Health Insurance....Broker or direct

wgdanson

I am in the process of taking out a new Health Insurance policy with a company who's name sounds like an angry ocean!

The rep in Bangkok suggests I do it directly with them as they have a 24 hour phoneline whereas the broker is only office hours.

The Broker in Pattaya, who's name is that of a fine single malt whisky, tells me that a good broker will fight his clients case if in the event of a claim the company starts arguing and trying to not pay up.

The premium is the same whichever I use.

Any advice or experience please, anyone.

I'm in the same situation.  I'm not happy with the current policy which I have through my broker, due to their ridiculous "semi-private" room clause.  I'm in touch with one company who seem to have a big, "luminous", presence in Thailand, and their policy looks good.  My broker doesn't seem to want to deal with them (or they don't want to deal with him!), so I'm considering going direct.

My car insurance came via a broker. If I have an accident and require urgent assistance I expect to call the insurance helpline and not the broker. I would expect that to be the same with urgent health issues.

So I would say that it probably makes no real difference whether you buy direct or not as once you have bought you can always deal directly with the insurer if you prefer. I do like the way that the broker sends me reminders and as I can always park right outside her office I will continue to use her. And maybe she may even help with paperwork if I ever need to make an insurance claim.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Any advice or experience please, anyone.

For car (and I realise that is not what you are asking) I would definitely go via a broker you trust - from personal experience some years ago they were very useful.

For health I think it depends on the company and their customer service levels and presence and how much clout the broker may have with that company.

I recall a well known poster complaining about Cigna (well known/established international based insurer) customer service for example. Would a local based organisation (like "an angry ocean") be any better - not sure. 

I tend to agree with @KittenKong  generally that going via a broker can give added support. However you could also argue if you need that you should choose a different insurer........... 

4 minutes ago, topt said:

For car (and I realise that is not what you are asking) I would definitely go via a broker you trust - from personal experience some years ago they were very useful.

For health I think it depends on the company and their customer service levels and presence and how much clout the broker may have with that company.

I recall a well known poster complaining about Cigna (well known/established international based insurer) customer service for example. Would a local based organisation (like "an angry ocean") be any better - not sure. 

I tend to agree with @KittenKong  generally that going via a broker can give added support. However you could also argue if you need that you should choose a different insurer........... 

Thanks for that. Unfortunately choosing a different insurer is not always possible if you are over a certain age!

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

My car insurance came via a broker. If I have an accident and require urgent assistance I expect to call the insurance helpline and not the broker. I would expect that to be the same with urgent health issues.

So I would say that it probably makes no real difference whether you buy direct or not as once you have bought you can always deal directly with the insurer if you prefer. I do like the way that the broker sends me reminders and as I can always park right outside her office I will continue to use her. And maybe she may even help with paperwork if I ever need to make an insurance claim.

When I had a problem at the hospital I called the broker and she provided the information.  Same when my wife had an accident called the broker.  

7 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

I deal with the Sales Director (direct number) at the Angry Ocean, very accommodating and nice to speak with a Native English speaker. 

Mr McDermott? Of course both he and/or the Broker are after their commission..

27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Mr McDermott? Of course both he and/or the Broker are after their commission..

No ! actually got his title wrong, the correct one is Director of Client Relationship and i'm not sure if his salary is commission based.

18 hours ago, wgdanson said:

They are the 'Angry Ocean' with whom I am applying ! Didn't want to advertise.

Just being pedantic here but Pacific would be the opposite of angry. Had me a tad confused trying to figure out which company you were referring to.

31 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

Would not utilizing a broker increase costs?  Surely someone is paying that commission.

Not according to a salesperson at Pacific.

I did get an email from a car insurance broker who offered to forego some of his commission if I went through his company as opposed to directly.

Archived