Retirement Visa Changes & Rate of Exchange leaves many expats in a quandary

People have vastly different lifestyles and needs. Two changes would simplify everything. 

1) If an expat is not working illegally and is paying his rent, then good enough. Export the homeless. 

2) A campaign to get home country health care to pay for expat/tourist medical care not exceeding what they would pay at home. In most cases it would save their home country much money over that same care at home. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Daveyh said:

Now that my pensions have dipped slightly below the 800,000 baht mark due to the baht being 38/£ I will be forced to open an account here to top up the difference.

10 hours ago, coppywriter said:

OP if you have been here on a retirement extension for 20 years, why are you keeping 800,000 bht in the bank. Back then it was much less and was grandfathered, surely.

He's not.  He quite clearly states that his PENSIONS have fallen below the mark, not his savings.  In fact he points out that he will have to open a bank account here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HHTel said:

Comparing 'farang food' in 'farangland'!

Now try comparing the price of Thai food there.  It works both ways.

Erm....no it doesn't. ????

What is Thai food exactly? Is chicken, beef and pork, Thai food? 

Would you prefer a high quality cooking oil or just the cheapest of the cheap in the cheapest kind of plastic in Thailand?

So we are taking about quality products just costing less here

I can buy the pastes and many of the raw ingredients of Thai food here nad even make my own coconut milk. But Thai food is not a staple. 

The food is better here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

When you factor in exchange rates and inflation many things are now cheaper in Europe. Som Tam might not be of course

If you have a place to stay, you're right. And in exchange you get better air, water, and food quality. The little extra that you have to pay counts towards the quality of products you buy. Health care is expensive. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

If you have a place to stay, you're right. And in exchange you get better air, water, and food quality. The little extra that you have to pay counts towards the quality of products you buy. Health care is expensive. 

Prove to me the water is better. Many studies have shown elevated oestrogen levels in water over there.

Men with breasts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JamJar said:

You could say the same about your perspective of the U.K.

Expensive, damp and miserable is not how it is for me. The weather is good, I have a hammock in my garden and the food here is of a good standard and relatively inexpensive.

Things change here, much as they do in Thailand.

I try to enjoy wherever I might be. It's my life after all. 

Take no notice of them mate, I wouldn't trade the stability of living in the UK for how Thailand seems to be at the moment, some of the aunty annies on here will make a bolt for the UK if it all goes belly up for them which is looking more and more likely all the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

So because you paid more, you imagine that mine isn't of a good quality. ????

LIDL discounts selected products on weekends.

First on the list is 500ml of Greek Extra Virgin olive oil. 77 baht

Second is Italian. Same 77 baht.

Not the cheaper ubiquitous Spanish olive oil you will find everywhere in Thailand or fake olive oil imported via the USA.

I don't think you can favourably compare the quality of the grapes you buy in Thailand with the grapes you buy in Europe. When was the last time you saw a Muscat variety in Thailand?

Salt your own crisps, 25 baht for 6 packs

Antipasti 120 grs of Proscuitto Crudo, Coppa and Milano salami. The cost in Thailand is 420 baht. I paid 40 baht.

200 gr of Smoked Salmon. 147 baht

200 grs of mixed unsalted nuts 50 baht

Stone baked sourdough roll with olives 11 baht

I'm sure that my diet is more healthy than yours and likely my weight. Did 50 km of hill training on my bike this morning.

I don't need to eat out often, as the foodstuffs available in the shops here far surpasses the quality of food in Thailand.

Do you love the chlorinated smell of the chicken there?

Even when I do eat out, I choose carefully. 

I haven't stepped into a Greggs since I was at school.

In conclusion, I'm happy spending my summers in the UK and my winters in Thailand. But only because of the weather. My quality of life is relatively good in both places.

It's not just about what is the cheapest.

You are treated much as a second class citizen in Thailand. You cannot own land and can be blocked almost arbitrarily.

So no, I'm not burning my bridges or slagging off the U.K from afar. For all of it's fault, it is ours. 

Too true brother, they'll be all scuttling back with their tales between their legs before too long.

