Retirement Visa Changes & Rate of Exchange leaves many expats in a quandary

35 minutes ago, Pormax said:

Thank you Ubonjoe for a helpful response. Cleared things up quite nicely so can breath easier. A pity that this forum is hijacked with so many just being sarcastic or having a go at each other, that is why I hardly use the forum now.

If you used it more often you just would not believe the number of people coming on quoting totally erroneous "facts".

????

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 6:45 AM, Mitkof Island said:

AGAIN nothing has really changed. Its mostly made up drama over a lot of nothing. Put 800,000 in a Thai bank account and leave it there. End of problems.

Is the income method similarly unchanged?  I had many years of extensions based on my retirement "income"  (investment income paid to my accounts outside Thailand) and confirmed by my embassy (Ireland).  After this spell of 2years hospital treatment I would like to go back to Thailand again.

Edited by jpinx

4 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Nasty

Thanks.. I greeted one of the typical Euro/US Trash lowlife poor scumbags a few days ago, he answered:

<deleted> off!

How do I know it was trash?

Well.. driving totally p!ssed on an old worn out  Honda Dream at 10.30 AM, dirty as a homeless, he looked like a total wreck, as the motorcy, perfect fit.

I don´t want to be associated with trash like that anymore, it´s enough, get them out of this country, and maybe these very small changes of the rules can help with that.

Edited by wilailuk

10 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

And all that money sitting in a bank here earns just about enough to buy som tam a couple of times a year

It would fare little better in a bank account elsewhere. Invested, yes you could do better. But it isn't just the som tam, the benefit is living in a country with a great climate, reasonably agreeable people and, if you want it, pleasures of your dreams the local home vet club cannot provide. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There are two police orders that amended the existing police orders.

There is one that was issued in December for the new income option and another one for the 800k baht in the bank option that was issued in January and went into effect on March first.

Download this one for the money in the bank option. Police Order 35/2562 Changing 327/2557 Clause 2.22 

Any chance you could post the download for the monthly transfer option ? thanks in anticipation.

15 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

And all that money sitting in a bank here earns just about enough to buy som tam a couple of times a year

I don't think you have any idea of interest here.

This year I will receive around 30th bht interest from my Thai bank deposit acc: 15+th twice a year after tax deducted. No fortunes, but Better than nothing. Hopefully will buy several Som Tams. Might even get a small steak???

I have 3 bank accounts in the UK and they do pay out almost as much. That's if you cant do maths.

One paid 5 pounds last tax year just over 3 after tax.

Just had a letter from other one this morning that my saver account has paid me a grand total of 0.28p for the year 2018/19 as luck would have it they didn't take any tax. My offshore account pays nothing.

Note to self, as Fairynuff advised put all my monies back in the UK.

Any advice F/N on what to spend it all on will help no end.  

I've just returned from Korat IO where wifey and i spoke to the Chief IO to inform her that i could'nt evidence that my transfers had come from the UK by way of TW due to the fact they were not coded when credited to my SCB account as FRC (from abroad)

I took all my SCB bank statements (all printed off by me) from Jan this year to July together with the TW PDF's (all printed off by me) she had a good look and said "don't worry" all we want to see is that you are transferring money each month into your SCB account from abroad and she said that i can see from the evidence you have supplied.

I did inform her that in future (August onwards) i will do a swift transfer from my HSBC UK account direct into my SCB account here and that will show as a foreign transaction, she was happy and once again said "don't worry". I'll have to just put up with the higher charges and bad exchange rate from SCB.

I think wifey had a good chat to her and said we've been married 13 years and living together here in Thailand and always transferred the money monthly from the UK and she did'nt want to lose her husband lol   

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2019 at 1:18 PM, Pumpuynarak said:

I've just returned from Korat IO where wifey and i spoke to the Chief IO to inform her that i could'nt evidence that my transfers had come from the UK by way of TW due to the fact they were not coded when credited to my SCB account as FRC (from abroad)

I took all my SCB bank statements (all printed off by me) from Jan this year to July together with the TW PDF's (all printed off by me) she had a good look and said "don't worry" all we want to see is that you are transferring money each month into your SCB account from abroad and she said that i can see from the evidence you have supplied.

I did inform her that in future (August onwards) i will do a swift transfer from my HSBC UK account direct into my SCB account here and that will show as a foreign transaction, she was happy and once again said "don't worry". I'll have to just put up with the higher charges and bad exchange rate from SCB.

I think wifey had a good chat to her and said we've been married 13 years and living together here in Thailand and always transferred the money monthly from the UK and she did'nt want to lose her husband lol   

This is turning pathetic!  one has to do SWIFT because Immigration do not like Transferwise?

Everyday is a new one!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snowballthecat said:

This is turning pathetic!  one has to do SWIFT because Immigration do not like Transferwise?

Everyday is a new one!

I believe the problem is that they can't verify the fact that TW PDF's you can supply are in fact genuine whereas a letter signed by your Thai bank poses no problem to them. As you probaly know everything in Thailand is believed to be fake unless you can prove otherwise, a terrible indictment of the country and its people imo.

In fairness to the very pleasant lady boss i saw she was happy to accept mine but i fear that in the future it may be a problem for me say if she got transferred or there was a directive from head office that only bank letters were acceptable proof, hopefully in the passage of time that will change and TW PDF's/bank statements will be accepted by all IO's.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 2:01 PM, snowballthecat said:

Everyday is a new one!

Immigration have been perfectly happy with all TW documents supplied for extensions, both retirement and marriage.

Please show a link to any report that says Immigration don't like Transferwise.

There hasn't been one single reported extension rejection due to TW transfers. There have been several reports of Immigration perfectly happy with TW documented transfers, even ones that have been coded SMT (local transfer) in peoples bankbooks, and have accepted them without question.

No need to lose money doing Swift.

Edited by sumrit