Two women nabbed in vehicle-buying scam

Two women nabbed in vehicle-buying scam

n1.jpg

Police announced on Friday that two women were arrested for allegedly talking nearly 100 people into handing over their vehicles and swindling them out of more than Bt30 million.

Immigration Bureau’s acting chief Pol Lt-General Sompong Chingduang identified the suspects as Pawarisa “Pattanan” Nakrod and Chomphunut Pongsathornpipat.

Chanthaburi immigration police officers helped with the arrest of Chomphunut, 32, after learning about the arrest warrant that was issued by Samut Sakhon Provincial Court on June 25. 

Pawarisa, meanwhile, was nabbed in Chumphon province.

Sompong said the two women allegedly contacted people advertising the sale of cars they had bought on instalment schemes, offered to take over the payments and then disappeared with the vehicles

without making any payments. The vehicle owners then found themselves without a vehicle and owing loans. 

“Investigations suggest that the suspects took orders from an investor based in Kanchanaburi province and that they were paid between Bt3,000 and Bt10,000 per vehicle,” Sompong said. 

He added that these stolen vehicles were either sold in Thailand or neighbouring countries, or may also have been disassembled and sold as parts. 

Sompong added that Chomphunut and Pawarisa were also wanted for many other alleged offences.

Source: http://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372386

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-05
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Is it legal in Thailand to sell a car that has outstanding debt?

Story does not make sense, Yes you can sell the car which is under finance if buyer is approved by the bank to take over finance. 

So how did they take cars  to keep on paying? Also no doubt they had to pay some ash upfront, unless they were running some kind of pawn a car scheme, but then again they would have had to front some money to the owner

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I should think not, since it's not yours to sell and the bank/finance company has an interest.

the check you have is the tax book - held by the finance company /bank - - but TIT, probably a way around that. 

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:

They do, it's called a address book as well as an ID card. 

There is no such a thing as address book, unless you referring to Tabian Baan, but all that shows is address where they are registered, not the actual address where they live, just as ID card usually has an address of their parents, not the current address.

10 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Maybe Thais should have to have a Residence Certificate, like we foreigners have to when buying or selling. 

They do, their Thai ID Card, can't even buy a sim card without it. 

You can get one too, it will be pink in colour, but will replace the need for a Residence Certificate when buying things. ????

Edited by Happy Grumpy

girl i know just took over payments of her friends scooter, as the usual scenario here, buy something, then find they cannot pay the installments, not sure how it pans out when she has finished paying for it, i bet she hasnt either. as her mate has vanished

On 7/5/2019 at 3:40 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The vehicle owners then found themselves without a vehicle and owing loans.

My nurse S-i-L rented out her car to a Thai woman who disappeared with it. A year later, family members made a citizen's arrest when they saw the miscreant on the street.  I drove her and a cop to Jomtien police station.  The fat officer refused to get his bottom into gear without a 10 grand inducement. The nurse had to continue paying the bank loan for three more years with no car to show for it at the end.

The female miscreant had done it with two other cars which were recovered.