Retirement Visa Changes & Rate of Exchange leaves many expats in a quandary

1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

Hygiene is generally good except places like Pattaya but they're cooking mostly for falong tourists. Go to places you see regular Thais ( business people etc) eating.  

I guess you've never been to Pattaya.  A variety of great French/Continental and steak restaurants available.  Too bad you let others decide for you what is good and what is not.  Do you do that in many areas of your life?  

arn.jpg

44 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I guess you've never been to Pattaya.  A variety of great French/Continental and steak restaurants available.  Too bad you let others decide for you what is good and what is not.  Do you do that in many areas of your life?  

arn.jpg

Suggest you look Arno's restaurant on line not many comments but they are ALL BAD. From bad food to rubbish service. Next time can you come up with something worth reading about.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Suggest you look Arno's restaurant on line not many comments but they are ALL BAD. From bad food to rubbish service. Next time can you come up with something worth reading about.

Don't need to look at comments I ate there.  Suggest you try it.  Also a number of threads on Thai Visa about it.  Did you look at the meat case?  Have you ever been to Terminal 21?

Edited by marcusarelus

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Hell no, too scared of getting mugged or stabbed. London just isn't English anymore.

Night out in Pattaya soon, whoopee....

Neither is up north some towns are no go places that you just cant get in if your white. Suggest you read some news on where the stabbing are. As a lot are in Midlands, Manchester, Liverpool, as well as London.

Plenty of mugging in Patts as well. Have a good time on your night out just take care.

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Don't need to look at comments I ate there.  Suggest you try it.  Also a number of threads on Thai Visa about it.  Did you look at the meat case?  Have you ever been to Terminal 21?

I haven't been to Pattaya since well before 21 opened. Only then for 2 days to see some friends that were on holiday. Try to stay well out of the place.

Just because one person said something is good I tend to believe the majority.

Hope you find it enjoyable next time you go.

7 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I haven't been to Pattaya since well before 21 opened. Only then for 2 days to see some friends that were on holiday. Try to stay well out of the place.

Just because one person said something is good I tend to believe the majority.

Hope you find it enjoyable next time you go.

I commented on another poster who said food hygiene in Pattaya was bad.  I've not read anywhere that Arnos was dirty or unclean have you?  How many reviews did you read?  2 or 3?  So what do we have?  My comment was that food hygiene in Pattaya was good as demonstrated by Arnos and you have nothing to contribute to that subject do you?  It's OK just admit you were wrong and get on with your life.  

2 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

Sounds like my family. My wife will cook western food sometimes. She even made pizza last night, but wouldn't eat any because it had meat on it. We lived in the US for 35 years and she can cook anything but usually cooks Thai. 

I think Thai girls (older generation) are great cooks and learn from a young age by helping there mothers. There don't like following a recipe all the time. It more like painting a picture and is an art.

Been married 44 years, but knew my wife 5 years before her father said OK to marry. 

I owned restaurants in the UK so can cook very well. I have never shown wife how to cook UK food as she will never be able to do it the same as me.

But must say her Thai stuff is first class. That's if she leaves some of the 24 thousand birds eye Chillies out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Looks good but if that's what I wanted I would have stayed in California. Enjoy yourself.

BTW do they serve Thai food?

Pattaya is an international city and yes they serve Thai food close to Arnos.  But as I recall you wrote, "Hygiene is generally good except places like Pattaya but they're cooking mostly for falong tourists."  Now just admit you lied and we can all get along with the truth and go about our business.  

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

I commented on another poster who said food hygiene in Pattaya was bad.  I've not read anywhere that Arnos was dirty or unclean have you?  How many reviews did you read?  2 or 3?  So what do we have?  My comment was that food hygiene in Pattaya was good as demonstrated by Arnos and you have nothing to contribute to that subject do you?  It's OK just admit you were wrong and get on with your life.  

I will reiterate. I used to live in Pattaya for some 7 years. And I used to get food poisoning at least twice a month. (So did my Thai wife)

We eventually moved out and have lived where we are now for over 13 years and have NEVER had any problem with food even at road side stalls.

Must tell you something.

The only thing on the internet about Arno's place was bad food cooking wise (raw uncooked burgers). And bad service. You picked the place said it was good, it could be who knows. I'm not there so cant comment personally.

7 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

My apologies. My comment on food hygiene in no respect refers to Arnos. A previous poster complained about food poisoning in Pattaya so I mentioned it. My error because I don't know. It was meant that places that cater to tourists might not have the same interest in hygiene as Thai restaurants. Most Thai restaurants rely on repeat business and referrals. Therefore food safety is very important. In many Thai restaurants you can see them cooking which is really good. Also food is mostly cooked to order. I don't like salt or MSG and they cook without. 

That poster was me see my above post.

