Need Input from TV Brain Trust

Gonzo the Face

3 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Sorry but looking at this place it looks just like another overpriced condo disguised as a “senior residence” with a “health checkup option” (without prices on their website) a health check-up one can have at any Chiang Mai hospital.

Staff on call to help ? That’s great but if an old infirm person slips and falls in the bathroom she / he needs to get to the alarm call button first to push it - because I could not see any voice activated smart home appliances that could not only trigger an alarm but also place a call to get help included on their list of facilities.

Easy walk to a shopping center? There is no such thing as an easy walk for an old infirm person especially not in the city with the mayhem they call traffic.

Groceries can be ordered online and both big chains Lotus & Big C deliver to your doorstep.

So I wonder what justifies the amounts they are charging ?

Everybody seems to try to cash in on the aging population from all over the world.

I have watched a video from another one of these senior residences which are even more expensive - watching the on-site nurse taking the blood pressure - well I can do that myself without paying a small fortune because if you need real medical attention you or your insurance will have to pay for it anyway on top

of the exorbitant rent they are charging.

I do understand a person is infirm without anybody taking care of them they do not have much choice of course.

But as long as older people are still in good health it would be much more important to stay in a small community where they look out for each other in case there is a problem and help each other out - but still live their own independent life.

This is the kind of residence I would stay in when I am old but not somewhere where they obviously only want your money.

And I think John could easily turn his place into a little community at reasonable monthly rates where people live and have a great time together enjoying the autumn of their life without breaking the bank.

But that is of course just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I suggest you go tour Wellness Residence before you write a post like this and also John's place.  I don't mean to be unkind to him, but every month I'm asked by newcomers to Chiang Mai about places like this in Chiang Mai and I think most would find Wellness Residence more to their liking.

• Like 2

If your guests are staying for only one night, get them to sign a contract that charges your fee and divide by 30. That will be the going rate for 1 night and adjust it accordingly for the number of nights others want to stay. It's up to you how much you charge for 1 night, it's your guesthouse.

It's a simple way to get around the minimum 1 month stay. You charge eg; 900 a night, then do a contract for 30 days at 30 baht a night charge. ????

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

John, if you want to see what you're up against, I suggest you go check out the Wellness Residence near Central Airport Plaza.  http://www.wellnessresidencechiangmai.com/  This is a very good example of what you have in mind.  A place where the rooms were built with seniors in mind, the staff is on-call to help if someone slips in the bathroom or needs help carrying groceries into their room, it's conveniently located within an easy walk to a mall with all the conveniences like banks, supermarket, cinema.  Not far from Immigration and run by a doctor at a nearby hospital.  Pool and small fitness center also.  

Heck, maybe you should sell your place and move in.  I think the major draw of your place would be having you to talk with and the food at your restaurant.  Wellness Residence doesn't have a restaurant, so maybe you could work out something with them to run one at their place while you live there rent-free. 

Actually quite affordable for most seniors. 

6 hours ago, Trujillo said:

"Heck, maybe you should sell your place and move in."

.....That has to be the most insensitive and crass posting I have ever had the misfortune of reading anywhere on any TV forum, and that says something!....

If you wish to plagiarise my words  and those of others can I please ask that you use them in context, show the connection/proper quote  or better still  make your own point in your own words.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2