13 hours ago, coppywriter said:

OP if you have been here on a retirement extension for 20 years, why are you keeping 800,000 bht in the bank. Back then it was much less and was grandfathered, surely.

Always used a Letter of Income from British Embassy. Now it's been stopped without any consideration for pensioners, hence the problem. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sexyman said:

Get an agent to do it. 12,500 all done. They even do the 90 day reporting for you. Too easy. 

Not for Baht 12500!

For that amount the "agent" is stamping your passport with a fake visa.

The rate is Baht 20000 + 5000 for the agent= Baht 25000- for the real thing.

6 hours ago, JamJar said:

So because you paid more, you imagine that mine isn't of a good quality. ????

LIDL discounts selected products on weekends.

First on the list is 500ml of Greek Extra Virgin olive oil. 77 baht

Second is Italian. Same 77 baht.

Not the cheaper ubiquitous Spanish olive oil you will find everywhere in Thailand or fake olive oil imported via the USA.

I don't think you can favourably compare the quality of the grapes you buy in Thailand with the grapes you buy in Europe. When was the last time you saw a Muscat variety in Thailand?

Salt your own crisps, 25 baht for 6 packs

Antipasti 120 grs of Proscuitto Crudo, Coppa and Milano salami. The cost in Thailand is 420 baht. I paid 40 baht.

200 gr of Smoked Salmon. 147 baht

200 grs of mixed unsalted nuts 50 baht

Stone baked sourdough roll with olives 11 baht

I'm sure that my diet is more healthy than yours and likely my weight. Did 50 km of hill training on my bike this morning.

I don't need to eat out often, as the foodstuffs available in the shops here far surpasses the quality of food in Thailand.

Do you love the chlorinated smell of the chicken there?

Even when I do eat out, I choose carefully. 

I haven't stepped into a Greggs since I was at school.

For all of it's fault, it is ours. 

In conclusion, I'm happy spending my summers in the UK and my winters in Thailand. But only because of the weather. My quality of life is relatively good in both places.

It's not just about what is the cheapest.

You are treated much as a second class citizen in Thailand. You cannot own land and can be blocked almost arbitrarily.

So no, I'm not burning my bridges or slagging off the U.K from afar.

I will agree with you western food is cheaper than here as it should be, Milk and cheese for 2.

But you seem to have missed out how much you have to pay out just to live there in the first place. Once you have added that you are pounds out.

The price I quoted for utility bills 467 a month didn't include the TV licence. Add the fuel prices at less than 1/2 here and your on your way. Compare that to my utility bills here at less than 100 a month and I know where I would sooner be.

Re it being ours when I last travelled on the underground I think I was the only one in the carriage that spoke English.

Summer what summer? I left the UK on June the 10th and had to ware my ski jacket to go to the airport. To save you looking it up it was raining and bloody cold. As it had been all the time (except for 1 day) I was there. Taxi I used had his heating on.

Enjoy your so called 2.1/2 months of summer. Just remember that in 2 months you will be having the C/heating on.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, The Cobra said:

Can someone please explain how this is illegal ?

• The agents are clearly visible and advertise what they do.
  • The Visa is issued by the required authority, and by a an immigration officer who has the authority to issue such a visa.
  • The Senior Officer has the discretionary power to issue such a visa without ANY financial proof if he deems appropriate

So, given the above, how the heck is it illegal ???

Manipulating the regs, yes, taking advantage of a situation, yes, illegal ? cant see it.

The only possible recourse would be against the issuing officer, not the recipient, and that aint gonna happen, he may get moved to open seat, but another would soon takeover, its too big a money generator to ever get stopped. imho.

Well put my friend... and all organized by Thai people in Thailand, where military coups are not only legal, but the preferred way to govern. Talking about what is illegal in Thailand is absurd IMO. The very foundation of the laws in Thailand could be considered illegal. Better we leave that word at home where it belongs and get with the program.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Serves you right, get down to Wetherspoons and get a pint of Ruddles for about  £2.10. A visit to Greggs beforehand for a sausage roll and a pastie will see you straight. Bloody Latte, do you make your own blouses? ????

