Luggage to be X-rayed at airports by year-end, used-car imports to be banned: Customs

webfact

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

yes and I started a topic on this "how many watches can I bring in" and everybody assured me "no problem you will walk right through" NOT.

this is the first time i saw the scanner in operation and everybody got checked. I had a 10,000 Mega Big Boy condoms with me. 

I was sweating bullets.

Don't worry, I am sure I am sure that they will allow a one month supply so you would be just fine at your current burn/usage rate.  :thumbsup:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"In a separate measure, Krissada said Thai authorities will ban the import of second-hand cars from other countries into Thailand in a bid to reduce air pollution and to plug the loophole in which some people avoid paying proper taxes when bringing in luxury cars."

BS. It's to protect the new car industry in Thailand. Second-hand cars from Japan, which are only two years old, would be competing with the new car dealerships.

Smarter countries such as New Zealand tell the rent-seekers to piss off.

16 hours ago, 30la said:

??? Air pollution? Why don't you persecute all the criminals who burn waste, fields and forests? The success would certainly be greater.
And then the factories that infest the air throughout the country without limits?

Removing 90% of the diesel chugging pick-ups would also be a good start.

17 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

They already scan every piece before they board it into the plane, every airport does that obviously as you don't want to have dangerous goods in the plane.

This is for people arriving i suppose. Else they would scan it twice now. 

I am not aware of any airport where they scan all arriving peoples luggage at exit.

Pyongyang does. But then they are not too worried about the likes of booze and smokes as they assume they will be distributed as gifts to guides and soldiers.

18 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

They already scan every piece before they board it into the plane, every airport does that obviously as you don't want to have dangerous goods in the plane.

I am not aware of any airport where they scan all arriving peoples luggage at exit.

Phuket International Airport xrays all  checked luggage as you exit the arrivals hall. 

Have done so for years.

This is where they pick up on contraventions of wine/liquor , vape rules etc..

13 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Meat products may be a big problem.  Last week on a QANTAS flight from Oz they specifically warned passengers about pork products for obvious reasons. 

Why were they afraid of offending Muslims ????

21 hours ago, scotinsiam said:

No doubt this will add more delays to the wonderful airport experience, I am currently in the lounge in Swampy having endured the immigration exit process at passport control - I was 45 minutes in a crowd of Asians who were behaving like children - shouting, jumping queues and eventually the immigration stopped fingerprints being taken - it was a <deleted> joke. One prick asked to get in front of me when I was almost at the front of the line - "I think my flight left already" he said I told him no point in rushing then - asshat.

I hope I am fully done with this place in the coming few months, I have enjoyed living here but I don't  want to live on a military base anymore.

Bye

16 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

The Customs Department will get conveyor belt X-ray machines up and running by the end of this year, enabling it to scan all luggage in search of illegal items and brand-name items smuggled in to avoid paying taxes and to resell.

Their next move is insane, now it's really going to hurt a lot. Who decides what a copy is and what not? Soldiers?

The joke is that no buyer all around the world can be sure to have a genuine product of anything/. Including shop owners!!!

Wasn't it enough with all the other things? Thank you very much. 

P.S. I forgot to thank you for the wasted time, as well. 

Well you can't bring in stuff thats value over 10-20,000 baht. So most name brand item will cost over that. Its either a copy or you pay the taxes. Folks bringing in name brand items to resell is big business here. That is why if you ever notice, most 2nd hand name brand shops actually bring out all of their stock on weekends and days when custom officials are not working! lol

15 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

If everyone would just take a second and breathe, it is quite obvious.  I think a lot of people failed their comprehension GCSEs. There will be NO extra time to scan everyone at the exits.  There are two exits.  You think they will have 23 scanning machines there?  Where would they put them all?  There are 23 baggage carousels.  It is entirely obvious that the luggage will be scanned on the conveyor up to the carousels.  23 carousels, 23 scanners.  It is not rocket science.  You won't even know it is happening.  

Some folks just want to bash for the sake of bashing. South Korea scans all baggage prior to being place on the belt, and they will tag your bag with a electronic tag telling you to proceed to customs to have your bag checked if they suspect it containing something suspicious.

