longer term residents would rather put up with the pollution than move.
4.  As suggested by others I think a quick PM to “Nancyl” could help.
5.  I think your idea has much to commend it and those of us who know you from either this site or from your Guest House hope it works out well.
6.  You are a well respected member of the CM community and I am sure there are many here who will help you out to the best of our ability.

Thank you fore the more than kind words Scottiejohn.  Sorta gives one a warm funny feeling inside . Thank You

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Gonzo - my understanding is that there is a 2 year amnesty for those places without a hotel license. However you would need to register and complete fire safety details before September

see here:

https://f.datasrvr.com/fr1/819/87818/Amnesty_Opportunity_for_Hotel_Operators.pdf

Thanks for the link it is the one I was looking for to give to Gonzo.

Set up a Facebook page it’s free, Air BNB, Agoda Homes - most of the big hotel booking sites also offer private accommodations now. Also you do not qualify as a hotel or need a hotel license if you have up to 4 rooms. Not sure how many rooms you rent out but if you have more than 4 you could split your business and just for legal reasons use a different name for the rooms over 4 to 8 - if you have a Thai family it’s easy to do.
If any of the “digital Nomads” who should be experienced at this - read this - do something good for your karma and help out the man to get a digital presence to get some bookings!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Also claim your listing on TripAdvisor - I think you have not done that yet!
It is very important that you read the comments find out what people think is good and what’s not so good about your place and most of all respond ! Businesses that respond show potential customers that they read complaints and improve.
Recommendations on Tripadvisor is free world wide advertising!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If you were smart you'd sell the place, take the money and move to somewhere healthier. 

As someone getting up in age like yourself, not that healthy and who sticks around CM during the months of horrendous air pollution, do yourself and your family a favor and get out while you can. 

Also, you're not helping other seniors who likely have health problems by providing accommodations and advertising they stay long term in CM.  Bad advice and not something that should be recommended.

Of course, this post will be trounced on by those that are long term residents who think CM is an ideal place to live and the bad air for half the year is nothing to worry about.  All of you are in denial and many of you will pay the price for it.  Let's hear the comments.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

That has to be the most insensitive and crass posting I have ever had the misfortune of reading anywhere on any TV forum, and that says something!

What a joke.  The most insensitive and crass posting you've ever had the misfortune of reading?  Seriously, grow a pair and smell the reality of what it is. 

All I did was offer some sound advice to someone who should take it seriously.  Hey, just stay put where you're at and enjoy your time in lovely CM and I'll wait to see what you're posting in about about 6 months time when people are talking about how unbearable the pollution is.  Get real.

• Sad 2

"That has to be the most insensitive and crass posting I have ever had the misfortune of reading anywhere on any TV forum, and that says something!"

Why? 

I think his point is that turning the "guesthouse" into something resembling a minor care facility for elderly long-stay guests in Chiang Mai comes with a plethora of issues; many I myself can't even imagine (although I have only been here half the time Gonzo the Face has). 

I took the post to say that selling and "moving somewhere healthier" meant within Chiang Mai or Thailand, not leaving the Kingdom altogether. It's not a horrible suggestion if the situation has changed so much that you have to scramble just to keep the doors open. 

I don't know the details of a guesthouse vs a hotel (why not just change the name of the place to hotel? ???? ), but do you really want to shoulder a bunch of new regulations and requirements and have to change whatever it is that you have become comfortable with over the years? I mean if the paradigm of your guesthouse is no longer what it was, and perhaps no longer "fun," then I think that poster has a point. 

Anyway, that post didn't sound in the least bit crass or insensitive. Sounded like some suggestions to me. 

EDIT: This has nothing to do with pollution. It's about whether the dream is still alive and worth fostering. Even an E ticket ride comes to an end eventually...
Pollution is a red herring. It's beside the point. 

