Returning to CM - How has it changed?

fhickson

how about nightlife, is it still closing down at midnight?

there was always one bar with troublemakers and fights near the moat that remained open until the wee hours (not zoe in yellow). maybe its still there or some new ones popped up.

Edited by fhickson

Rents have dropped, the result of a glut of condo and moo baan developments. Food prices have edged up a bit. Traffic around school times is insane, I stay out of the 8 am and 4 pm tangles. Pollution this year in the smoke season of March was the worst I've experienced in ten years.

Plenty of women looking for a farang ATM.

11 hours ago, fhickson said:

there was always one bar with troublemakers and fights near the moat that remained open until the wee hours (not zoe in yellow). maybe its still there or some new ones popped up.

Most close just after midnight.  But there are a couple that bend the rules.  Example, last night I left a bar at about 5 in the morning.  The problem is, that most of bars are empty these days.  The bar you were talking about was probably Spicy.  Same issues as before.

Edited by AAArdvark
  • Like 1

It is different than Bangkok. There are some areas in Bangkok that you won’t see Chinese tourists. I did not see any in Fashion Island 2 months ago. You will see Chinese tourists all over the Chiang Mai, but lots of them around Maya and Festival. Beware of those who ride motorcycles. Too many young farang looking for jobs and opportunity to stay just like Chinese girls. Some Thai from other cities looking for business opportunity here as well. Nothing like 10 years ago that was a real peaceful city. It has become just a big city, a mini BKK (too many cars, motorbikes and diesel red cars). 

5 years ago I could get a large Heineken for 110b, 130b for a large Chang now at “Warm Up”. 

I’ll move soon, in less than a mount. The only thing I’ll miss is the cool nights in Dec and Jan.

Welcome back and good luck. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Theory said:

It is different than Bangkok. There are some areas in Bangkok that you won’t see Chinese tourists. I did not see any in Fashion Island 2 months ago. You will see Chinese tourists all over the Chiang Mai, but lots of them around Maya and Festival. Beware of those who ride motorcycles. Too many young farang looking for jobs and opportunity to stay just like Chinese girls. Some Thai from other cities looking for business opportunity here as well. Nothing like 10 years ago that was a real peaceful city. It has become just a big city, a mini BKK (too many cars, motorbikes and diesel red cars). 

5 years ago I could get a large Heineken for 110b, 130b for a large Chang now at “Warm Up”. 

I’ll move soon, in less than a mount. The only thing I’ll miss is the cool nights in Dec and Jan.

Welcome back and good luck. 

It depends on where one goes in Chiang Mai. My local restaurant sells large Heineken for 100 Baht, large Chang and Leo for 80 baht.

It's not rocket science. Drink at a clip joint, you will get clipped.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Most close just after midnight.  But there are a couple that bend the rules.  Example, last night I left a bar at about 5 in the morning.  The problem is, that most of bars are empty these days.  The bar you were talking about was probably Spicy.  Same issues as before.

why are the bars empty if there are more people around?

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 4:43 PM, orang37 said:

Everything that was great and good is now the opposite, and vice-versa.

~o:37;

Orange37 has nailed it right on.  CM is a hell hole.  Dirty, angry, crowded, polluted and polluted heavily in thick cancer causing smog 4-5 months guaranteed every year, etc...hope you like it enough to sacrifice your life.  Otherwise, its a great place to get some gas for a visit...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Orange37 has nailed it right on.  CM is a hell hole.  Dirty, angry, crowded, polluted and polluted heavily in thick cancer causing smog 4-5 months guaranteed every year, etc...hope you like it enough to sacrifice your life.  Otherwise, its a great place to get some gas for a visit...

im sensing some real negativity here.

i will do a month rather then two and keep my options open. need to come in to visit my old dentist.

another red flag was the younger bloke i arranged housing with said he was returning to the uk because it was high season in cm. huh? thus, the question.

6 minutes ago, fhickson said:

im sensing some real negativity here.

i will do a month rather then two and keep my options open. need to come in to visit my old dentist.

another red flag was the younger bloke i arranged housing with said he was returning to the uk because it was high season in cm. huh? thus, the question.

Its not negativity.  Just blunt Truth.   However, there is an amazing dentist, husband/wife trained in UCLA there.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:12 AM, fhickson said:

Nightlife, in C M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thou jest assuredly.

The city fathers want everyone to eat well and expensively, then go home or to hotel nice and early, so they can go look at more temples in the morning.

Even the tours are <deleted> I had a river tour with 2 different companies and both were dire.

The best sightseeing is outside the city- Doi Inthanon was worthwhile, but there are only so many tours that one can do, before realising that there just isn't much to do in C M.

I watched a lot of tv and spent a lot of time on TVF when I was there.

I lived close to the main bar area, but it was so boring ( and expensive ) I didn't bother. DVDs were way more exciting.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fhickson said:

why are the bars empty if there are more people around?

Expensive, boring, can't think of anything good to say about them. I guess most are like me and just can't be bothered with them as nothing positive about them that I can see.

I did visit one near the start of my time in C M and the mama san was incredibly rude, so I never went back.

• Like 1