Opposition MPs push for Prayut's disqualification as Cabinet member

snoop1130

Opposition MPs push for Prayut's disqualification as Cabinet member

By The Nation

800_23b74eba015c756.jpg

Chuan Leekpai, in his capacity as House of Representatives speaker, on Friday forwarded a petition to Constitutional Court calling for the disqualification of PM General Prayut Chan-o-cha as Cabinet member.

The petition, signed by 101 MPs, was handed to Chuan by opposition Pheu Thai Party member Chonlanan Srikieo. 

The petition points out that Prayut does not qualify as Cabinet member according to the charter as he is already a state official. Prayut is apparently being considered for the post of defence minister as the incumbent, Prawit Wongsuwan, has voiced plans to step down due to failing health. 

Meanwhile, the Election Commission (EC) said it had received a similar petition earlier against Prayut taking over as PM, but chose not to forward it to the Constitutional Court, saying it had already approved the nomination by Phalang Pracharat Party and that his status was valid according to the charter and related laws. 

However, the opposition MPs said the EC’s verdict was unclear and wanted this matter to also be forwarded to the Constitutional Court for further consideration.

Source: http://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372410

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-05

prayuth will give this post to anybody from PPP or the coalition, thus making them more happy and making coalition stronger.

the more positions he holds the less time for each to care for.

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I second the motion!

What motion do you second? It could be the OP or it could be the post by Bluespunk (Oh for goodness sake...grow up). Without a quote, it is difficult to tell what motion you "second".

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

What government actions? They haven’t been officially formed yet and they still hold 44. If ever there was a time to scrutinize qualifications, it’s now. 

I’d focus on actions such as the recent assault on the opposition activist. 

But support p*****g into the wind if you wish...

1 hour ago, sjaak327 said:

If it is unconstitutional I see no reason why they cannot complain. Luckily there is an opposition now, and they will justifiably oppose him in any way they can. No more article 44, no more rubber stamp NLA. I give him two months. 

Of course let's not forget how the valid complaint about the appointment of senators went, the MP's who are all elected, apparently have no right to even question the fact that the PM appointed all 250 senators virtually single handedly. Democracy my ass. 

I disagree on what matters and this complaint about prayut is farcical. 

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I disagree on what matters and this complaint about prayut is farcical. 

? So you think Prayuth is allowed to violate the constitution ? I think you've been in Thailand too long, I understand, the disregard shown for the constitution, coup after coup might make one not care anymore, but in the grand scheme of things, it does actually matter. He could always stage another coup of course.....

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

? So you think Prayuth is allowed to violate the constitution ? I think you've been in Thailand too long, I understand, the disregard shown for the constitution, coup after coup might make one not care anymore, but in the grand scheme of things, it does actually matter. He could always stage another coup of course.....

I don’t care how many roles prayut has, true. 

Focus on his govts policy decisions and actions. 

Also, how long I have been in Thailand has absolutely nothing to do with this. 

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, sjaak327 said:

But... the constitution (they themselves created) is very strict on who can be in what position. The opposition is merely taking them to the task. 

But this is Thailand, where one party nominates a member of the royal family and get abolished, and another party nominates a dictator and criminal and get away with it. Bad guys versus good guys or more of that nonsense. 

I think we’ve established how I feel about this non event. 

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Again, how can we focus on their actions when they’re not officially in power? They have 44. 

Now is the time to be focusing on and scrutinizing their picks. 

Won’t make any difference and won’t work. Focus on scrutinising their policies and splitting the fractious coalition they have built. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Won’t make any difference and won’t work. Focus on scrutinising their policies and splitting the fractious coalition they have built. 

They don't need to do that, they will do that all by themselves, two months tops. Actually I am still not convinced they actually will start. 

I agree it won't work, Prayuth has the constitutional court in his back pocket. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Right, so why focus on the activist who was beaten? 

And scrutinizing Prayut’s qualifications IS trying to split their ‘fractious coalition’.