Luggage to be X-rayed at airports by year-end, used-car imports to be banned: Customs

webfact

17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Some years ago, well before 9/11, I was the CEO of a UK Regional International Airport, we were X Raying all bags, both hand and hold then. Dare I say that was 20 years ago.  This is not at all new, just Thailand catching up.  

They already scan every piece before they board it into the plane, every airport does that obviously as you don't want to have dangerous goods in the plane.

This is for people arriving i suppose. Else they would scan it twice now. 

I am not aware of any airport where they scan all arriving peoples luggage at exit.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got back from a trip to the USA the first part of June.  I only noticed two changes.

One going out....special little trays for your shoes to go in while going through security on your way to passport check.  And on return if you go through the nothing to declare lane they put your bags through x-ray on exit.  I had 3 bags a backpack and a carry on.  They only scanned one of my bags and waved me through.  Not sure why.  They were checking everyone else.  I flew in on Cathay, so lots of people arriving from Hong Kong.

4 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

They already scan every piece before they board it into the plane, every airport does that obviously as you don't want to have dangerous goods in the plane.

I am not aware of any airport where they scan all arriving peoples luggage at exit.

Kuching Sarawak seem to x-ray the majority of arrivals, each time I have been there, but they have nothing like to arrivals at Swampy or DMK

4 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Kuching Sarawak seem to x-ray the majority of arrivals, each time I have been there, but they have nothing like to arrivals at Swampy or DMK

yes and I started a topic on this "how many watches can I bring in" and everybody assured me "no problem you will walk right through" NOT.

this is the first time i saw the scanner in operation and everybody got checked. I had a 10,000 Mega Big Boy condoms with me. 

I was sweating bullets.

I presume the condoms were all for personal use?

Sent from my SM-J415F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

Ah ban imported car parts to solve the pollution problem, why didn’t they think of that before ...! You couldn’t make up this junk !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I seem to remember reading on Thaivisa a few years back, that Thailand had banned the import of second hand vehicles and parts.

If memory serves me correctly, this is the norm about couple of years ago where they had those machines in front of the check in counters and then they were gone, so now they're making a comeback together with the dead and forgotten and now resurrected the dredded TM30, what next i wonder? body's cavities searches on the in and out?...

Yes, at Phuket airport (domestic terminal); two X-ray security checks within 100 yards! - Security check, check-in counter, then 60 yards to the next security check (identical to the first one). And all that for a flight from Phuket to Bangkok!  Sent from my SM-J415F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Not sure if they do at Incheon, I was on a transit flight through there and at least that time they did scan it all.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

It was hellish the other day. 30 minutes to clear immigration and then another 20 at Customs as they X-rayed all the bags.

All those freedoms we enjoyed in Thailand in the 90's and 00's slowly disappearing. 

Not knocking them just lamenting as it was so much better before.

The more it becomes like back 'home' the more I dislike the place.

Sorry if it annoys the guys who just rocked up a couple years' ago. 

That's not too bad. BEFORE the fingerprint nonsense, I queued at immigration for over an hour several times. You must have arrived very early or very late to be out in 50!

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Because it's all rubbish, just look how changi in singapore does it, super efficient...the stuff gets xrayed when u check in anyway??? why double xray...

Looking for stuff they can apply duty too I expect......can't be security because the plane has landed.

when I do go back to the UK for a short visit, I tend to buy new T Shirts and shorts there, much better quality.  I must remember to take off all the labels before I come back, just in case it gets picked up.  

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

Aside from the story, I am so privileged as I cannot participate in the complaints of long delays in immigration and security checks. I dont travel business or have any extra elite card or like.

Interested to know any Aussies particularly travelling from Perth have similar experiences, just about always on Thai Airways and have had no reason to complain when arriving in Swampy or Phuket. So many complaints from other travellers on this forum.

I am from Perth too. We are lucky that we arrive at about 3.30 which is a quiet time of the day. Never had any big problems with immigration in about 40 visits. Another bonus is there is a connecting flight to Chiang Mai at 5.20 so that is very convenient. Also coming home on the 7.20 flight is a good time too.

1 hour ago, 30la said:

??? Air pollution? Why don't you persecute all the criminals who burn waste, fields and forests? The success would certainly be greater.
And then the factories that infest the air throughout the country without limits?

Because the ban has absolutely nothing to do with air pollution.  Instead, it's simply smoke and mirrors.  The real reason is to stifle competition.  This is business as usual for Thailand's deeply ingrained government run monopoly distribution system that has a strangle hold on every category of imports, and always has.  T.I.T.

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Odessa Ukraine! And make you count all of your money in front of the customs agent after you fill out the form stating where you will be staying with the money you just counted out!

4 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

Odessa Ukraine! And make you count all of your money in front of the customs agent after you fill out the form stating where you will be staying with the money you just counted out!

That sounds horrible. I never went anywhere close to the ukraine, it's prolly a warzone thing then.

Thailand is also at war with logic, tourism and itself.

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

yes and I started a topic on this "how many watches can I bring in" and everybody assured me "no problem you will walk right through" NOT.

this is the first time i saw the scanner in operation and everybody got checked. I had a 10,000 Mega Big Boy condoms with me. 

I was sweating bullets.

So basically, you're a crook supplying.those.creepy old.brits in pattaya?

2 hours ago, 30la said:

??? Air pollution? Why don't you persecute all the criminals who burn waste, fields and forests? The success would certainly be greater.
And then the factories that infest the air throughout the country without limits?

Why would you only prosecute (or persecute if you prefer) criminals who burn waste,fields and forests and not others who have yet to be convicted of a criminal offence who burn waste,fields and forests? 

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

It is slowly becoming a rather unpleasant place to live. 

Detecting illegal items such as narcotics or goods being smuggled in to avoid paying taxes would make life unpleasant only to drug carriers and smugglers, wouldn't it? Why would a normal law abiding person be worried?

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

when I do go back to the UK for a short visit, I tend to buy new T Shirts and shorts there, much better quality.  I must remember to take off all the labels before I come back, just in case it gets picked up.  

Be sure to throw a pair of soiled underpants in with them, otherwise they will smell new.

Archived