When was the last time you had a pint of Ruddles in the UK??? I'll tell you something you aren't going to get one for 2.10p anymore. Well not in London. Try 5/6 pounds plus plus plus. 

I used a latte as an example because a lot of Peeps can equate to that. You then suggested that I go to Greggs. Was I surprised to see that you live in the Pattaya area well No. You must fit in well there with your comments.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe I'm just a cheap oddball - but pork and rice from 7/11 is ok enough for one of my meals a day (sometimes 2)  and at less than 30 baht - and fully heated to save electric bill !!

hate the microwaved food at 7/11

prefer to pay double ( 60 baht) for a made to order rice & pork,or rice and chicken dish which includes a small soup an free water with ice

32 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

When was the last time you had a pint of Ruddles in the UK???

September 2018, a lot of them. Not everybody lives in London you know, did I mention London? Did you?

John Smiths is usually cheaper still! You need to get out more.

You were talking about the price of a Latte in the UK for some unknown reason, and I suggested an alternative. I actually think costs in UK for food and drink are pretty cheap. (Although I am from the depressed north).

What on Earth has my living in Pattaya got to do with it? I chose the most fun place in the country !

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bandito said:

Not for Baht 12500!

For that amount the "agent" is stamping your passport with a fake visa.

The rate is Baht 20000 + 5000 for the agent= Baht 25000- for the real thing.

Your so wrong mate

19 hours ago, Daveyh said:

Hi folks .......... Well it's been a run of almost 20yrs for me here on a retirement visa. My visa expires on 20th July & I visited Jomtien to check up on the rules. I don't think many pensioners will like the option of transferring 65,000 Thai baht from their overseas accounts each month, especially with the fluctuation & the strength of the Thai Baht.

Now that my pensions have dipped slightly below the 800,000 baht mark due to the baht being 38/£ I will be forced to open an account here to top up the difference.

That was pretty good, 20 years of relative stability.

Is the combo method on or off for next year, will it be in fashion or not, there was a post the other day that suggests that it's still on for the O-A visa from London.

I'm not established continuously in Thailand yet, and I only have a 40k/m target (today anyway)

I've found the cheapest and most reliable to bring the money from the UK is the HALIFAX to Krungsri FCD totalling about 600/baht a transfer, 9.50 GDP for the Transfer SWIFT pounds to pounds, & I think it is about 200 Baht up (0.25%) for the deposit fee into the account. Then withdraw at their published TT rate via debit card (at their ATMs) electronic card for over the counter, or transfer to a THB account (if they will let you open one.) I was speculating that since all the money comes from the UK , I would transfer exactly 40100 baht to a THB account, every month. 

Some say if you intend to say here, you should invest here, its like the chicken and the egg,  with one party missing! Time now I can't see any proportional response to encourage such (past stability, would not appear to be a guide to future performance).

So for now I'm going to transfer one of my pensions, 12 months after it was paid in the UK, into a bank in Thailand. At the it was paid to me, it was worth  43346 baht (net) and on Friday, when it was transferred to the Thai bank, only 37552 baht (net). No pension can keep up with that amount of change! That pension is the one with the highest indexation so sometime it should catch-up! The thing is without that embassy letter it is now it is net, before it could be gross I understand.

In summary (in my view, after reading many posts)

Can't plan and will not draw additional resources here to compensate, will stick to the original plan when I finished work in the UK (early) only last year!

Will adopt a minimal approach to assets here, only need 90 days of resources here now (only VISA they will give me from the UK) plus a deposit account, which will act as a medical self insurance fund (gets topped up every week when I'm here). Anything else must be owned by the Wife, Son, or Daughter!

The UK is still the best place to be May-Sept...(wife has her work, and the Son has his education here so not do-able).

Transferring 65000 here in Thai baht, is precarious to get right every month, with my luck there would be a spike in the market and one transfer would be 64999 (I think there is another post on such frustration).

Hope you can find a personalised solution, other than having to resort to an agent that may be involved in non-compliant procedures!

Edited by UKresonant