Hotel/resort Work?

I was wondering if anyone has any info or experience working in the Hotel industry in Thailand. I have worked in hotels for several years and want to move back to thailand. I was here a couple years ago teaching english in a private school.

I'm wondering if there is a market at all for falangs in thai hotels, either in a management capacity or as a english language trainer.

Any info would be appreciated

Plenty of opportunities for farang in this industry. After teaching and owning *ahem* bars it's probably the biggest employer of foreigners in Thailand.

Most would be senior roles though. I know the Food and Bev Director of a big five star hotel in Bangkok and he's had similar roles in other places in Thailand.

Not a huge payer though, and he works all ours of the day.

As the previous poster said, numerous ads in Bkk Post almost daily.

I was wondering if anyone has any info or experience working in the Hotel industry in Thailand. I have worked in hotels for several years and want to move back to thailand. I was here a couple years ago teaching english in a private school.

I'm wondering if there is a market at all for falangs in thai hotels, either in a management capacity or as a english language trainer.

The Thai owned hotels are run and managed exclusivley by Thais. the large international chains are managed by highly qualifed leisure managment proffesionals. If you fall into that category contact the large organisations directly.

The Thai owned hotels are run and managed exclusivley by Thais. the large international chains are managed by highly qualifed leisure managment proffesionals. If you fall into that category contact the large organisations directly.

Where do you get your information? Thai owned hotels are not all run by locals. Dusit group is the easiest example of this.... BTW, most 5 star hotels are % Thai owned. I can tell you from experience that if you are any good at your job, you are already working long hours.

If you are a five star hotel professional, chances are rare that you will find a job in bangkokpost. Better to go through headhunters, PM if you need a list, but they won't help you unless your CV has a possiblity of getting you hired (so they get their fee).

Good pay, hard work, good benifits...

Best bet is this ...

Get a good position in a large chain in Europe/US etc. and stick with it !

Be (very) good at your job.

Apply for a transfer overseas after an appropriate time (not six months).

BTW same applies for any Expat position if you want a really good (paying) position.

Nobody gets a seriously good Expat job unless they have connections/history/respect of their peers in their industry/trade.

And all of the above takes time ! Sorry, but there's just no fast track solution

(Unless you've just come out of Cambridge/Yale with a law degree) :o

Naka.

It took me about one year to get a job in Asia (Bangkok). I have fifteen years experience, have worked in 5 different 5 star hotels on three different continents.

If you need honest advice on the industy in Thailand, let me know, I can advise.

Not good/bad, as like every country (currently #4) just different strokes for different folks.

<br />It took me about one year to get a job in Asia (Bangkok). I have fifteen years experience, have worked in 5 different 5 star hotels on three different continents. <br /><br />If you need honest advice on the industy in Thailand, let me know, I can advise.<br /><br />Not good/bad, as like every country (currently #4) just different strokes for different folks.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thats great, thanks a lot!

If you are a five star hotel professional, chances are rare that you will find a job in bangkokpost. Better to go through headhunters, PM if you need a list, but they won't help you unless your CV has a possiblity of getting you hired (so they get their fee).

Good pay, hard work, good benifits...

Just this week, the Amari in Pattaya is running ads in Bkk Post for several senior positions including Food & Bev Director, Sales and Marketing Director etc, so jobs do get posted in Bkk Post.

Amari is a four star hotel and yes they do post ads. However, they tend to be more locally managed, and then you have more 'Thai-centric' management style.

The five star hotels (Oriental, Peninsula....etc) don't hire from Bangkok as hey are not looking for someone from Holiday Inn on Silom. The better the quality of the hotel, the higher the quality and cleintelle.

If you are looking for 'any' job then just spend one day dropping your resume off at each one, as it is not hard. Also, they would love to hire you, as you don't need a flight/moving expenses, cutting their costs...

Amari is a four star hotel and yes they do post ads. However, they tend to be more locally managed, and then you have more 'Thai-centric' management style.

The five star hotels (Oriental, Peninsula....etc) don't hire from Bangkok as hey are not looking for someone from Holiday Inn on Silom. The better the quality of the hotel, the higher the quality and cleintelle.

If you are looking for 'any' job then just spend one day dropping your resume off at each one, as it is not hard. Also, they would love to hire you, as you don't need a flight/moving expenses, cutting their costs...

Well, i dont want to get into a debate about it cos presumably you work in the industry. But, for the record, both the GM and the Food and Bev Director of Amari Watergate are farang and neither are on local salaries.

Well, i dont want to get into a debate about it cos presumably you work in the industry. But, for the record, both the GM and the Food and Bev Director of Amari Watergate are farang and neither are on local salaries.

There is no debate needed. I believe you. I do work in the industry at a hotel, and when I say, 'Thai-centric' management, I should have clarified, I meant, direct owner involvement. Farangs tend to have a Western attitude regarding spending, life expectancy of equipment, efficiency.... Local owners/management tend to focus on making money, running it until the wheels fall off, then a little more, then renovate. Ie. the carpet is only as dirty as you see. If it is too dirty, move the bed...