My friend brought a fruit in his suitcase on the way to Seoul, they tagged his bag on arrival at Seoul airport. He had to take out the fruit and throw it away, they gave him a warning and recorded his passport.

19 hours ago, ravip said:

Detecting illegal items such as narcotics or goods being smuggled in to avoid paying taxes would make life unpleasant only to drug carriers and smugglers, wouldn't it? Why would a normal law abiding person be worried?

Because if you travel with electronics, even those purchased in Thailand, they can tax you on it. There was even an import chart I saw on TVF about four years ago from Thai customs giving the tax on anything and everything brought into the country, including underwear. 

If you care to look at True Visions you will see three programs about airports. Heathrow, Madrid and a Colombian (i think) airport. Every piece of luggage before being put on the carousel is x rayed. London evens subjects all arriving luggage to a sniffer dog as well. How do you think they catch the ciggie smugglers? Guess work?

24 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Because if you travel with electronics, even those purchased in Thailand, they can tax you on it. There was even an import chart I saw on TVF about four years ago from Thai customs giving the tax on anything and everything brought into the country, including underwear. 

I doubt tax would be due on items already used for personal ?

I have carried my electronics devices  out of and into Thailand several times in my  hand luggage as I am sure millions of others have also, without any problems.

Never been taxed on my underwear, they try that I leave them there for their use ???? 

30 minutes ago, zydeco said:
  •  
  • Members
  • 315 posts

If you care to look at True Visions you will see three programs about airports. Heathrow, Madrid and a Colombian (i think) airport. Every piece of luggage before being put on the carousel is x rayed. London evens subjects all arriving luggage to a sniffer dog as well. How do you think they catch the ciggie smugglers? Guess work?

Australia uses sniffer dogs across luggage both  international and domestic before it hits the carousels, sniffer dogs also in the arrivals halls.

In my local airport, (Chinese) the arrivals procedure is immigration, baggage hall, passport scan, luggage X-Ray and out.

The X Ray machines are knee high and have ramps to drag your bags up. The belt moves at walking speed and the whole thing adds maybe 20 seconds to your journey.

On check in, you dont get your boarding card until your hold luggage is scanned. The usual sin is cigarette lighters. For some reason the Chinese Aviation Authority is paranoid about taking lighters on an aeroplane. Still doesn't slow the passenger down much.

21 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Hand luggage, yes sure. hang luggage get's also xray in transit often and of course before you board. This is about check in luggage, which normally gets xrayed when you check in with the airline and then only occassionally when you exit and they think you hide something.

The article  suggests that they want to scan everyones check in luggage when exiting the airport. Which will just result in beeing even more slow - and thats the only reason why it bothers me.

Odd statement as even carry on is with you upon exit. They will X-ray all bags. 

I’m bringing my 30 year old Spalding golf clubs and bag in December when I go and come back. Golf clubs haven’t changed much and they look good. I would hope they don’t try to charge me on those. Anyone have experience on bringing in a full set of clubs?

51 minutes ago, the guest said:

Don't bring in food either (especially meat and dairy products). Importing goods without declaring them will land you in trouble. 

Same in most countries. Confiscated and possibly a fine 

16 hours ago, zydeco said:

My wife bought me some handwoven Thai Pha-Kao-Ma  loincloths.  Can I bring them back in country duty-free if I don't wear undies?

image.png.7950baf087823ac20c803b89f316893e.png

21 hours ago, myjawe said:

Xray on arrival or departure ?

First paragraph of the OP says :

. . . . . in search of illegal items and brand-name items smuggled in . . . . .

That strongly suggests it's on arrival to me.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:19 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

Some American airports do.

4 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Some American airports do.

Many other airports world wide. You just often don,t see it as happens as going onto carousels, some times after carousel in places like Kuching 

On 7/6/2019 at 1:03 PM, zydeco said:

Did it ever happen to you even once? And for what type of item?

I have been taking in and out of Thailand electronics and underwear (for personal use only) for years, without any tax been paid. Please, do not take everything on the internet as the gospel truth because there are many lunatics waltzing around the cyber space...

Archived