Edited by fredob43

I just got my new retirement extension last week - it took 12 minutes 800k method - same as I have done since I put my $16k in the bank 15 years ago.  No problems opening bank accounts or getting food poisoning in Pattaya - fav restaurant Ootaya.  I just bought a new dining room table and new mobile phone and took the dog for a walk in my nice quiet neighborhood.  I cooked Mexican tonight with pinto beans I bought from Lazada and American beef I bought from Tops and salsa from Lotus.  I bought a decent wine aged in two barrels from Australia for under 1000 baht.  I've not been bothered by exchange rates and there have been no visa changes that have effected me.  I'll go back to Immigration again in 12 months (driver does my 90 day reports) and I'll let you know if anything has changed.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dode57k said:

I am in the unfortunate position (financially) of having to work in the UK for a few more years and suffer the declining pound to Baht exchange rate. You're right..a nasty, high taxed, increasingly xenophobic, cold, wet, grey country. I'm so looking forward to my last ever flight out of here.

You are making a huge assumption Thailand won't go further downhill in the next few years. 

I don't see this coalition gov't lasting long, all hell will break loose and who knows that the future holds?

On 7/6/2019 at 12:45 PM, Mitkof Island said:

AGAIN nothing has really changed. Its mostly made up drama over a lot of nothing. Put 800,000 in a Thai bank account and leave it there. End of problems.

and if he doesn't have the money how can he leave it there, each individual has different problems, read his message and you feel he's stressing out, after 20 years of doing the same over and over all of a sudden these changes come up, some deal with it well others not so well

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

fav restaurant Ootaya

Seconded, great restaurant ????, have only used the Bangkok branches though.

The OP has nearly the required amount of income, and only needs to deposit the difference in a Thai Bank and previously it would be fine, without importing it all.

Importing 800000Baht at 38.11 would perhaps not be a wise move, especially if there is no stability, another change happens, and they need the Money elsewhere.

I get the feeling it is a love ❤  Thailand but not at any price!

Edited by UKresonant

On 7/6/2019 at 3:45 PM, Mitkof Island said:

AGAIN nothing has really changed. Its mostly made up drama over a lot of nothing. Put 800,000 in a Thai bank account and leave it there.

And lose access to 400k of it, until you leave Thailand, or die.

Sound's like a significant change to me. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

and if he doesn't have the money how can he leave it there, each individual has different problems, read his message and you feel he's stressing out, after 20 years of doing the same over and over all of a sudden these changes come up, some deal with it well others not so well

Then go back to your home country and stay there on welfare, or whatever..

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, wilailuk said:

Then go back to your home country and stay there on welfare, or whatever..

UK won't be giving him any welfare if he has about 20k GBP in income, will they!

13 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You are making a huge assumption Thailand won't go further downhill in the next few years. 

I don't see this coalition gov't lasting long, all hell will break loose and who knows that the future holds?

Have heard that every day till the major change happened and when it happened - nothing.  Had parades and ceremonies and then people got on with their lives. 

Same after every coup I've been here for.  It was worse back when the Vietnamese and Khmer were throwing explosives at Thai people but not really that bad.   

I think if you look at the casualty stats and compare with neighboring countries during WWII you can see how well the country copes with real emergencies.  

That's why the currency is becoming a safe haven currency.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

And lose access to 400k of it, until you leave Thailand, or die.

Sound's like a significant change to me. 

You don't have $12k in your bank account back wherever you are from?  Not very much money now is it?  My money has done better in Thai banks since I moved it in 2005 and I've just left it there - the same as I would have in America.  The difference is my 800k cost me $16k when I put it in.  Now how much?  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You don't have $12k in your bank account back wherever you are from?  Not very much money now is it?  My money has done better in Thai banks since I moved it in 2005 and I've just left it there - the same as I would have in America.  The difference is my 800k cost me $16k when I put it in.  Now how much?  

I do but don’t wish to give it away thanks

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

You did well on your investment, plus you missed the crash in 2008 in US. Good for you!

I sold my US house before the market crashed.  I was doing it because of a hurricane scare (4 hit my town in 1 year) but it turned out to be a sound financial decision.  

14 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Why would you or I give it away?  I have my money in a Thai bank and draw out the interest every year - that's not giving it away.  Same as I have always done in America.  

I get your point no money - no money in bank.  But for those of us who save in banks no difference.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why would you or I give it away?  I have my money in a Thai bank and draw out the interest every year - that's not giving it away.  Same as I have always done in America.  

I get your point no money - no money in bank.  But for those of us who save in banks no difference.

Money in bank in home country ,I wont give money to Thai bank I can never use. That,s giving it away no matter how you spin it.And my point was not no money!! Read the words!

30 minutes ago, Olmate said:

14 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Marcus,

I don't think he has it, so transferring either monthly or lump some doesn't work. If he does have it, I feel sorry for him. He lives here but doesn't trust the Bank or government, or who else. 

Fred, is Marky your besty? 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Not familiar with the term besty. Is it UK slang or did you make it up? Too bad your not as clever with your money.

Best not to get personal but you are really pretty shallow with such comments.Topic is quandary related, stick to that and leave the personal attacking to the experts

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Money in bank in home country ,I wont give money to Thai bank I can never use. That,s giving it away no matter how you spin it.And my point was not no money!! Read the words!

I have money in both Thai and American banks.  I've done better with the Thai banks and spent more more from my Thai bank accounts.  I live in Thailand.  Where do you live?  

• Like 1