Edited by Trujillo

36 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

and I thought it was only me, and I was just going to ignore it// Its called the god syndrome   Where that person sees faults in all others but not himself. Where he is always right and all others with opinions that differ from his are wrong and inferior.  But those with differing opinions are truly able to acknowledge that all others are entitled to their individual opinions and truly respect them for having one . Now having said all that..... does that description , perchance remind you of any senior high level politician in Washington ???

Hey John, second thought stay where you're at.  Just don't try to entice others to come to a place that will likely destroy their health and shorten their lives and that of their families.

Maybe due to all the years you've lived in CM you're brain is no longer allowing you to think clearly but don't endanger others by offering them long term residence in a city they should avoid.  Attacking me is pretty pathetic as I'm just providing sound advice based on the facts and reality of what is real.  If you think the air pollution is not a problem in CM put that in writing to anyone you rent to.  If you can't then stop promoting your business.  Either way you lose.  End of story.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

John, if you want to see what you're up against, I suggest you go check out the Wellness Residence near Central Airport Plaza.  http://www.wellnessresidencechiangmai.com/  This is a very good example of what you have in mind.  A place where the rooms were built with seniors in mind, the staff is on-call to help if someone slips in the bathroom or needs help carrying groceries into their room, it's conveniently located within an easy walk to a mall with all the conveniences like banks, supermarket, cinema.  Not far from Immigration and run by a doctor at a nearby hospital.  Pool and small fitness center also.  

Heck, maybe you should sell your place and move in.  I think the major draw of your place would be having you to talk with and the food at your restaurant.  Wellness Residence doesn't have a restaurant, so maybe you could work out something with them to run one at their place while you live there rent-free. 

• Like 1

If you advertise as an aged care facility be careful as apart from licensing there are a number of conditions (medical staff etc) required by MoPH. I know of a facility raided by them recently.

"Heck, maybe you should sell your place and move in."

.....That has to be the most insensitive and crass posting I have ever had the misfortune of reading anywhere on any TV forum, and that says something!....

John, if you want to see what you're up against, I suggest you go check out the Wellness Residence near Central Airport Plaza.  http://www.wellnessresidencechiangmai.com/  This is a very good example of what you have in mind.  A place where the rooms were built with seniors in mind, the staff is on-call to help if someone slips in the bathroom or needs help carrying groceries into their room, it's conveniently located within an easy walk to a mall with all the conveniences like banks, supermarket, cinema.  Not far from Immigration and run by a doctor at a nearby hospital.  Pool and small fitness center also.    

Heck, maybe you should sell your place and move in.  I think the major draw of your place would be having you to talk with and the food at your restaurant.  Wellness Residence doesn't have a restaurant, so maybe you could work out something with them to run one at their place while you live there rent-free. 

Sorry but looking at this place it looks just like another overpriced condo disguised as a “senior residence” with a “health checkup option” (without prices on their website) a health check-up one can have at any Chiang Mai hospital.

Staff on call to help ? That’s great but if an old infirm person slips and falls in the bathroom she / he needs to get to the alarm call button first to push it - because I could not see any voice activated smart home appliances that could not only trigger an alarm but also place a call to get help included on their list of facilities.

Easy walk to a shopping center? There is no such thing as an easy walk for an old infirm person especially not in the city with the mayhem they call traffic.

Groceries can be ordered online and both big chains Lotus & Big C deliver to your doorstep.

So I wonder what justifies the amounts they are charging ?

Everybody seems to try to cash in on the aging population from all over the world.

I have watched a video from another one of these senior residences which are even more expensive - watching the on-site nurse taking the blood pressure - well I can do that myself without paying a small fortune because if you need real medical attention you or your insurance will have to pay for it anyway on top

of the exorbitant rent they are charging.

I do understand a person is infirm without anybody taking care of them they do not have much choice of course.

But as long as older people are still in good health it would be much more important to stay in a small community where they look out for each other in case there is a problem and help each other out - but still live their own independent life.

This is the kind of residence I would stay in when I am old but not somewhere where they obviously only want your money.

And I think John could easily turn his place into a little community at reasonable monthly rates where people live and have a great time together enjoying the autumn of their life without breaking the bank.

But that is of course just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app